Prime Minister Election

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Prime Minister Election

Post by Jun »

Surely we're all just amusing ourselves speculating on this, rather than worrying about it ?

As long as none of the parties have policies which target expats or tourists, it makes little difference to us.
Thailand might benefit from some reforms, but regime change is a matter for the Thais.

I do see why Pita insisted on certain reforms, but even I know to keep my mouth shut on certain topics.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:54 pm I do see why Pita insisted on certain reforms
That is what I mean about playing the game. He is much too smart not to have seen that his stance would cause the senators who, rightly or wrongly had the final say, to oppose him. If he played the game, I agree with you that he should have kept his mouth shut, would have been voted in as Prime Minister, and then he would have had the next 4 years to, at a more appropriate time, start trying to amend the Lese Majeste laws. And in the meantime he could have been addressing all the other issues.

He would have been in a very powerful position to then be able to stand for the issues he believes to be right. Instead, now he's got has-been status. There will probably be demonstrations and protests that won't really go anywhere and soon fizzle out. 3 or 4 years from now will Pita even be remembered?

Those senators did the wrong thing morally, but what they did, they did legally. In my opinion, getting the law changed so that senators are elected rather than appointed, is a much more major concern than Lese Majeste laws.

Being morally right does not always work out when it comes to being pragmatically right. Sadly, Pita found out the hard way.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Pro-democracy rally slams senators

Activists at Kasetsart University fly ‘Respect My Vote’ banner, say street protests could follow

July 21, 2023

Student activists and supporters of the Move Forward Party (MFP) rallied at Kasetsart University in Bang Khen district of Bangkok on Friday evening to protest against the role appointed senators have been playing in the country’s protracted political drama.

A student group calling itself the New Sunrise Party organised the rally under the slogan “Join hands to eradicate evil-hearted senators”.

People began converging on the area around the university auditorium at 4.30pm to express their anger with the senators who voted overwhelmingly against against Move Forward leader and prime ministerial candidate Pita Limjaroenrat in two recent parliamentary sessions.

A black flag with the message “Respect My Vote” was raised and demonstrators flashed three-finger signalling their opposition to the military-appointed senators who get to vote for the prime ministers.

Pro-democracy activist Patsaravalee “Mind”Tanakitvibulpon, Somyos Preusakasemsuk and human rights lawyer Anon Nampa were among the speakers.

Rally participants said they strongly opposed the senators’ votes that went against the wishes of the people. If the third vote for prime minister on July 27 also turns out to be unsatisfactory, they said, they would hold street rallies.

Mr Pita failed in his initial bid on July 13 to become the country’s 30th prime minister, after he was unable to secure the required endorsement of more than half of the members of parliament.

On Wednesday, the joint House and Senate sitting voted to reject the renomination of the MFP leader, citing a parliamentary regulation that prohibited it. Constitutional scholars said their interpretation of the rules was a major mistake and unconstitutional.

Security officers were keeping a close watch on the gathering as it was the first held inside a university since the Constitutional Court suspended Mr Pita as an MP on Wednesday.

Three years ago, Kasetsart University was the site of one of the first demonstrations against the military-backed Prayut Chan-o-cha government, which evolved into a large student movement challenging some of the pillars of the establishment.

More rallies calling for senators and others to respect the people’s will are scheduled for Sunday, according to the United Front of Thammasat and Demonstration and the Thalugaz Group.

Story and photos: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... s-senators
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:54 pm As long as none of the parties have policies which target expats or tourists, it makes little difference to us.
I had dinner last night with a handful of people in Bang Saray who have a different opinion:

Before I share some of their comments with you, I'll tell you that this dinner discussion involved several drunk Norwegians, a biker - complete with skull & crossbones leather vest, two Thai prostitutes', and myself. So please take what I'm about to share with a grain of salt...LOL.

Seeing as one of the top initiatives of Move Forward is to start dismantling "corruption" at its highest level (as expressed in the MOU which was signed by the new coalition back in early June) several areas of concern surfaced during our dinner discussion which could potentially effect expats:

1) Visa Extensions: In current practice many (if not most) Visa Agents approve and process retirement visa extensions based on a simple signature and of course payment of the fee which seems to average around 14,000 baht these days. Based simply on hearsay, many (if not most) agents do not verify all of the required documentation to demonstrate compliance with Thai Immigration Law, e.g., proof of health insurance, minimum financial requirements, bank documents, etc. and could, according to the motley crew I was having dinner with, be targeted as a corrupt process.

2) Condo Ownership: A high percentage of farang expats have purchased condos using a fake company name - versus having the deed put either in their name, or in a Thai name. There does not appear to be any provision in Thai Law that recognizes this purchasing/ownership method as being legal. Arrangements like this are of course managed by local Land Offices who have the authority to approve or disapprove property sales. This again, according to those around the dinner table, could potentially be viewed as a corrupt process and targeted.

3) Prostitution: Need I say more?

