Anything and everything about Thailand
windwalker

Re: Nationality of Bar Boys

Post by windwalker »

Some Myanmar guys work in Pattaya bars.
Jun

Post by Jun »

windwalker wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:52 pmSome Myanmar guys work in Pattaya bars.
Please give us a little more to work with :). Which bars & what type of boys ?

Most of my boys are met via the apps, although I do meet a few at bars.
I meet the most Lao boys, closely followed by Cambodian. Thais trail a long way behind in third. Quite remarkable, considering Laos only has about 7 million people.

If all the Myanmar boys in Pattaya were muscular types in certain gogo bars, I would immediately understand why I never meet them.

However, I have met some very nice and willing twinks in Yangon.
Trying to figure out why these don't travel, I note that the bar boys in Pattaya speak surprisingly good English & those in Yangon are surprisingly poor at it. Most ex-British colonies either speak English as the first language, or at a level that is similar to first language levels. (And the same for the ex-US colony in the region).
Myanmar is a notable exception, as the boys I met in Yangon spoke much less English than most lads I meet in Pattaya.
I suspect lads with good language capability are more likely to travel abroad to work in this line of business.
billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

I always carry a Shan bag with me and, as a consequence, have been approached by several Shan guys working in Soda massage.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

billyhouston wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:15 am I always carry a Shan bag with me
Where did you get it? I've noticed similar bags before, but never realized there are specific Shan bags unless any bag like this would be considered a Shan bag..

For those who don't know what we're talking about, a Shan bag would be something like the bag shown in this picture - typically carried by people from Myanmar's Shan state.

windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Jun wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:16 pm Which bars & what type of boys ?
Since I am unfamiliar with the legality of those from other countries working in bars, I don't wish to name a particular bar. But they were not twinks! One was on the heavier side and the other had a great body and personable but not a twink. Always got a lip kiss for B100 tip from him.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:16 pm I don't wish to name a particular bar.
Thank you. You did the right thing. I don't believe for a second that Jun meant any harm, but I'm sorry, folks, I will not permit naming bars if there is an allegation of them hiring boys illegally in Thailand. That could set up the board and me for a lawsuit, and that I don't need. The only way I would even consider permitting it is if a mainstream news article posts the names. And I'm not so sure I would allow it even then.

While there is no question that there are boys illegally working in some bars, you'll just have to hunt down those bars for yourselves. If anyone posts the names of the bars, expect the post to be deleted.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I agree. Not naming the bar publicly is probably wise. Clues or a PM are alternative solutions and I'm grateful that an answer has been received.
windwalker wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:16 pmSince I am unfamiliar with the legality of those from other countries working in bars, I don't wish to name a particular bar. But they were not twinks! One was on the heavier side and the other had a great body and personable but not a twink.
This explains one reason why I haven't met them. The lads usually have to be quite skinny for me to invite them down to sit with me, although I make some exceptions.

I'm still surprised the apps are not full of lads from Myanmar.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:51 pm I'm still surprised the apps are not full of lads from Myanmar.
You gave the answer yourself:
Jun wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:16 pm Myanmar is a notable exception, as the boys I met in Yangon spoke much less English than most lads I meet in Pattaya.
I suspect lads with good language capability are more likely to travel abroad to work in this line of business.
Probably most lads you meet in Pattaya aren't all that great with English. If the Myanmar boys are even lass proficient with English, they're not likely to be on the apps looking for farang.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:29 pmYou gave the answer yourself
Good point.
Jun wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:16 pm Probably most lads you meet in Pattaya aren't all that great with English. If the Myanmar boys are even less proficient with English, they're not likely to be on the apps looking for farang.
The English capability of the lads I meet in Pattaya is surprisingly good.
In most cases, it exceeds that required to land customers and some level of conversation can also be had.
There is one notable exception who knows hardly any English. He speaks into his phone and uses some app to translate that to text. Then reverses the process when receiving a message.

As I already stated, the language capability of the lads I met in Myanmar was worse. However, they all found me on the phone apps in Myanmar.
It follows that they could do the same if they were in Pattaya, but are perhaps less confident to travel.

Counterbalancing that, the economy in Myanmar is in even worse shape, so there ought to be more incentive to travel.

I suppose the availability & affordability of passports might be another a factor ? Some of the lads I know do border runs etc. Even the ones who I suspect are in Thailand illegally tend to have passports. I check such documents on the first date, unless of course the lad is clearly well over 18.

I suppose they also need some cash to fund travel, rent etc to get started.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:36 pm I check such documents on the first date, unless of course the lad is clearly well over 18.
How many turned out to be under 18?