Pita says 'enough support' to become Prime Minister

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Pita says 'enough support' to become Prime Minister

Post by Gaybutton »

Please folks - NO comments about Thailand's lese majeste law. I will have to delete any such comments.

Thailand's Pita says 'enough support' from Senate to become PM

by Chayut Setboonsarng, Reuters

June 27, 2023

BANGKOK, June 27 (Reuters) - Thailand's leading prime ministerial candidate Pita Limjaroenrat said on Tuesday he has enough support in the upper house to become the country's next premier, just days ahead of the new parliament's first session.

Pita, the leader of the progressive Move Forward Party, faces an uncertain path to the premiership despite scoring a stunning victory in a May poll that saw Thais reject nearly nine years of military-backed government.

His eight-party alliance together has 312 seats in parliament. Under the constitution, to become prime minister, Pita needs at least 376 votes in a joint sitting of the bicameral legislature, including the 250-member upper house, most of whom were chosen by the military when it took power in 2014.

When asked on Tuesday how much Senate support he had secured, Pita said: "enough for me to become prime minister".

Doubts have lingered over whether Pita has enough support because of his party's controversial proposal to amend Thailand's strict royal insult law or lese majeste. Move Forward has said the law, which prescribes up to 15 years of jail for perceived offences against the monarchy, is used as a political tool against opponents of the current government.

The stance has antagonised country's royalist establishment and old-money elite, including the conservative-leaning Senate.

The party was in the process of explaining its position to senators ahead of the July parliamentary vote, said Pita.

"Amending the law in keeping with society's context is not something that will stop government formation," he said.

After convening on July 3, parliament is expected to vote on a prime minister on July 13.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 023-06-27/
Gaybutton

Re: Pita says 'enough support' to become Prime Minister

Post by Gaybutton »

My question to those opposed to Pita - Who do you have in mind to become Thailand's next Prime Minister and where are you going to get enough votes for that to happen? Why would you even want to try to undermine landslide election results?
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Move Forward Party Remains Confident in Securing Enough Senate Votes to Make Pita Prime Minister

By Tanakorn Panyadee

27 June, 2023

Pita Limjaroenrat, leader of the Move Forward Party (MFP), remains confident that the 250-member Senate will vote for him as the Prime Minister.

Pita, who has recently recovered from the Covid-19 virus, travelled to the Parliament on Tuesday, June 27th, along with 150 MFP MPs to report themselves to the Secretariat of the House of Representatives.

The MFP leader said he is confident that the coalition partners, which currently encompass 8 parties, have gained enough votes from the senators to allow him to become the country’s 30th PM.

Pita’s comment came after an outspoken senator mocked that only 5 senators out of 250 will vote for Pita as PM.

At present, the coalition alliance has 312 MPs, but in order to enable Pita to take office, they need at least 376 votes or another 64 votes from the joint parliament. The PM voting date is predicted to be on or around July 13th.

When asked about his party’s policy to amend the lese-majeste law, Pita insisted it will not hinder him from becoming a premier as the amendment is only intended to prevent the law from being used as a political tool to silence dissidents and political opposition.

He emphasized the MFP plans to “amend” the law not “abolish” it.

“The senators should not use this as an excuse not to vote for me because it would create a conflict between the people’s votes and the royal institution, which is both inappropriate and perilous,” Pita stated.

He also said he has no concerns about the ongoing investigation into his media shareholding issue.

Before the PM vote takes place however there are several other steps that have to take place.

Here is a current timeline of the situation: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/06/25/c ... overnment/

https://thepattayanews.com/2023/06/27/m ... -minister/
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

So far - so good, but Pita and his coalition definitely have their work cut out dodging the generals.

I wonder how many more corrupt gambling dens will be raided between now and July 13th???

Go Pita!!!!!!!!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

My guess is most of us reading this hope to see Pita become the Prime Minister, as obviously the vast majority of Thais also are hoping for. People seem to have had enough of aging generals running the country. Personally, I did agree with many of the rules they imposed, especially during the Covid crisis, but there are also far too many rules I considered to be frivolous and ridiculous, such as liquor sales hours, many of the beach rules, adult entertainment venue hours and clothing rules, and far too many corrupt police and politicians getting away with it and not very much done by the current government to put a stop to it. Many were caught, but not punished beyond a slap on the wrist when they were punished at all, and I don't recall any of them actually sentenced to prison. And when you think about how many were caught, also think about how many have not been caught and are still getting away with it.

I see many positive improvements on the horizon under a Pita government and if there are negatives, I have yet to see any. Although I have not seen anything specifically mentioned, I hope to see some positive changes regarding immigration rules, but I don't expect that to be on the top ten list of the new government's priorities.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Agreed.

Additional problems with the current government include wasteful spending on oversized and badly designed infrastructure projects, retaining covid restrictions for far too long and permitting/encouraging reduced competition in certain areas (e.g. grocery retail, mobile phone networks and the beer brewing industry).

It it time for change.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Jun wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:18 pm It it time for change.
For Aussies this brings back memories of 1972!

After more than 20 years of successive conservative governments, Gough Whitlam, leader of the leftist Labor Party, launched the "It's Time" election campaign, romped it home at the election and in the first 100 days in government did more to change the political and social climate in Australia than anything in the last 20 years!

