Construction at the old Bondi at Dong Tan

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

Construction at the old Bondi at Dong Tan

Post by Trongpai »

On 9 Jan (Thursday) construction/wrecking crews showed up at the old Bondi and began some sort of major renovation or demolition. Lots of jack hammers, noise and cement dust. The Pirate Cove/Bar remains open but it's not pleasant with the constant noise, dust and vibrations.

I don't know what it will become. A new restaurant/bar/hotel or just a vacant lot? No one I spoke to at the Pirate Cove knew but commented that it's causing them problems.

The Bondi has been closed now for what 5-6 years? It's been slowly deteriorating into a slum building. The Room Club further down also appears to be in a state of deterioration.
mahjongguy

Re: Construction at the old Bondi at Dong Tan

Post by mahjongguy »

If I recall correctly, there was a sign up last year quoting 42 million baht for that double shophouse. I still can't think of any business that could possibly make enough return to justify such a price.
Jun

Post by Jun »

42 million baht (over a million pounds) for dilapidated premises on a road with other closed premises and vacant lots ?
With an asking price like that, I see why it remained closed for so long.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

If it becomes a new hotel you'll have a lovely view of a tangled mosaic of electrical and communication wires.

It's amazing how quickly a building in Thailand goes from new to derelict. I don't know the exact age of that building but it must have been in the mid to late 90's? I had some old 35mm photos of that corner taken in 93-4 and there was nothing there.

The first building to go in on that side was the Sugar Palm Hotel now the BB Inn around 1990. The area on that side was all wooded and slopped. There were a few thatched structures used as restaurants. A walk way was built and after one raining season it was washed out.

Mr. Ritt (Orange Chairs) started his beach concession in 1991 and has historic photos of the area on his phone if you're interested.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:12 am 42 million baht (over a million pounds)
I'm going to pass on buying the Bondi . . .
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

And here's the answer: it will be another 7-11. I kid you not.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

I should amend that. On further prodding of the translation of info provided, I'm not 100% certain if it's actually a 7-11 or just some other convenience store, because there was mention of a cafe upstairs.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

mahjongguy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:02 pm And here's the answer: it will be another 7-11. I kid you not.
You were correct. I'll be dammed a 7-11 next to another 7-11 around the corner. Three floors?

Jun

Post by Jun »

Trongpai wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:16 pm a 7-11 next to another 7-11 around the corner
Whilst 7-11 service is good, there seems to be a lack of competition in Thai grocery and convenience store retail, leading to what seems to be unreasonable prices for some items. Which are often the same in convenience stores and supermarkets.

A few weeks ago, I read about some Thai minister saying it would be a problem if the sale of Tesco to a large Thai competitor left one company with over 50% of the market. In most countries, a much lower limit is set. The UK recently blocked a Sainsburys takeover of Asda (Walmart subsidiary), who both have market shares in the 16% ballpark (give or take a few %).

Also, are 7-Eleven squeezing out Family Mart ? The Family Mart at the entrance to Boyztown closed, leaving 7-Eleven across the road to take all the business. Also, a 7-Eleven opened at the top end of the Nice Boys/Power Boys soi and within a year or so, the Family Mart was gone.

Anyhow, I don't mind an additional 7-Eleven. The one on the corner is always a little bit busy for my liking, so if another one splits off half the trade, that's good.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

The intriguing part of this new shop is the upstairs cafe. Note to seniors: watch those steps!