Opening Thai Bank Account on Tourist Visa

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dimsumbear

Opening Thai Bank Account on Tourist Visa

Post by Dimsumbear »

I have always wanted to open a Thai account for future trips or even a second place to deposit my however small amount of funds. I have been rejected by all banks for not having a student or retirement visa. Is there a third way out?
Gaybutton

Re: Opening Thai Bank Account on Tourist Visa

Post by Gaybutton »

The easiest bank these days is K-Bank - Kasikorn Bank. If one branch says no, try another branch. Quite often what one branch says will be entirely different from the answer you get at another branch.

It has become increasingly difficult for farang to open a Thai bank account without already holding the retirement visa, which is a little strange because if you apply for the retirement visa within Thailand, you can only get it if you already hold a Thai bank account. Welcome to Thailand.

I cannot guarantee that you will be able to open the account, but some people fairly recently have managed to open an account at K-Bank. If they let you open the account, ask for online banking while you are there.

Let us know what happens and if you succeed, which type of visa you had.
Dimsumbear

Post by Dimsumbear »

A friend of a friend of mine did successfully open an account at Bangkok Bank on a normal tourist visa; but he was about to buy a place in Bangkok.

Not planning to buy a place anytime soon, didn't want to lie in order to open an account. Will try K-Bank when I come to Pattaya next month, and let's see how things go. Thanks Gaybutton!
Jun

Post by Jun »

It's quite a few years since I opened my Thai bank account, but when I did, the first Kasikorn branch said no and the second Kasikorn branch opened an account for me.
Incidentally, I have seen the same thing with overseas students in the UK.

So if I were really trying to open another Thai bank account, I would be prepared to try about 20 different bank branches before thinking about quitting. Preferably not on a Monday, considering waiting time.
It might just be worth googling a few forums to see if you can find out at which bank people have recently opened accounts.

Finally, Kasikorn charge 0 baht for ATM withdrawals in the same region as my branch (Bangkok) & 15 baht elsewhere in Thailand. Not a big deal, but it might make sense to make a good effort to open an account where you spend most of your time.
Dimsumbear

Post by Dimsumbear »

Thanks Jun. I suspect I have nothing better to do in Pattaya during the day anyway so it maybe wise to do a few bank run (no pun intended)
Alex

Post by Alex »

Jun wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:00 pm Finally, Kasikorn charge 0 baht for ATM withdrawals in the same region as my branch (Bangkok) & 15 baht elsewhere in Thailand. Not a big deal, but it might make sense to make a good effort to open an account where you spend most of your time.
If you use their K PLUS app, you can do a cardless withdrawal free of charge at their ATMs anywhere in Thailand. That's what I do nowadays when traveling outside of my region.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:10 pm If you use their K PLUS app, you can do a cardless withdrawal free of charge at their ATMs anywhere in Thailand.
I have the app, but never tried it for an ATM withdrawal. Does it have to be a K-Bank ATM or does it work at any ATM?
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

As I live in Chiang Mai, my comments may be of limited value to someone trying to open an account in Pattaya, so I stand to be corrected.
Some branches of banks are much more used to dealing with foreigners than others and it can be easier to open accounts in them. Here, that includes the branches in the older shopping malls.
Some people say the following makes no difference, but I think it does. Bring some smart clothes with you - tailored trousers and shirt. It is not gong to help if you roll up at the bank in beachwear and flipflops.
What nationality are you? It is much harder for an American to open an account. You may blame your own government for that, because of the reporting requirements they have forced onto the Thai banks.
You might be able to get a single entry, non-immigrant "O" visa in your home country. That might make it easier.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

ceejay wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:14 am
Some people say the following makes no difference, but I think it does. Bring some smart clothes with you - tailored trousers and shirt. It is not gong to help if you roll up at the bank in beachwear and flipflops.
What nationality are you? It is much harder for an American to open an account.
These comments are accurate.

(1) If you want to enter a country -- or do business in a foreign without hassles, dress formally and neatly.

(2) Passports DO make a difference. I have a Swiss passport, and have been able to open bank accounts in several countries with only a tourist visa.