An old saying comes to mind..."You can't have you cake and eat it too".
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:35 am Prostitution: Need I say more?

An old saying comes to mind..."You can't have you cake and eat it too".
Well, maybe just a little more, showing that yes you can have your cake and eat it too:

"Prostitution is the best business I know. You got it. You sell it. And you've still got it."
- Rodney Dangerfield
Jun

Post by Jun »

1 What's wrong with renewing your visas via the correct process ?

2 As for putting your condo ownership in the name of a fake company, why do people do this ? I know owning houses isn't permitted, but why do this for condos ?
Also, I presume you mean putting your condo in the name of a real & registered company that you own ? Putting it in the name of a fake company that doesn't exist would be rather reckless.

3 If you go & hire a prostitute via Grindr, as far as I know, there's no corruption involved. You're merely breaking a law that shouldn't exist.
Only with the bars do we get to corruption and that appears to be the Pattaya brown shirt mafia over-reaching, as what laws say people can't appear on stage in swim wear unless a larger bribe is paid ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:52 pm What's wrong with renewing your visas via the correct process ?
I can address that one. For some, there may be a problem that might cause immigration to deny the visa and visa services can get around it. Another reason is simple convenience of having someone else go to and deal with immigration. And one more reason is some people trying for their first long term visa, usually meaning the retirement visa, are afraid to try doing it alone. I would think once they see how simple it really is, they would do it on their own from then on.

I plan to do something a bit similar. When my Thai driving license comes due for renewal, I'm planning to use Mots Services to do the hard part for me. Even though the process is simple, you have to be there at the crack of dawn for any chance of getting it taken care of that day (as far as I know they still take only 20 foreigners a day), it takes forever, and is a pain to go through. Using a service such as Mots, all the client has to do is show up at the licensing office to take the physical tests and get photographed for the license. I've always done it myself, so I know the process and exactly what to do and how to do it, but it is such a pain-in-the-ass that even though it is only once every 5 years, I'm still going to use Mots and pay them their well worth it fee.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Anutin, Thailand's health minister, ran for Prime Minister too. In Pattaya he had more campaign posters up than Carter's has Little Liver Pills. He ended up with hardly any votes, almost at the bottom of the ranking. And yet he now seems to be in control of what is going on. He is insisting that the Move Forward Party be cut out of any coalition entirely despite the overwhelming, historic victory.

Unless these appointed, unelected senators are eventually cut out of the Prime Minister voting process, now I'm wondering if in the next election many people are going to even bother voting since their vote seems to count for nothing and can so easily be overturned.

So far today I have seen no news about protests, but some are scheduled for tomorrow, Sunday.

Bhumjaithai: MFP in coalition still a deal-breaker

Anutin reiterates party stance in talks with Pheu Thai as latter seeks new sources of support

July 22, 2023

Bhumjaithai Party leader Anutin Charnvirakul has reiterated his party’s stance that it will not join a Pheu Thai-led government if the election-winning Move Forward remains in the coalition.

Mr Anutin set his pre-condition for joining Pheu Thai in forming a government during a press conference held at the Pheu Thai headquarters in Bangkok on Saturday afternoon.

However, he has not totally ruled out voting for a Pheu Thai prime ministerial candidate when parliament meets on Thursday, pending further discussions.

He made the comments after talks that lasted less than an hour on a busy afternoon of political wheeling and dealing. Pheu Thai also met with representatives from the two-member Chartpattanakla Party and the 36-member United Thai Nation (UTN) Party.

The latter two parties also made clear that they could not support any government that included Move Forward.

Bhumjaithai, with 71 seats, is the largest party currently in the opposition bloc. Throughout his political career Mr Anutin has always marketed himself as a person who can get along with everyone, and he almost always ends up in government as a result.

The Bhumjaithai leader, party secretary-general Saksayam Chidchob and key party members met with Pheu Thai leader Cholnan Srikaew and party heavyweights at the invitation of Pheu Thai, which is seeking support from other parties outside the current eight-party coalition.

Pheu Thai wants to ensure that its first bid to get its prime ministerial candidate elected on Thursday does not fail, after the Move Forward Party conceded that its leader, Pita Limjaroenrat, could not overcome heavy opposition from almost all of the 249 elected senators in the chamber last week.

Mr Anutin thanked the Pheu Thai leader for inviting his party for joint discussions to solve the country’ s problems amid an amicable atmosphere.

”Today, we came to know that the intention and objectives of Pheu Thai match with Bhumjaithai as we want to solve the political problem as soon as possible,” he said. “We want the country to have a government soon. Bhumjaithai is fully aware of this intention.

“I told the Pheu Thai leader and party executives that Bhumjaithai has some concerns and limitations. We are not in a memorandum of understanding signed by the eight coalition allies.

“Our limitations are that we cannot join or work if Move Forward remains in the coalition. There are no conflicts but it’s about a way of working, as I earlier informed the Pheu Thai leader, who will consider our limitations.”