Of course, the similarities are only superficial but still potentially worrying - Gough did not face the hurdles faced by Pita and was sworn in as Prime Minister within days of the election, and his government was dismissed by a "royalist" coup, not a military one, but it still leaves one wondering is it really time just because the "people" think it is?
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:25 pm is it really time just because the "people" think it is?
Why would it not be? Unless I am missing a choice, it is either a change or maintain the status quo. Not many people seem to be in favor of maintaining the status quo.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:57 am Why would it not be? Unless I am missing a choice, it is either a change or maintain the status quo. Not many people seem to be in favor of maintaining the status quo.
perhaps the "not many people" are the ones that have the most to lose and have the real power?
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Pita ‘confident’ of coalition agreement Sunday

July 1, 2023

Move Forward Party (MFP) leader Pita Limjaroenrat has expressed confidence his party, Pheu Thai and their fellow coalition partners will reach the agreements needed to form a new government when they hold talks on Sunday.

Acknowledging that a clear stance is still needed from the Pheu Thai Party, Mr Pita on Saturday voiced his belief that the second largest party in the House of Representatives will not draw out negotiations to form the administration.

The two main coalition parties — Move Forward with 151 seats and Pheu Thai with 141 — have been wrangling over the position of House speaker but time is almost up. Parliament is due to convene on Monday with the vote for speaker scheduled for Tuesday.

Mr Pita affirmed that his party had named its candidate (Phitsanulok MP Padipat Suntiphada) for the speaker’s seat and would stand by its decision.

He declined to comment on possible candidates from Pheu Thai, named by undisclosed sources, asking that the public wait for an official announcement from the party to avoid confusion.

Asked by reporters about speculation concerning a potential political shift, the MFP leader said clarity would be achieved once the vote within the coalition takes place on Sunday.

“The eight parties of the coalition remain unified, and each has only been taking its time to thoroughly consider key decisions,” said Mr Pita.

On Friday, Pheu Thai sources floated the possibility of a new scenario in which their party could form the next government. If Mr Pita fails to secure enough support from senators in the prime ministerial vote, Move Forward would agree to step aside in favour of Pheu Thai.

In return, they said, Pheu Thai would abandon its demand for the House speaker’s position.

Srettha Thavisin, a Pheu Thai Party candidate for prime minister, on Friday reaffirmed his support for Mr Pita’s bid for the premiership and said that priority is for “the democracy side” to stick together and form a new government.

Mr Pita, meanwhile, declined to comment on calls to minimise the political role of outgoing Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, saying instead that the coalition’s transition committee has been preparing plans to deal with various issues such as tourism stimulus.

Gen Prayut on Friday said he would no longer comment about politics, and would focus only on his caretaker role until the new administration is formed.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/po ... ent-sunday
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Pita is getting much closer to becoming Prime Minister. In a way, Thailand is somewhat similar to the USA's electoral college system in that just because you get the most popular votes, even if it's a landslide, that doesn't guarantee in the end you will be the winner. That is how Trump became president over Hillary Clinton. She got the most popular votes, but Trump got the right number of electoral votes. In Thailand, it's who gets the most senate votes. Personally, I am rooting for Pita and I, for one, will be bitterly disappointed if it ends up being someone else.

Move Forward, Pheu Thai clinch House speaker compromise

July 3, 2023

Move Forward Party leader Pita Limjaroenrat, left, and Pheu Thai Party leader Cholnan Srikaew shake hands during their press conference at Lancaster Bangkok hotel on Monday night. (Photo: Wichan Charoenkiatpakul)

The Move Forward Party (MFP) and the Pheu Thai Party have agreed to have Prachachat Party leader Wan Muhammad Nor Matha as the House speaker, while MFP and Pheu Thai will each have one deputy's seat.

MFP leader Pita Limjaroenrat told a press conference on Monday night that both parties agreed on Mr Wan Muhammad Nor to be chosen as the House speaker on Tuesday. MFP would have the first deputy House speaker's seat and Pheu Thai the second deputy's.

He said that the six other coalition allies supported the decision. Prachachat is among the allies.

"This agreement is for unity among the eight political parties, who will do their best to nominate me as the prime minister," Mr Pita said.

He said the eight coalition allies would support him as their sole prime ministerial candidate.

He also said MFP and Pheu Thai would amend laws to pardon people prosecuted for expressing their political opinions and to reform laws concerning the armed forces, including those concerning martial law and internal security.

Pheu Thai deputy leader Phumtham Wechayachai said he proposed Mr Wan Muhammad Nor as the House speaker because the Prachachat leader was neutral and the proposal was a means for coalition allies to proceed with their government formation.

Pheu Thai leader Cholnan Srikaew said his party would not nominate any of its members to compete for the House speaker's seat, and other coalition parties would not have the right to nominate a Pheu Thai member for the job either.

Previously MFP actively promoted Phitsanulok MP Padipat Sunthiphada as its House speaker candidate. MFP and Pheu Thai failed to reach an agreement on the speaker's post on Sunday amid rumours Pheu Thai wanted its veteran member Suchart Tancharoen in the position.

In recent days Pheu Thai had stood firm that it deserved the speaker's seat because MFP already had the prime minister's position. Each party was to have 14 cabinet ministers.

Move Forward won 151 House seats in the May 14 general election while Pheu Thai had 141 seats.

Earlier on Monday, Mr Wan Muhammad Nor said he had not wanted the speaker's position but if his assumption of the post could ensure coalition allies' government formation, he would be willing to take it.

He was previously a member of Pheu Thai from 2012 to 2018.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/po ... compromise