Cabinet approves 24/7 hours for the bars - but it's not a done deal just yet

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Cabinet approves 24/7 hours for the bars - but it's not a done deal just yet

Post by Gaybutton »

Thai Cabinet Approves 24/7 Operation of Entertainment Venues in EEC Areas Including Pattaya

By Tanakorn Panyadee

19 July, 2023

The Thai Cabinet has approved a proposal to allow nightlife venues in the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) area to operate 24 hours a day to meet the growing needs of tourists.

This includes the popular tourist city of Pattaya with thousands of entertainment venues.

However, before you get too excited, the regulation is not yet official and needs approval from regional and local leaders along with guidelines and regulations for the change. No timeline for this has been set.

The Ministry of the Interior is currently in the process of drafting a royal decree to allow the 24-hour operation of the entertainment venues within the EEC area. No exact completion date of the decree has been given yet.

The EEC area covers three provinces in the Eastern region of Thailand, namely Chonburi, Chachoengsao, and Rayong. However, not every nightlife venue in the province is allowed to stay open around the clock, only those in designated areas.

This legislation aims to support businesses in the EEC area in catering to increasing tourists who arrive at the U-Tapao Airport.

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports agreed that there should be measures to tackle issues that may arise after the legislation becomes effective. This includes the regular evaluation of the the safety of transportation, property, noise and waste pollution, in the surrounding areas.

The Office of the National Economic and Social Development Council also believes that relevant agencies should monitor the operations of establishments on a regular basic to ensure that they comply with existing rules and regulations.

As for Pattaya, local officials will need to discuss the legislation first before making a decision in terms of which areas it will apply to and what rules and regulations will apply. No set date for when this is expected to happen has been given so excited bar owners are being told to wait for more information and city communication for now and to adhere to current legal closing times in the interim. Some early proposals suggest the change may only be to certain zones, such as Walking Street, and not the whole city, but this remains to be seen.

TPN media notes the Thai government is also in a period of flux and this decision was made by the caretaker cabinet and Tourism Authority of Thailand in conjunction with EEC officials. Depending on who ends up becoming the Thai Prime Minister this situation could change.

Local MPs for Banglamung and Pattaya have been strong supporters of making Pattaya a 24 hour city like Vegas as we described here previously.

We will continue to update you on this and all news right here in Pattaya.

https://thepattayanews.com/2023/07/19/t ... g-pattaya/
Dodger

Re: Cabinet approves 24/7 hours for the bars - but it's not a done deal just yet

Post by Dodger »

AS ALWAYS:

Another half-baked "Proposal" tossed carelessly up in the air to see which way the wind takes it.

I imagine a year from now - following a flood of contradictions, misinterpretations, chaos, and confusion - some of the bar opening hours may change. No one will interpret the actual requirements the same way, nor will there be any continuity in the way they are being enforced. All roaring down the same set of train tracks on the "Tea Money Express".

Welcome to Thailand!
Gaybutton

Re: Cabinet approves 24/7 hours for the bars - but it's not a done deal just yet

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:54 am some of the bar opening hours may change.
If this goes through, I'm wondering how many of you are planning to go to the bars between 5:00 and 7:00am - where you know plenty of boys will be eagerly waiting to serve you. That will be pretty good considering most of the boys are still sound asleep at 1:00-2:00pm . . .

Actually I do like the idea of the bars getting to decide their operating hours for themselves. My guess it would be more likely that they would open earlier rather than staying open beyond the hours when most of their customers have already left. My guess for the gay bars is 7:30pm - 3:00am

Of course, some of the beer guzzling farang living in my area probably will be at their regular bars at those 5:00 and 7:00am hours. I've seen them already drinking by 8:00am and at it most of the day. After all, can't beat an early start.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Unrestricted bar opening hours are, in my view, a terrible idea.

There is a risk that bars end up with stupid opening hours of 22:00 to 3:00, as I encountered at one gay bar in Prague.
I rolled up at 22:20 and even the bar staff were still stood outside chatting, with no one inside the bar. I went for a walk and by about 23:00, there were about 3 customers in there.

