No More Smoking

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

No More Smoking

Post by Dodger »

After a half century of smoking cigarettes, I've decided to quit.

Fortunately (miraculously), I have somehow managed to maintain good health (I think) over all these years, but know that it's not a matter of "if" but "when" the hammer will come down if I don't give them up. Today marks one month without a smoke and I can actually say that it hasn't been as difficult as I expected. (Note; That any reference to the term "smoking" in this post has to do with smoking tobacco, not a boys penis, as I would never abort that pleasure, even at the risk of getting leperacy).

I've carved out a plan for myself which includes things like; breaking my daily routine for a while to avoid "triggers", discarding ashtrays and lighters, finding something else to stick in my mouth when I get the urge, which I have to admit was simply brilliant, and no complaints from HIM either, keeping a written list of the benefits of quitting smoking posted on the mirror in the hung nam, and last, but not least, using nicotine lozenges (12 week plan) to manage the nicotine withdrawal.

The nicotine lozenges have been working great. The only problem is the lozenges are not available for sale in Thailand, and I'm now due for a re-supply. They do sell nicotine gum at some of the pharmacies here, but gum chewing just isn't for me, which leads me to where I'm at now.

I ordered another 8 week supply of lozenges on Lazada which arrived in Bangkok a few days ago. I received an e:mail message from Customs telling me I had to provide a Medical Certificate from a Thai Hospital in order to have the product released from Customs. After doing some research I understand why. It is legal to import cigarettes, and other forms of tobacco (not vapes), as long as there's not more than one carton of cigarettes, or 280 mgs. of tobacco. Since my lozenges exceed the 280 mgs. limit, they (Customs) have designated this product under the Medical and Drug category, which makes this a "Restricted" product (not Prohibited, but Restricted). According to Thai law Restricted Products can only be allowed in country with the appropriate Medical Certificate.

No problem. I just drove 5 minutes away from Jai's home in Buriram to the local private hospital, talked to a doctor, and got the Certificate with no problem. I then sent the Certificate via e:mail to Customs as requested. I then received another message from Customs telling me that they were sending a messenger to pick up the original Medical Certificate. The messenger was supposed to be here today - but no luck so far.

I guess the moral of this story is, if you're still a smoker, and one day chose to quit, either go with the gum, or take a 12 week vacation back in your home country where you can buy any stop smoking aid you want for half the price at a local Walmart.

If I don't receive the lozenges I'll use the gum. But what I won't do, is fail in my attempt to quit smoking just because Thailand doesn't want me to stop in order to protect its Tobacco Industry Dynasty. If anything, this gives me even more motivation.

One other thing I have listed on my Stop Smoking Plan, is to follow the advice of many others who have gone before me, and tell everyone I know that I'm quitting. So, there you have it. "Dodger Does Not Smoke Cigarettes Anymore".

Cheers
werner99

Re: No More Smoking

Post by werner99 »

I wish you great success with your goal to stop smoking!

By the way: I so much enjoy your great writing and your wonderful sense of humor. Yes, do NOT give up the other type of smoking!
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

werner99 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:17 pm I wish you great success with your goal to stop smoking!

Well, It's about time somebody wished me good luck!

One month already and I'm not experiencing any withdrawal symptoms at all.

I'm just waiting for some of the other miserable mother fucking cock suckers on this forum to wish me good luck as well. You ungrateful bitches. I'd like to kick you all in your balls.

SERIOUSLY...Thank you werner for your kind gesture, and no, I'm not going over the edge.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Keep up the no smoking campaign, Dodger. Your life could depend upon it and only good will come from not smoking.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

windwalker wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:46 am Keep up the no smoking campaign, Dodger. Your life could depend upon it and only good will come from not smoking.
Thank you windwalker.

Believe it or not, in just one month, food is starting to taste better, I'm not as winded after my morning exercises, and, according my partner, there's been a noticeable improvement in my play-time stamina as well. That, in-and-by-itself, makes it all worth it.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

I read recently that damage to the lungs repairs itself when smoking stops however long you have been smoking. I thought that the liver was the only organ to repair itself but this is encouragement that it's never too late.