New Health Insurance Requirements Announced O-A

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: New Health Insurance Requirements Announced O-A

Post by Dodger »

Up2u wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:08 am
Dodger wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:22 pm Anybody hear anything different lately?
The reports on TV are completely opposite from your friends experience in Buriram.
Which TV programs are you hearing these reports on?

Unfortunately, the only glimmer of hope people are going to receive, if there is a glimmer, are direct reports coming from retirees who are going through the extension process.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:26 am Which TV programs are you hearing these reports on?
As long as it isn't Fox News, does that matter? To my mind, with the possible exception of Buriram we're right back to square one - meaning nobody can be sure what will happen until they go to immigration wherever they live and find out for themselves, whether to extend, renew, or whatever it's called. Even then, considering the number of times we've heard about people getting different answers within the same immigration office, I don't see how we can be certain of anything.

Again and again, the best and in my opinion only thing to do is to go to immigration as far in advance of the expiration date as possible - usually 1 month. That way, if you are told you must have insurance from one of the TGIA companies, at least you'll have time to either get it or start packing.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

From the context and many posts, TV is not television but the ThaiVisa forums discussing this hot topic.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Up2u wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:08 pm From the context and many posts, TV is not television but the ThaiVisa forums discussing this hot topic.
I've been scanning Thaivisa (TV) frequently to see if any retirees have gone through the extension renewal process, and so far, at least from what I'm reading, there are no reports coming in as of yet.

Could you please share the link to the TV reports you''re referencing so we can all see these first-hand accounts.

I agree with GB wholeheartedly, that the only thing we can hang our hats on right now, are reports of what Immigration is actually requiring of retirees, thus the reason for my request.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:05 pm I agree with GB wholeheartedly, that the only thing we can hang our hats on right now, are reports . . .
Thank you, but that's not what I said and definitely not what I meant. For me, the only thing that's going to matter is what takes place when I go to immigration to extend my visa. Other than that, I don't care how many reports are posted or how many times people insist they know what to expect. As far as I'm concerned, none of it means a thing and I'm not about to rely on any of it.

What I wish immigration would do is put in writing - in clear, plain, correct English - exactly what we have to do step-by-step, what documents we have to produce, clarifying the financial requirements, and exactly what the insurance requirements are and for who. That is what I would rely on. Nothing else. I would also like a number to call and the immigration officer on the other end speaks fluent or near fluent English in case there is any reason to think the immigration officer you're dealing with is making up his own rules.

Maybe the rules and what to expect are clear to others, but from where I sit none of it is clear.

And, by the way, that app that's going to make address reporting, etc. easier (see: https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10058 ) - you know, the one that's coming soon - where is it? Maybe they're planning to release it the day Eros reopens in Boyztown . . .
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:20 pm
Dodger wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:05 pm I agree with GB wholeheartedly, that the only thing we can hang our hats on right now, are reports . . .
Thank you, but that's not what I said and definitely not what I meant. For me, the only thing that's going to matter is what takes place when I go to immigration to extend my visa. Other than that, I don't care how many reports are posted or how many times people insist they know what to expect. As far as I'm concerned, none of it means a thing and I'm not about to rely on any of it.
Sorry for not getting that right. A statement you made earlier in this thread (as shown below) is what I was referring to:
We can question it, debate about it, listen to lawyers, or whatever from now to Kingdom Come, but the bottom line is we're not going to know much of anything until the new regulations come into effect and people start going to immigration and apply for visas and visa extensions.
In all honesty, all people are doing at this stage is trying to figure something out - that hasn't been figured out yet. Personally, I'm only interested in hearing first-hand reports because they give me a general idea which way the wind is blowing so I know how to dress the day I visit Immigration. Knowing that the wind can change direction at any time, I always carry a light jacket.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:43 pm a general idea which way the wind is blowing
A general idea is fine, but relying on it is a different thing. For me, no thanks. The closest I'll come to a general idea is if enough people to satisfy me report from the immigration office I go to and the reports are all consistent. That would give me an idea what to expect, but over the years I've learned not to count on anything until I'm there myself. I'm not going to rely on the unreliable.

That's why I wish they would put everything clearly, with no question about it, in writing so that at least you have something to fall back on if there are any unpleasant surprises.

No matter what, it still all depends on the immigration officer you're dealing with. If you think you've crossed all the Ts and dotted all the Is, but the officer says no, what do you think you can do about it?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:31 pm That's why I wish they would put everything clearly, with no question about it, in writing so that at least you have something to fall back on if there are any unpleasant surprises.
It's unimaginable that the Immigration Divisions refuse to do exactly what you're saying, unless there is an underlying reason why they do not.

Each of the 5 Immigration Divisions in Thailand maintain public websites which are intended to provide this type of information, although every single time there's a major immigration policy change these websites contain ZERO information regarding how the policy change(s) will be interpreted and enforced in each respective Division. If they communicated this information clearly to the public there would be no confusion. There may be disagreements over the content of the policy change(s), but no confusion. This gap in communications is "systemic" spanning all of Thailand's Immigration Divisions, and not just isolated to one or two Divisions, rendering this major lack of communications as being intentional.

The fact that they intentionally avoid posting these policy change(s) on their Division public websites, gives the impression that they are either not sure themselves of how the policy change(s) should be interpreted and enforced, fear their own capabilities to administer the change(s) within their Division, don't agree with the nature of the changes the way they are written, are fearful of any negative public repercussions related to the policy change(s), are fearful of compromising relationships with others in the political network, or, simply want to avoid any direct accountability for the policy change(s). I personally think all these factors come into play.

I knew that moving from one of the most modern countries in the world to a third-world country in SE Asia would have its challenges, so no big surprise there, but it sure would be nice to see some forward motion. This Ready-Fire-Aim crap is getting to be a bit much.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Up2u wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:08 am
Dodger wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:22 pm Anybody hear anything different lately?
The reports on TV are completely opposite from your friends experience in Buriram.
Up2u. I hate to badger you with this, but could you please link us to the TV reports you're referring to.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:21 am It's unimaginable that the Immigration Divisions refuse to do exactly what you're saying
Remember where you are. Imagine it.