Or there was the gay rent bar in Madrid that didn't open until 24:00.

If they have "mandatory" closing times any time between 23:00 and 2:00 am, I still have plenty of time for drinking sufficiently or even excessively.

Then, as this is Pattaya, irrespective of what the law says, there will always be a handful of all night bars for people who need them. Bars who have somehow incentivised the police to turn a blind eye.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:53 pm There is a risk that bars end up with stupid opening hours of 22:00 to 3:00, as I encountered at one gay bar in Prague.
In Pattaya and even Bangkok I don't think that would happen. Although I have never been to Prague, I am guessing their customers are mostly locals who live there and are used to those kinds of hours.

In places such as Pattaya the customer base is mostly tourists - many of whom like to spend their afternoons at the beach, and then dinner followed by the bars. The restaurants are not going to change their hours, and bar customers tend to go to the bars right after dinner. What else is there for them to do? I think the bars will want their open hours to accommodate that. I can't think of any Pattaya gay bars that will be closed until 22:00 and I doubt that would happen in Bangkok either.
Jun

Post by Jun »

These bars in Prague used to attract lots of overseas visitors. Once upon a time, it even made a nice weekend trip. Now Czech citizens can work anywhere in the EU, so self employed rent boys might as well go where the money is.

You're probably right on opening hours, although I note that many gogo bars don't officially open until 9:00 pm and some might not actually put anyone on stage until near 10:00 pm.
Meanwhile, if I understand correctly, what sounds like the most interesting of the two shows at The Venue is on at 0:00 am. I think I saw a 1:00 am show advertised in Boys Town.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

HUH? WHAT?!? - It ain't exactly what we thought. Are they kidding? This makes zero sense to me. Bars open 24/7 near the airport, but not in Pattaya? Just what the flying public needs. How would you like to board an airplane full of people who just spent the last couple hours getting drunk for their flight?

Welcome to the latest item for my "I Don't Get It" list . . .
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Thai Officials Clarify Approval of 24/7 Entertainment Venues in the Pattaya Area: U-Tapao Airport Area Only

By Tanakorn Panyadee

23 July, 2023

The Thai Cabinet has approved a proposal to allow entertainment venues to operate 24-hours a day only in the U-Tapao International Airport area to boost tourism. Thai officials and entertainment association representatives have since clarified after the original proposal appeared to cover Pattaya as well. This is not, for now, the case.

Mr. Damrongkiet Pinitkarn, a secretary of the Pattaya Entertainment Association, told the Pattaya News that the Thai cabinet HAS approved to allow 24-hour operation of entertainment venues but only in the U-Tapao International Airport area and planned to be developed airport city. This allowance is primarily to service passengers who are waiting for their flights so they can order alcohol to drink and not for all night and day beach and nightclubs. This proposal for 24-hour operations does not currently affect entertainment venues in Pattaya, Damrongkiet clarified.

Damrongkiet did add that entertainment venue owners in Pattaya were still pursuing a legal 4:00 A.M. closing hours extension and zoning extensions in Pattaya which have already been formally requested to the appropriate agencies. However, business owners and tourists will have to wait for a final decision when the country has a new government and Prime Minister.

If a zoning extension is approved, it should not affect local residential communities in a negative manner, Damrongkiet added. The current proposal, notes TPN media, is to extend entertainment zones out of Central Pattaya and into portions of Jomtien, Naklua, and Eastern Pattaya. Indeed, in reality, there are already many bars and entertainment venues in these areas, especially in Jomtien, but technically they are supposed to be only restaurants without hostesses, music, or entertainment due to zoning laws from 2002.

We will continue to keep you updated on this story but for now the legal closing times in Pattaya remain 2:00 A.M. in entertainment zones and midnight in non-entertainment areas.

https://tpnnational.com/2023/07/23/thai ... area-only/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I will put this topic back on "Announcements" if there is any indication this also will apply to the Pattaya bars.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:38 pmI will put this topic back on "Announcements" if there is any indication this also will apply to the Pattaya bars.
Is that official board specialization in Pattaya now ? ;)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:00 pm Is that official board specialization in Pattaya now ?
Apparently so . . .