‘Not just Section 112’

For the past two weeks Mr Anutin has been saying that the key sticking point for his party has been Move Forward’s plan to amend Section 112 of the Criminal Code, the lese-majeste law.

However, on Saturday he insisted that the differences went beyond Section 112 and had just as much to do with different working approaches and ideologies.

Dr Cholnan said Bhumjaithai had made its stance clear when it came to Move Forward’s presence in the coalition.

“The Bhumjaithai leader has limitations that his party could not work with us even if Pheu Thai takes the lead in forming a government,” he said.

“This means that an eight-party coalition of 311 plus 71 (from Bhumjaithai) is impossible. I will report those limitations to a meeting of the eight coalition parties.”

The coalition, which currently has 311 MPs, needs at least 375 votes for a majority in a joint sitting of the House and Senate.

Ultimately, all eight parties will have to decide whether to stand by Move Forward or propose that it consider sitting in opposition.

However, Dr Cholnan cautioned against any assumptions that Pheu Thai would abandon the MFP.

Suwat: No to minority government

After Mr Anutin left, it was the turn of Chartpattanakla Party chairman Suwat Liptapanlop. He said his party would support a majority government and reject a minority government for political stability and would keep Section 112 untouched.

“We are willing to join a Pheu Thai-led government and support a Pheu Thai prime ministerial candidate,” he said. “If Move Forward’s policy to amend Section 112 still exists, it will not be line with Chartpattanakla’s policies.

“We cannot join the coalition government because amending Section 112 goes against the party’s resolution and promises made to the people.”

Move Forward was forced by its own angry supporters to withdraw an earlier invitation to Chartpattanakla, as its leader Korn Chatikavanij had supported the 2013-14 Bangkok Shutdown protests that led to the military coup. Mr Korn has since left Chartpattanakla.

The final meting of the day involved United Thai Nation, the party set up specifically as a vehicle for 2014 coup leader Prayut Chan-o-cha to extend his political life.

UTN leader Pirapan Salirathavibhaga said his party would not vote for Pheu Thai’s prime ministerial nominee if Move Forward remained in the coalition.

Pheu Thai did not invite the party to join the coalition, knowing that its members would never forgive it for approaching the party whose adviser overthrew an earlier Pheu Thai government.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/po ... al-breaker
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:16 pmI plan to do something a bit similar. When my Thai driving license comes due for renewal, I'm planning to use Mots Services to do the hard part for me. Even though the process is simple, you have to be there at the crack of dawn for any chance of getting it taken care of that day (as far as I know they still take only 20 foreigners a day), it takes forever, and is a pain to go through.
That's another area of corruption a new government could deal with.
What's wrong with on line renewal, plus a 15 minute appointment if they actually need to make physical checks on your health ?

There's no legitimate reason why every government office has to try and make life difficult for citizens & other residents.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:52 pm 1 What's wrong with renewing your visas via the correct process ?

2 As for putting your condo ownership in the name of a fake company, why do people do this ? I know owning houses isn't permitted, but why do this for condos ?
Also, I presume you mean putting your condo in the name of a real & registered company that you own ? Putting it in the name of a fake company that doesn't exist would be rather reckless.

3 If you go & hire a prostitute via Grindr, as far as I know, there's no corruption involved. You're merely breaking a law that shouldn't exist.
Only with the bars do we get to corruption and that appears to be the Pattaya brown shirt mafia over-reaching, as what laws say people can't appear on stage in swim wear unless a larger bribe is paid ?
In response to your questions:

1) There is nothing wrong (or corrupt) about using a visa agent as long as you provide the documentation required by Law along with your visa extension application, AND... the agent makes his decision to either approve or disapprove your application based on the documentation you provided in-accordance-with Thai Immigration Law. Nothing wrong with any of this at all.

On-the-other-hand (there's always another hand), if a visa renewal applicant can't, for whatever reason, provide the required documentation to prove compliance to Immigration Law...and the Agent doesn't care and approves the application anyway as he simultaneously stuffs 14,000 THB in his pocket... it can in all likelihood be framed as being a corrupt process.

2) Condominium buildings in Thailand have to maintain a ratio of at least 51% Thai co-owners and the rest of the condos can then be sold with foreign deeds. If a farang is interested in buying a unit in a building which is owned by a Thai (with a Thai deed) the unit would then have to be purchased in a Thai name (girlfriend, boyfriend, spouse, #12 at Bubbles Gogo, whatever)) in order to purchase it. Some farang are not comfortable with this arrangement (gee, I wonder why?) which is where the option of putting the unit in a fake company name got invented. In the majority of cases the company names are pulled out of a hat and don't exist. End result: The local Land Office gets paid its commission for the sale plus property tax...and the deed gets stamped with a fake company name on page one.

3) Prostitution wouldn't survive without it's corrupt network. If they would just legalize prostitution, which they've been bantering around for years, the businesses that employ sex workers wouldn't have to keep dumping their profits into $$tea money$$.

Sorry for getting us a bit off track.