Winner Boys. Where is the owner or manager ?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Winner Boys. Where is the owner or manager ?

Post by Jun »

Below is a photo of Winner Boys at prime time just after 10 pm.
There were approximately 12 boys sat at one end with 3 customers.
An estimated 6 other boys either outside smoking, or generally flouncing around avoiding the stage.
Three other customers.
The stage was empty for most of the hour or so I was in there. Some boys in underwear avoid the stage, other than for a minute or so. A few were fully dressed and I have no idea what their purpose was, as only one did any waiting.

Incidentally, the lighting is not ideal, dazzling the customers and not illuminating the stage. So I expect to watch the boys move around and pick one after seeing them in one of the better lit parts of the stage. This doesn't work if the boys avoid the stage.

Who runs this place ?
They have a good selection of boys and very reasonable pricing. But customers are not going to show up if the stage is persistently empty and the boys are outside smoking or drinking in the corner.
I saw a few farang arrive and leave as soon as they saw the empty stage.

A bar with so much potential might benefit from some management.

Eventually I left and booked an adorable lad on Grindr.
Undaunted

Re: Winner Boys. Where is the owner or manager ?

Post by Undaunted »

Blame it in the Corona Virus or perhaps someone was offering discount sex change operations :lol:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

The owner is there earlier in the evening, but after he departs the dancers do seem to avoid the stage.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Has it occurred to anyone to tell the owner what goes on after he leaves?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:25 pm Has it occurred to anyone to tell the owner what goes on after he leaves?
This occurred to me, hence the title of the thread.
Winner Boys is doing many things right and I would like to see these issues fixed so the bar continues to thrive.
However, I couldn't see anyone who looked remotely like they were in charge when I was there. So I don't know who to speak to. I would probably e-mail the above photo to the owner, if I had an e-mail address and some indication that he might take an interest.

Also, I visit gogo bars with the idea of offing someone. I gather the off fee is higher before 10 pm so all the staff don't get offed and leave the bar empty. That's no use at all if no one is there to crack the whip and ensure the boys are on stage after 10:00 pm. If the owner is present earlier, his pricing structure discourages me from visiting at such times, so I am less likely to meet him.

Some management is needed.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Jun wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:45 pm I couldn't see anyone who looked remotely like they were in charge when I was there. So I don't know who to speak to. I would probably e-mail the above photo to the owner, if I had an e-mail address and some indication that he might take an interest.
His name is Paul and he's often sitting just to the left of the entrance. He is Danish and speaks fluent English. He is an experienced bar owner and quite friendly. If you took your observations and concerns to him he would be receptive. He has asked me for feedback several times. At first he allowed customers to smoke cigarettes inside the bar. We complained and he promptly prohibited smoking. Winner Bar has been a non-smoking bar ever since.

Forget e-mailing him. It's hard to fathom now days but there are still those who shun technology. He does not have an email. He's heard of the internet but has never been there. He does not know what a Gaybutton is.

When he's in house he often goes around offering a free apéritif to all.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Even someone like myself who has offed several lads from Winner still expects to see some boys on stage. Unless there's an outstanding prospect on stage, I like to wait for the full rotation before selecting a lad. The ones I have offed don't appear to work there any more, so grabbing the one I want upon arrival isn't my plan.

I kind of respect this guy Paul, if he avoids the internet. However, he's missing a marketing channel and a communication channel. Instead of sending a constructive e-mail with photo's, I've got the choice going there early to explain it or not bothering.
The easy option might win. As a stranger, I need to be quite diplomatic if explaining where improvement is needed. I'm not known for diplomacy.
Even if some constructive feedback is needed in order to keep the bar alive.
pong

Post by pong »

Is not the source of it all that (but thenI dk this place at all so just guessing) that all boys are freelance and just turn up if they feel like it and as they dont get any pay also feel they can do what they like? Pretty common method in many bars and also massageshops. In places that offer pay, the lads are usually also expected to have enough offs in the month to get their pay worth!
If owner cannot be there all the time he has to find a reliable and well paid for the job kind of mamasan (sorry for the word, just to indicate what type of manager is needed).
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I think GB's advice to just inform the owner is the only way to go.

Thais really have interesting work ethics.

I've noticed over the years that when Thais are working for themselves, either in a business they own and operate, or performing normal daily tasks, i.e. cleaning their homes, doing laundry, working in their gardens, working the farm fields etc., they typically seem extremely focused to task, and work hard, with little or no supervision, until the task is complete.

The opposite seems to occur when they're working for a farang as an "employee", where they have to be supervised continually, or else sanuk takes the place of work, and things just come to a halt

For those who don't know, sanuk (pronounced sanook) is a guiding principle of Thai social life, and means to have a good time, to have fun, to enjoy oneself and to derive pleasure and joy from something. It's almost a rule of life for Thai people that whatever they do, it has to be sanuk.

I've always appreciated this aspect of Thai culture, but many, especially the young Thais, will submerse themselves in sanuk and completely ignore their job responsibilities unless closely managed. I think this is one of the key reasons why so many farng-owned businesses in Thailand fail.
Jun

Post by Jun »

My normal approach to a deficient business is to go elsewhere.

However, Pattaya only has 9 male gogo bars and of those, only Winner, Cupidol and maybe Toy Boys are of much interest to me. And that's Pattaya, which is, as far as I know, the best place in the world for gogo bars at a reasonable price.
So, ideally I would like to provide some constructive feedback to the owner of Winner Boys. Mainly in the hope that he kicks some ass and keeps his business alive for longer.
He's just not making it easy, as I have to turn up early enough to meet him and should I then decide to off a lad, I believe the off fee is 50% higher before 22:00.

I would be surprised if other customers have not provided similar feedback.