BTS Checking Passports

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: BTS Checking Passports

Post by Jun »

fountainhall wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:09 am As I understand it, the reason stated was to prevent money laundering!!! The Rabbit cards can be used for a variety of financial purposes including transport, shops and restaurants. Apparently the BTS told the public that the move was in accordance with anti-money-laundering legislation passed about 20 years ago. Rabbit Cards could be used for illicit financial activities and therefore must be registered!
Bonkers. If I am not mistaken, cash can also be used for all the same purchases, so why would someone want to use a Rabbit card for money laundering?

Furthermore, I don't need ID when paying into a bank account or with ATM withdrawals.
My ID is checked once when opening the account & just occasionally when making other critical changes to the account.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Sorry I don’t know if a passport is needed on topping up!

I filled my Rabbit card to the max the day before the new regulations came in. Realizing today that I would finally have to top up, I did so at Phayathai station using the cashier at the south end. There was no queue. I had my passport in my hand - but the cashier said he did not need it! TIT!
Asia Traveler

Post by Asia Traveler »

I recently purchased a Rabbit card used it at Duncan Doughnuts Monday and it worked effortlessly. Just tap and go.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

I registered my Rabbit card soon after it became compulsory. I have never had to produce my ID when topping up since.
A friend on holiday from the UK registered his card on this visit. Then twice after that when topping up was asked for his passport even when he protested that it was already registered.

I thought that I would register with LINE PAY so that I could top up my Rabbit card by my internet banking. They demanded identification of a close up photo of my Passport and a wider photo of me holding the passport. I used my Thai driving license and my identification was rejected. Why should I go through all this for the privilege of letting them look after my money?