Pattaya Lockdown - Beginning Thursday, April 9

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya Lockdown - Beginning Thursday, April 9

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:46 pm As someone who lives in Pattaya I am pleased with the level of importance government officials are approaching the current situation with.
Well, this is a switch - Undaunted positive about something and me negative about it. Mark it down, folks. You may not see anything like this again.

I see this as somewhat overkill. I will not be surprised if the way they're going about this backfires and causes so many problems that they will either rescind it or try to modify it. From where I sit, the way they're doing this is another example of improperly and incompletely thinking this through. If nothing else, they're doing this very late in the game. If they were going to do this in an effort to curtail the virus, why didn't they do this weeks ago, when it might have been much more effective? In its way, it is literally closing the barn door after the horse has left.

I can kinda-sorta see blockading the province itself, but trying to lock down the city, with so many people living in so many parts of it, working in so many parts of it, and coming from so many different provinces - I just don't see this really working or producing enough of their desired result to make this worth doing.

Another thing - just a few days ago didn't the Pattaya police chief issue a statement about how a crime increase is likely? How much police manpower is going to be wasted on this exercise in futility rather than being out there trying to prevent crime?

I also don't like the idea of whether or not I get to cross Sukhumvit to go where I'm trying to go being left up to the decision of whichever individual police officer I happen to encounter.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:56 pm Well, this is a switch - Undaunted positive about something and me negative about it. Mark it down, folks. You may not see anything like this again.
Almost worth a national holiday :) .
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:42 pm As I interpret the map the northern point appears to be the entrance to the motorway on Sukumvit and the southern point is Na Jomtien .
My interpretation is traffic will be diverted near Hwy 36 and another checkpoint on Sukumvit near Banglamung (near the signals where you turn to go to PEA and Banglamung Hospital). Thru traffic will exit at 36 and go down Railroad Rd. completely bypassing Pattaya.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:28 pm Then you don't have to worry. There is no Alan Judd. His name is Adam Judd. And he doesn't write for PattayaOne. He writes for Pattaya News. Other than that, you were accurate.
Alan - Adam Alice, whatever he calls himself, the articles with his name on them are always shock induced and overly sensational IMO.

The articles you just posted by Pattaya Mail are well-written, include all the pertinent information and factual details...without being intentionlly sensational. Judd has a bad habit of jumping the gun.

I agree with Undaunted's statement. I'm also pleased with the actions being taken. Not only in Pattaya, but the entire Kindom.

Word of caution: Don't drive in Pattaya without your drivers license, passport, and face mask.
odd

Post by odd »

And alcohol gel
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:46 am Alan - Adam Alice, whatever he calls himself, the articles with his name on them are always shock induced and overly sensational IMO.
My opinion is a little different from yours. I don't see anything about his articles that are designed to shock or are sensational. He broke the news about the Pattaya lockdown before any other English language news source and I am grateful for it. It gave those of us who will be affected by it time to prepare before being surprised with it. He is almost always first with important news and often enough the only English language news source to report it at all. He doesn't get complaints from me, but he does get my praise for what he does and what he's trying to do.

I know you neither want nor need my usual lecture about how nobody is forcing you to read posts, articles, or whatever makes you "cringe". . .
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

What about our Thai partners whose ID may show they are from a different Province. What can they show to prove they reside in Pattaya? This is the case with my bf - his ID shows Chaiyaphum Province and his Driver Licenses show they were issued in Chonburi, but the address on the back is in Chaiyaphum Province.

Although he could probably "talk" his way through a checkpoint, I have prepared a single document showing copies of the following: 1) his Bank book issued by a Pattaya branch, 2) our bank book from a Pattaya branch showing his & my name on the joint account, 3) a paper from AXA insurance showing his (our) address in Pattaya, and 4) my Driving license (front & back) showing my address is in Pattaya.

Is it necessary? Who knows, but it should help if his "talk" at a checkpoint is questioned and he needs something to help back it up.

As to "Drivers will also be expected to show a bottle of alcohol gel or similar disinfectant in the vehicle." The bf did get me a very small bottle of hand cleaner, so I will ask him to get more so we can have one in our vehicles - until then, if I go out, I can take along the one he gave me.

I don't anticipate going out during April except for grocery shopping & doctor appointments (later this month). Since I often shop at Villa Market on Sukhumvit, I could run into a checkpoint. No problem with the masks, the bf had a few paper face masks which we were using, but he was lucky when he stopped by D Pharmacy on Thepprasit Road a couple days ago - he picked up 3 packages of washable cloth masks for us to use (I find them more comfortable than the paper one).
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

2lz2p wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:57 am What about our Thai partners whose ID may show they are from a different Province. What can they show to prove they reside in Pattaya?
No problem tell the b/f to stay under “lockdown” in the condo. BTW Villa delivers.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:57 am What about our Thai partners whose ID may show they are from a different Province. What can they show to prove they reside in Pattaya?
Am I missing something? Where does it say Thais have to prove where they reside? All I see is Thais are required to have their Thai ID, which is a requirement lockdown or not. I don't see anything that says they have to show any kind of proof they reside in Pattaya or any kind of proof of residence at all. They simply need to show their ID.

Despite what some may think, the police are not morons. They know many people from other provinces reside in Pattaya. If you're worried about it, if you live in a condo you can have the management prepare a statement attesting to where he resides. If he works, his workplace can provide the necessary document. If you don't live in a condo, maybe you can flag down a passing police officer, show him evidence of the boy's residence, and have him write something he can show police if the question comes up.

In any case, why do you think it is upon you to solve this problem, if a problem even exists? He is probably perfectly capable of dealing with this on his own. Whatever we know about it, chances are the Thais know much more about it than we do and know how to deal with it much better than we do.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Although the PM article was primarily aimed at foreigners, it did contain this sentence:
One principal aim is to prevent foreign and Thai tourists from coming into the area which is why proof of a personal address is important.
(Emphasis added)

Thus, my interpretation was that in addition to showing an ID, a Thai would also be required to show proof of personal address being in Pattaya and that they were not a visitor.

We live in a house and my Thai partner does not have an employer. Why flag down a policeman to show proof of living in Pattaya when the document I mentioned should accomplish that. It took only a little time to prepare. As I mentioned in my earlier post, may it not be needed. But I will feel more comfortable with him having some sort of "proof" if asked for it.