Arab Motorcycle Scum Return

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Arab Motorcycle Scum Return

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:05 pm How long have you been living in Thailand? how many issues can you, or anyone else who posts here, think of where planning by the "powers-that-be" has had any effect?
An hour and a half . . .

I can't think of much, but I thought the way they handled the Covid crisis was quite effective. Other than that I'm drawing a blank.
Jun

Post by Jun »

bkkguy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:05 pm How many issues can you, or anyone else who posts here, think of where planning by the "powers-that-be" has had any effect? PM2.5 pollution? traffic in Bangkok or Pattaya? drought and rain and rice farming in Isaan? corruption?
None ?

It's about time for a change in personnel at the government level, but the Junta seem to have designed a constitution to block that.

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:40 pmI can't think of much, but I thought the way they handled the Covid crisis was quite effective.
They were reasonably effective at minimising reported covid deaths. However, the restrictions were kept in place for far too long & the tourism sector still hasn't recovered properly from that.
Meanwhile, they don't even bother doing anything with other causes of unnecessary deaths.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:29 pm Meanwhile, they don't even bother doing anything with other causes of unnecessary deaths.
I agree. It's either that or it's too little, too late, which is exactly what happened with the Kuwaiti motorbike maniacs. I can't think of any reason that even begins to justify what has been going on. They knew from past behavior just what to expect, but did nothing proactive to prevent it. Their reactive efforts have been ineffective. What is the problem about putting enough police out there to stop this behavior?

While they are always so worried about the "good image" of Pattaya, yes it certainly is a good image - for the wrong people. The motorbike maniacs go to Pattaya every year and behave like this because their image is Pattaya is helpless to be able to control their behavior.

And I expect they'll be back for more next year. The problem this year was so severe that maybe the powers-that-be will do something proactive and effective this time to prevent it from happening again, but I won't be holding my breath.

What do you folks think - will Pattaya have come up with a way to prevent anything similar from happening again next year, or will the same problem, or worse, happen next year?
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:59 am What do you folks think - will Pattaya have come up with a way to prevent anything similar from happening again next year,
They should mount another 200 police operation and move all offenders to the police station and keep them in detention for as long as it takes to sort out the fines, confiscated bikes, etc.

This should of course happen in the last few days just before they are due to return to the Sandpit…thus ensuring they miss their flights and are forced to buy new, expensive, last minute one way tickets home..
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:59 am What do you folks think - will Pattaya have come up with a way to prevent anything similar from happening again next year, or will the same problem, or worse, happen next year?
As a long standing resident, you will be able to tell me: When did the Pattaya authorities last fix anything properly ?
That might give us some clues.

Gerefan has just explained how they can fix the issue right now. They haven't chosen to do that.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:05 pm Gerefan has just explained how they can fix the issue right now. They haven't chosen to do that.
Gerefan is right, they haven't. To me that's the prime question: WHY haven't they? I just don't understand what the authorities gain, or think they gain, by tolerating it.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:21 pm To me that's the prime question: WHY haven't they? I just don't understand what the authorities gain, or think they gain, by tolerating it.
Invert the question. Why would they bother stopping it?

If this happened over the wall from the residence of <a person we're not allowed to discuss> in Bangkok, it would be stopped immediately. People of lower standing don't seem to matter much & I presume no one in a position of authority or influence lives near Soi Yensabai.

What we don't know is how well the police get paid off when they go to the motorcycle hire places.
We also don't know who is investing in the hotels down that street.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:42 pm What we don't know is how well the police get paid off when they go to the motorcycle hire places.
We don't even know if the police get paid off. But I believe something is rotten in Denmark. My thinking is the only reason there has been any action at all is because there has been so much pressure from media reports.

I wish the media would be more thorough and detailed. Reports tell us some of maniacs have been fined, but I don't know how much or if they paid the fines. Some have been arrested. Ok, then what?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:32 pmWe don't even know if the police get paid off.
Well, we know the local police are fond of a bribe.
If the motorcycle hire places comply with all regulations, perhaps there are no grounds for collecting bribes.
However, if the police impound motorcycles and there is anything slightly irregular with the hiring process, we all know how that gets solved.

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:32 pmBut I believe something is rotten in Denmark
Apparently that's Shakespeare. The second biggest waste of time at my former school, a long way behind religion.

Anyhow, these days, very little is rotten in the state of Denmark, as they are top of the Corruptions Perception Index (good). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruptio ... ions_Index

The UK is at 18, US 24 & Thailand comes in at 101. I suspect if they measured it for Pattaya, an even worse score would result.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:55 pm Well, we know the local police are fond of a bribe.
That doesn't mean bribery has anything to do with this problem. That makes zero sense to me and it is too simple an explanation.

Do you have any evidence to support that the Kuwaiti motorbike problem is a result of police taking bribes to ignore it? Other than personal opinion and guesses I know of no such evidence. But if you turn out to be right, who do you suppose is doing the bribing and who is the recipient of the bribes and for approximately how much?

I don't believe that is what is going on. This problem has been happening for many years and has been slowly escalating every year. I remember when it was just a very few motorbikes zooming up and down the sois. I don't imagine bribery was happening back then. So, if you are right, then at some point the bribery must have gotten started. When do you suppose that would have been?

Why is it only Kuwaitis going to Pattaya and behaving like this. I know of no groups, large or small, from any other countries going to Pattaya, or anywhere else in Thailand, doing anything similar.

I know another way to put a stop to it. Have the tour buses park on those sois.

By the way, I greatly enjoy Shakespeare, but I definitely agree with you about religion.