Advising a MB

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Advising a MB

Post by Jun »

Whilst some money boys might clearly benefit from advice, or different perspectives, there have been very few occasions when a bar boy has followed good advice from me.
The last time was so long ago, I forget the details.

Recent examples of advice not followed:
1 Failure to open a Thai bank account.
The guy has a Lao bank account, but with 38% inflation, his money is devaluing quickly. He understands this, but hasn't followed my advice to visit about 10 different bank branches, then if that fails, go to MOTS. Or an equivalent.
His bank balance is sufficient to make the MOTS fee back quickly, by avoiding high inflation.

I did start asking other boys if they have Thai bank accounts, just in case I could find out where and when they opened them. This was always interpreted as me wanting to send them money, so I quickly stopped asking.

2 Boy proceeds with very expensive cosmetic work, even though the benefit is temporary and the area doesn't need fixing.
The first thing he needs to do for his appearance is eat less, but even I didn't offer that piece of advice
Gaybutton

Re: Advising a MB

Post by Gaybutton »

First, Lao boys can open Thai bank accounts. I know 3 Lao boys who have Kasikorn Bank (K-Bank) accounts despite that they reside in Lao, not Thailand. I never asked how they got the accounts, but they got them. Of course, you could always take the boy of interest to Mots ( https://www.mots-services.com/ ). Maybe they can get a Thai bank account for him if he can't get it on his own.

Second, I do not recommend trying to give advice to the boys. It is almost always an exercise in futility. They're not going to listen or heed the advice. Also, I don't know how this might apply to the boys, but I, for one, rarely - very rarely - appreciate advice I didn't ask for and someone else decides I want or need.

Typical example: On his own volition, nearly a year ago a Thai boy I'm close with and already held a Thai bank account decided to open a second account at another bank. He discussed it with me and even though I know how much chance of him taking my advice, I gave it to him anyway. I advised him to keep money in that account an never touch it. Any time he has any money, put 10% of it into the account and leave it there. Then, years from now when he gets old, he'll have some money for his old age. I even put 1000 baht into the account myself to get him started.

As I said, that was nearly a year ago. Only last week I asked him how much he has in that account now. I was all set to say, "You see? It really does add up". It didn't quite work out that way. He gave me a sheepish smile and told me how much is in the account. 3 baht! So much for advice . . .

If you want to try to give advice to the boys, try to work the conversation around so that the boy brings up something that clearly indicates he wants to listen to what you have to say about it. It works much better when he thinks asking is his idea and that's the best chance he might actually follow the advice. Otherwise you're really just wasting your breath.

`
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:47 pm First, Lao boys can open Thai bank accounts. I know 3 Lao boys who have Kasikorn Bank (K-Bank) accounts despite that they reside in Lao, not Thailand.
Are these recent accounts ?
I and other farang tourists have Thai bank accounts, but often opened 10 or more years ago.
Gaybutton wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:47 pmSecond, I do not recommend trying to give advice to the boys. It is almost always an exercise in futility. They're not going to listen or heed the advice.
Probably right, even though some show little evidence of having received good advice in the past.
Gaybutton wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:47 pmAlso, I don't know how this might apply to the boys, but I, for one, rarely - very rarely - appreciate advice I didn't ask for and someone else decides I want or need. `
I quite appreciate good advice, but then I follow the principle that life long learning is a good idea.
So I like to learn something every week and preferably every day.

Of course, I recognise advice is probably best not framed as a "you should do this" type of discussion.
Better:
"You could...."
"Have you...."
"What I do is..... " Then explain why.

I've also tried leaving evidence lying around to provoke a discussion.
In at least 2 cases, a boy picked up on this during my stay in Pattaya this year.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:48 pm Are these recent accounts ?
No. The most recent one I know about is around 6 years ago. It was opened by a Lao boy working illegally in one of the bars, but was in Thailand on a tourist visa - the kind all the Lao boys get when they have to return home to "make visa". He already had the account when I first met him. I never thought to ask him how he got it. Of course, the boys know all the tricks . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:25 pmThe most recent one I know about is around 6 years ago.
Once upon a time, it was possible just to walk into a bank branch and open an account. As I did just over 10 years ago.
Perhaps that was in this era.

Of course, until I walk into about 10 bank branches myself and get turned down in them all, or until I read of someone else doing the same, I cannot be completely sure that era has ended.
As it stands, I have no need of a second bank account, so I'm not walking into the 10 branches any time soon.

Unfortunately, my Lao friend is also not walking into the 10 bank branches either. So his savings are losing over 30% per year due to 38% inflation (I read of ~6% interest rates from banks).

Incidentally, I noticed the Lao kip lost about 1% against the Thai baht during the 12 days or so that I was in Laos this year. That's very much in the right ballpark for an expected loss of value due to inflation.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:38 pm I cannot be completely sure that era has ended.
Only one way to find out . . .
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

I gave up advising boys many years ago. Most boys I meet, I can quickly judge they would not understand or follow my advice.

The last cases I remember, over 5 years ago, was about traveling. I don't mean public transport vs. taxi, but boys who already go around by public transport but don't know the network in Bangkok or Thailand. They take circuitous routes (longer in distance and time and more expensive) because they don't know better. I told them how to do better, but they would not listen.
Jun

Post by Jun »

christianpfc wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:22 pmThe last cases I remember, over 5 years ago, was about traveling. I don't mean public transport vs. taxi, but boys who already go around by public transport but don't know the network in Bangkok or Thailand. They take circuitous routes (longer in distance and time and more expensive) because they don't know better. I told them how to do better, but they would not listen.
In Bangkok, google maps is surprisingly useful for navigating the public transport system.

However, I note that some working lads happily waste their time on Tik Tok or playing Candy Crush, but have very little idea how to use their phones for more useful stuff.
Although others do make good use of translation apps.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

When I was younger I avoided giving the Thai boys advice because I didn't want to sound "old". Now that I'm older I still avoid giving them advice because I forgot what it was I wanted to tell them... :?