Overstayers - The Real Enemy

Anything and everything about Thailand
windwalker

Re: Overstayers - The Real Enemy

Post by windwalker »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:00 pm No. They get fined. You listed misdemeanors. Intentionally overstaying a visa, that's a felony. I'll repeat - Thailand does not imprison, heavily fine, deport, and ban people from returning for petty misdemeanors. They do that for felonies. Why isn't that getting through to you?
My post was directed to Fountainhall; I was looking for his response, not yours.
It seems that Christian and I are in agreement.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:50 am My post was directed to Fountainhall; I was looking for his response, not yours.
You merely quoted Fountainhall. Nothing in your post indicates you wanted a response only from him.

In any case, it doesn't work that way. On this board there is no such thing as restrictions on who can respond to any post they want. If you want a private response from someone, send him a PM.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

windwalker wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:39 pm Not wearing a helmet on a motorbike is a crime; driving without a license is a crime; engaging in prostitution is a crime; not filing a TM 30 is a crime: not reporting every 90 days is a crime; when does it end? Do we boot out all these "criminals" ?
As far as the law is concerned, a misdemeanour is still a criminal offence, albeit a lesser one than a felony. It is therefore a crime. The only difference between a misdemeanour and a felony is that one is a lesser offence which attracts a lesser punishment.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

I know someone who was given a 6 month suspended sentence for working without a permit. He was not deported.
I have to say that if the crime is overstaying - ie remaining in the country illegally - then deportation seems a logical response from the Thai authorities.
I have said before that I believe that previous tightening of enforcement that has happened from time to time on all manner of immigration rules and laws has been a response not so much to infractions, as to the way that people have, all over the net, boasted about it openly. A while back, when the crackdown was on border runs to get serial 30 day visa exemptions, reference was made by the authorities to websites where information was exchanged on how to get round the law. My understanding of how things work in Thailand is that, if you are getting round the rules some way, fine - but keep your head down and your mouth shut.
Overstaying and illegal working are not victimless in the eyes of the Thai authorities - and it is their opinion that counts, because it is their country.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ceejay wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:49 am Overstaying and illegal working are not victimless in the eyes of the Thai authorities - and it is their opinion that counts, because it is their country.
And not victimless to me either. Some have convinced themselves these crimes are victimless. They might even successfully convince others. Terrific! Now all you need to do is convince immigration . . .