Observations of a Tourist in Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Observations of a Tourist in Pattaya

Post by Jun »

Jomtien (Daytime)
Just like last year, there is some jet ski "World" event on in Jomtien. Dominated by Thai participants, as far as I could tell. I didn't stay.

Zoomer "gay"bar. Despite the rainbow decorations, it appeared to have female staff, at least in the afternoon.

Meeting Place. Had reasonable coffee last year, better than Delices across the road. Today, they were not opening until after 14:00, so is it evolving into more of a bar ?

Sunee Bar. This confusingly named establishment is past the Venue and just around the corner from the main bar street. Perhaps this will be a popular refuge on nights when one or two Jomtien bars pollute the main street with loud music ?
BKKDreamer

Re: Observations of a Tourist in Pattaya

Post by BKKDreamer »

Hi Jun,

I was also up and about with some observations from Jomtien.
Just like last year, there is some jet ski "World" event on in Jomtien.
Could hear but not see the fireworks from the jet ski "World" event - which is directly in front of the Jomtien Night Market - good food there by the way.
Zoomer "gay"bar. Despite the rainbow decorations, it appeared to have female staff, at least in the afternoon.
Last night, Saturday 17 December was the Zoomer Bar - Welcome Party "Grand Opening". I walked past at about 10:30pm and it was very busy with a live DJ and dancing - I did not stop as I was returning from.....
Meeting Place. Had reasonable coffee last year, better than Delices across the road. Today, they were not opening until after 14:00, so is it evolving into more of a bar ?
I was at Meeting Place from about 9pm until 10:30pm and it was very busy. My Thai massage friends and I were having some beers and they told me that it was busy with some guests visiting from Bangkok and also with many falang tourists - 3 from the USA were pointed out to me. So, I guess to answer your question - yes - it is evolving into more of a bar - BECAUSE of the sexy flirtatious owner who visits with everyone and keeps the mood happy and upbeat.

Lastly, I started my night out with a Thai friend at the NEW Blue Cat Beach restaurant - which if you are walking on Beach road at Dongtan beach north towards the Pratumnak direction - immediately after the Rabbit Resort there is this NEW restaurant. I have been wanting to check it out for quite a while and last night I convinced my Thai friend to have dinner there. Food was good and the menu is mainly Thai but they also have some falang foods and a GREAT selection of Mocktails and Smoothies. You sit on low chairs on the beach sand with tables in front of you overlooking onto the sea. Me and my friend, we really liked our experience here. Prices were very reasonable here - and not steep like at the recently refurbished Sandbar by the Sea restaurant / bar - which is very elegant but VERY pricey.

I am sorry that I could not post some images - but it is not clear as to how in this forum we can post useful and informative images ???
Jun

Post by Jun »

BKKDreamer wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:41 pmI am sorry that I could not post some images - but it is not clear as to how in this forum we can post useful and informative images ???
https://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php ... 94#p109194
Jun

Post by Jun »

Work on converting the former Forest House Site to a laundry continues. The stairs to the former upstairs gogo bar site (Tom Yum?) has reverted to access from outside. Reversing work done as part of the half baked Nice Boys project earlier in the year. I didn't see or read about the upstairs bar ever opening and downstairs had nothing to draw in customers.
There is another laundry just up the road.
Test photo below. imgpile rotates it. I might quickly lose interest in their service.
I never did go up those stairs, as the bar that was on the site about 10 years ago had a certain reputation and there were plenty of alternative bars then.

Changing topic. Despite generally having a good command of English, I note 4 different Lao boys don't recognise the words Train or Railway. Words not needed much in Laos, until their first proper railway opened recently? The short link that just gets over the border from Thailand and stopped in the middle of nowhere was irrelevant.

pong

Post by pong »

Well, now that it seems that all Lao talent seems to have moved to TH here I had the chance to meet a dozen or so of them more intimately this time-many more as my score till then. Train is, just as in about all ASEAN lingo: the fire car, kereta api in bahasa or rot fai in THai - and Lao.
The electric train is the one with the blue fire- rot fay fa. All guys, when asked about (not all spoke enough of clear Thai to get me to understand them, a very few even pretty good english-they had jobs before at hotels or are expat students-till covid and noone came and they got fired) were very well aware of this new line-but opinions varied a bit-leaning toward: those Chinese have sent us a far too heavy bill to pay and now we have nothing left. How do you go back home? All said: by bus. (rot tour, coach for english)
If this happens to be the metro-not in Laos yet and likely never to come, its ´buried in the ground: rot fay fa taay din. BTW: taay also means ´dead´ obviously, even tough most such are not in the soil here in TH, but also gone in the fire.
These Lao guys are indeed more different from their Thai Isany equivalents as I had thought.
Getting tix for that train is made so intrinsic difficult that even mainland China seems a breeze for that-or perhaps this is yet another trap to set up to fleece the tourist for more money to spend on commissions etc. (tripadvisor forum for more details). Seems online only possible with all those Chinese apps on wechat and of course not with western cr-cds. On the gayguides forum is soon to come a report by vinapu who has done it and is now editing his lao travel report. I am able to tell that I have been twice in China by myself (and more times guided) and with train tickets bought all by myself for quite a few trips. With that group also been to Tibet-before the railway to there was opened. And once in Taiwan and KOrea-also with lots of self-organised train travel.
pong

Post by pong »

oh-now that my walks to see parts of BKK have covered most of the area around here, this opening of brand new western style ´launderette (remember ´my beautiful?´) is indeed remarkable-saw at least 4 now. Open air yes, but shiny and brandnew compared to the old-style machines that stand along the footpath or in aprmt-condo´s for 20 or 30 bt-bring all yourself, also the BReeze. And also with dryers. Not that cheap though anymore, but open 24 hrs-and this is TH so cheap labour which thus means there is usually also a lady at work to help all clients unused to it all.
Also remarkable are the loads of all the same 10 bt coffee machines- though the 15 bt 3in1 from the 7-often with loads of choices, will also do for me.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The Lao boys I know sometimes fly home, or at least take the far cheaper flights to Udon Thani/Ubon Rachathani and then cross the border.
One even claimed to enter Thailand illegally, then get on a domestic flight, as they don't check passport stamps. I believe the others are here legally.

The laundries with proper front loading washing machines have been around several years. Just 40 baht if the small machine is free. As DIY washing here eliminates the problem of loss or unwanted "swappung" of my clothes, I have taken to using them ahead of laundry services. Also I know precisely when I can take the washing away.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Well today I saw what was a first for me. Almost unbelievable.

A massage boy reading A BOOK outside his shop. Not watching tik tok on his phone, but reading an old fashioned book.

I approve, but it was something of a shock.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The temple between Sunee and Boys Town has diversified it's revenue streams by adding a coffee shop.
They have to compete with other good coffee shops in the area and the seating doesn't look comfortable either. So far, I don't see many customers.
I suspect they should have stuck to proven income streams, such as donations, service fees, running a car park and charging for the hong nam. The car parking looks like a nice little earner. All sorts of provinces show up on the number plates.

My Ecco sandals failed after just 3 trips, equivalent to 9 months use. So much for the idea of buying a "good" brand. The Ecco shop in Central is selling something similar for 5~6000 baht, although of course I bought mine discounted in the UK at the end of season for under half that.
I found some replacements at Decathlon, but not in the right size. Their website says I can order the size I want for click and collect in 2 hours.
All good, until I find that's at the Chiang Mai store.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:05 pm The Ecco shop in Central is selling something similar for 5~6000 baht
Despite that you don't like Lazada, both Lazada and Shopee carry a variety of Ecco styles at prices much lower than Central or any other shopping mall.