Koh Samui

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

Koh Samui

Post by Trongpai »

We just got back from a one week trip to Koh Samui, Surat Thani, Koh PhaNgan and Kho Tao. Just like there must be 50 ways to leave your lover there must be 50 different ways to get to the Southern Gulf of Thailand islands. We opted to fly from Don Muang Bangkok to Surat Thani on Thai Lion (very reasonable) and rent a car from the airport. One day and night exploring Surat Thani and then drive to the Seatran ferry terminal 66 km from city center Surat. Seatran has new modern comfortable and fast ferries. There's many other options like Raja Ferry. One car and two persons 550B. It was an hour and a half crossing. First time I did this it took several hours on an old barge, this was a big improvement.
https://www.seatranferry.com/

Koh Samui is part of an 80 island archipelago 6 of which are occupied: Phangan, Taloy, Tao ,Taen, Mako anf Tapao. Most of the reefs are under National Park management. The purpose of the trip was centered on sea activities, diving, snorkeling, swimming and island hopping via boat. Since I have never seen a post about open sea diving or muff diving as well I'll skip over all that and if anyone is interested PM me.

We based ourselfs in Koh Samui at BoPut Beach at http://www.hansarsamui.com/
Our previous visits to Samui we stayed at the main beach area, Hat Chaweng and were not very impressed. We found BoPut much better, quieter and I was surprised at the quality and variety of beach side restaurants, Thai, Italian, Tapas, an Irish bar, Greek, Australian steaks grill, and American food at reasonable prices and good quality. Both cheaper and much better than anything on offer at Chaweng. In my first visit to Samui 20 years ago the only farang food was German, run by Germans and patronized by Germans. Germans were everywhere, even the Thais spoke Thai with a German accent and greeted everyone with a guten tag. Now, in one week I did not hear a single person speaking German. I did not see any German restaurants. Where did the Germans go?

Gay Stuff
Since this was a trip with my BF my experiences with gay Samui is restricted to casual observation. We did not do any late nights as most every day we had boat trips to other islands and reefs planned in the morning. https://www.travelgayasia.com/destinati ... gay-samui/

"Alpha Gay Resort & Spa First ever resort in Samui Island, Thailand exclusive to gay men only." No personal experience I just walked by it and it had a lot of customers and looks nice. If I was going to Samui as a single traveler I would surely stay here.
https://alphagayresort.com/

There's no gogo bars but there's a few host/massage bars. The scene a little on the quiet side, slow season and all. Lots of attractive smiling "hosts".
https://k-club-koh-samui.business.site/

Nearby there's a gay massage shop you can't miss with all the rainbow flags. http://www.samuimensspa.com/

I did dabble (look) in some of the apps and had many hits from attractive guys looking for a "date". Not all were in Chaweng too. I think some are working in the hotel hospitality services and looking for "dates" during their off hours.

Bottom line, you can go to Samui as a single gay and easily find a date, a BS (ST or LT) and have a good time.

Like Phuket Island transportation remains exploitative. There used to be a lot of songthows, now only a few and mostly empty. Many rent motorbikes and other just get around on foot. That works if you just stay in Chaweng. We got around all that with a rental car. There's also new beach to beach water taxis/boats. Sorry, I did not notice the prices.

I've been visiting Koh Samui for many years. First, as I said before, it used to be a German destination and then they left. Then the Russians came and they left. I did not hear either German or Russian all week. Now, there's some package Chinese but not a lot--can't get those huge buses on the island. Everyday before going on a boat we had to sign a National Park register log, name, from, age etc at the departure pier. I looked at the list and it was mostly USA, France, OZ, and some SE Asian countries. Also the average age was 25! I did see some old people at breakfast and in the restaurants but on the sea and under the sea it's a young mans game.

I think that Kho Samui is an excellent destination. I don't know why it gets so little mention on the boards. I do like Pattaya but there are other by-the-sea locations.
Dodger

Re: Koh Samui

Post by Dodger »

Trongpai,

I really enjoyed your trip report and it sounds like you guys had a blast.

You've now got me thinking of a return trip, my first and only trip being 7 or 8 years ago.

Cheers
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Trongpai,

Your posts are so informative and useful! Thanks.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Trongpai wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:47 am
Bottom line, you can go to Samui as a single gay and easily find a date, a BS (ST or LT) and have a good time.
Could some one please explain what the term "BS" means in this forum?

BS=boyfriend substitute?

English is not my native language, although I studied, lived, and worked in the U.S. for many years, and can usually "pass" as American.

I know that "BS" usually means bullshit, but here BS is an abbreviation for what??
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

BS=Boy Special. Dodger coined the term several years ago and might have a copyright. Not quite a BF= boyfriend but someone more than a ST=short time one night stand or one hour sexual encounter.

