Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
travelerjim1

Christmas Dinner Pattaya Gregs Little House Cafe

Post by travelerjim1 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:11 am

To All Our Valued Customers & Good Friends

GREGS LITTLE HOUSE CAFE

🌲 Come over & Join us for Our Christmas Celebrations.🌲🥂
Choice of relaxing Aircon Room or Outside Seating. Plenty of Parking.

For more Information Contact Greg
☎️ 091 240 4331.

travelerjim1

Re: Christmas Dinner Pattaya Gregs Little House Cafe

Post by travelerjim1 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:13 am

Looks good...

Tj

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:26 pm

I'm not even working on Thanksgiving yet, let alone Christmas.

It seems awfully early to start advertising Christmas menus. I don't see a year on the ad. Are you sure it is for this year's Christmas and not last year's?

He does have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/littlehousecafedeli/

It is actually quite close to where I live, on "The Dark Side", but I have never tried it. I doubt many people reading this, including me, will be going to "The Dark Side" for a Christmas dinner.

For a turkey dinner, I prefer a buffet so I can decide for myself how much I want and which pieces I want.

One time I went to a buffet advertising "All you can eat." When I went back for seconds, the waiter stopped me and said, "No, you can't go again. I'm sorry, but that's all you can eat" . . .

Dodger

Post by Dodger » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:03 pm

The restaurants in Pattaya (most, not all) roll out the red Santa Claus carpets as an excuse to overcharge their customers for meals which are almost always judged as being mediocre at best, for triple the price. I don't get it!

I know I'm not in Kansas anymore, but the restaurants where I come from celebrate Christmas by treating their customers to lavish all-you-can-eat buffets, with smoked ham carved off the bone, roast beef, turkey with all the trimmings, home made pies, and much more, for a smidgen more than you would pay for a set menu meal on a normal day. They do this primarily as a way of thanking their customers for their patronage, as well as welcoming in the New Year with those they would like to consider as friends. In Pattaya (I can't speak for the rest of Thailand) these Holiday Specials are simply a means of price gouging by greedy and ungrateful restaurant owners.

I've heard many stories of farang paying well over 1,000 THB for an all-you-can-eat holiday buffet, only to find out that the main meal items (meats) were gone before they even had their first helpings.

I get drunk on Christmas. And I would never fuck up a hundred dollar drunk with a ten dollar meal anyway.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:02 pm

Dodger wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:03 pm
I've heard many stories of farang paying well over 1,000 THB for an all-you-can-eat holiday buffet, only to find out that the main meal items (meats) were gone before they even had their first helpings.
Which is one reason not to pay in advance. I've had that happen to me. Some of you may remember Rob Astbury. He and I went to a buffet featuring all the roast beef you want. We arrived about a half hour after the buffet had started, we were told the roast beef is already gone. About a second later we were gone too.

This is also a good time to remind people that especially Christmas dinner, some hotels charge a mandatory fee whether you want their dinner or not. You'll be charged for it. Some do that for New Year's Eve too. There's no way out of it. You can argue with the management from now 'till St. Swithin's Day, but you won't get out of it.

When you're making your hotel booking, if your holiday in Thailand falls on either of those dates, ask your hotel about it.

Many years ago, before living here, I got caught in one of those mandatory dinners at the hotel where I was staying - somewhere on Jomtien Beach. Actually it turned out to be an exceptionally good dinner and well worth the price. Even so, I still resented being forced to pay for it even if I wanted to eat elsewhere. Of course back then, there were not yet that many "elsewheres" to choose from.

gerefan

Post by gerefan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:11 pm

I used to frequent a bar near Boyztown. It was nothing special but the food was usually good, even if basic.
We went there one Christmas for the Xmas lunch and it was awful. The final straw was the cheese and biscuits.
After waiting an age for it to arrive it consisted of two, yes two, Ritz crackers and a tiny cube of cheese...served on a saucer.
I rarely went back to the place after that and now never bother with so called Christmas dinners in Thailand.

thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:50 am

We went to Cherry's Christmas buffet last year and that was enjoyable. Sadly Cherry's is no more. As for Gregs Little House Cafe, this is the first I've ever heard of it. You could probably help yourself to food from the deep freeze and microwave it for your own Christmas dinner.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:18 am

As I said, some of those mandatory hotel dinners are really excellent. Just because it's mandatory and served in a hotel doesn't mean it isn't good and those who have been disappointed at local restaurants might want to check to see what is on offer at some of these hotels. You don't have to be a hotel guest to go to one of these dinners. Guest or not, if you pay for it, you're in.

travelerjim1

Post by travelerjim1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:56 am

Here is their every Sunday Dinner choices...
Plus available ready to microwave frozen meals and pies... All looks very delicious.

Sunday Dinner Choices

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:37 pm

First, I've moved this topic to the "Restaurant Reviews & Recipe Exchange" forum.

I'm curious about your interest in this restaurant - a hole-in-the-wall type place on "The Dark Side," difficult for most readers of this board to get to, serving typical British food just about the same as available in many restaurants in Pattaya.

Have you eaten there? Do you know Greg personally?

I have nothing against this place, having never eaten there myself, but what makes this restaurant so special?