Prime Minister Election

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Prime Minister Election

Post by Gaybutton »

KeithAmbrose wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:56 pm Trump and friends?
I'm sure many compare what is going on to Trump, but I don't see it as the same thing or even similar. No one is disputing that Pita won the general election. However by current Thai law, while what the senators are doing may be considered by many to be wrong, no laws have been broken and nobody stands to be charged with any criminal lawbreaking. No one is spreading lies. Their refusal to approve Pita as Prime Minister, again by current Thai law, they did have a right to do what they did. No one is suggesting that criminal charges be brought against anyone since nothing criminal happened. All of it, right or wrong, took place within Thai law. I see nothing "Trump-esque" about it.

The way I see it, I think it is immoral to disregard the overwhelming popular vote. What obviously ought to be done is serious changes in the election laws. They can start with changing to elected senators rather than appointed senators. As I said, I don't see Pita as the type who is going to just fade away. I think he is going to continue to fight and continue to be a household name in Thailand. If changes in the way things are currently done can come about, maybe Pita will become Prime Minister when the next election comes around, no matter who ends up as Prime Minister now, especially if the general population disapproves of whoever it is. But as it stands now, winning the election, even by such a landslide, just isn't enough.

The main issue that prevented him from becoming Prime Minister is his and his party's unwavering stance on changing the Lese Majeste laws. I truly believe if he had compromised on that he already would be Thailand's new Prime Minister. I think he should have seen to it that he gets in office and later down the road worry about the Lese Majeste laws.
KeithAmbrose

Post by KeithAmbrose »

Yes. I agree re your last paragraph. Rather concerning, as it shows lack of judgement.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Now that Srettha has been elected Thailand's new Prime Minister, I am closing this topic.

For information about the election and your posts, please see the "Thai Parliament Elects Srettha as Prime Minister" topic.

viewtopic.php?p=111281#p111281