LT = long time. Generally at least overnight. Three LT in a row and he's your BF.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Trongpai,

Thanks for the explanation -- and for all your useful posts!

BS--Boy Special -- interesting and useful term. And thanks to Dodger for coining it.

Some members of this forum, with their clever use of words, could make a fortune in advertising!
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

I always treasure Trongpai's posts as being accurate, devoid of any gossip or bitchiness.
They are always well and interestingly written and to be trusted.
Trongpai would get my vote as number 1 contributor over the years on the three boards.
But I digress -- the only thing that I miss from his posts is public transport. He has access to rental or other transport which a lot of us living here or visiting do not.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Trongpai wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:59 pm BS=Boy Special. Dodger coined the term several years ago and might have a copyright. Not quite a BF= boyfriend but someone more than a ST=short time one night stand or one hour sexual encounter.

LT = long time. Generally at least overnight. Three LT in a row and he's your BF.
Wow...You remember that! That term was spawned about 15 years ago.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Bangkokian and Werner99
Thank you for the kind words.

OK, here's some public transport info from my perspectives and experience but the experience part might be dated.

To Get to Samui: There's a lot of options. First, flying from Bangkok direct to Koh Samui airport by either Bangkok Air or Thai Airways. Take a look at fares ,they tend to be on the expensive side. Compare that to flying to Surat Thani and taking the boat. Quite easy to do as there's both a Seatran and Raya transportation desks that have shuttles to the pier timed to depart with air arrivals. Seatran has a boat leaving on the hour. I don't know the exact costs but it can't be much. So, this alternative route will cost you around three extra hours but it's a pleasant journey. When I was here on holiday many years ago with limited time I did opt for a direct flight to Kho Samui. Perhaps the Surat Thani route was not an option back then?

The bus option is quite a long haul from Bangkok. The bus takes you right to the boat and the boat ride is included in the fare around 800B. I think the buses leave from the Southern Bus Terminal in Bangkok. I did notice a bus schedule at the Samui port, departs Samui 1800 and arrives Bangkok 0530. I noticed that this over night journey was the only option. I don't know why?

There's also a train that's even cheaper but only overnight. Train fare also includes transport to the peir and the boat. I think they depart from Bang Sue station now. Probably uncomfortable and I have no personal experience.

Mini Van from KhoSan road. That's cheap and I imagine quite uncomfortable. No personal experience.

Least anyone think I'm being extravagant with a rental car, not really. We set up our sea adventures directly with the boat company rather than the hotel travel desk. The travel desks tell you free pick up and return but in reality, they charge you 200B per person each way for hotel pick up and on top of that add around 25% to the total trip costs as a commission. We drive to the pier and end up saving around 1,500-2000B on boat trip days and that pays for the rental. Then we have a car to use around the island in the evening or days we don't go out to sea.

Transportation as I said in my original post on the island is problematic. There's songthews and taxis but they price gouge. Prices start at 200B and go up to who's knows what. Motorbike rentals are cheap and popular if your so inclined--personally I just don't feel safe on one especially on all the mountainous and curvaceous roads.

If you're staying at Chaweng beach from the pier or airport there's transportation direct to your hotel for 200-300B Chaweng is small enough to get around only on foot unless you're disabled. Getting to BoPut where we found all the excellent restaurants will cost you 200B -300B per person for a short distance. A shame really!

From Samui you can take a passenger boats to PhaNgan and/or Tao and check into another hotel. Actually boats go to a lot of islands and main land destinations connecting to various forms of public transportation.

I also could have just drove from Bangkok with my own car but it's a long drive and the cost of a RT on Lion Air is just too cheap to pass up.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Thank you for the fine report Trongpai. This kind of thing is always good for finding inspiration for the next trip.

I haven't been to Ko Samui yet, but I have been from Surat Thani to Hua Hin on the train.
(i) Surat Thani station is a few km outside the city at PhunPhin. I got there on a bus which went right past my hotel and cost something like 10 baht.
(ii) The train was a Special Express. This was comfortable & had aircon. Obviously it's no Shinkansen, but I wouldn't choose any other way of getting from Surat Thani to Hua Hin. The train is way nicer than the bus.
(iii) There is a train from Bangkok to Surat Thani in the daytime. However, as it departs at 8:05 and supposedly arrives at 16:45, I imagine this is only of interest to people who either prefer train travel or want to stop somewhere on the route. Particularly considering onward connection times.

I did browse to Alpha gay resort & noted the rooms were THB 13500 per night. No doubt there may be discounts available somewhere, but elsewhere in Thailand I've had some fine hotels for less than 10% of that price.