In other words, nothing

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

In other words, nothing

Post by Gaybutton »

From reading this article it seems to me the steps to be taken to handle traffic problems can be boiled down to one sentence: Please obey the traffic and parking rules.

Great! A fat lot of good that's going to do. I suppose little things like actually having police out there enforcing those rules, synchronizing traffic signals, no parking during rush hours, limiting what kinds of vehicles can enter the city at all - none of that means anything. Instead merely urging cooperation by all - that's gonna do it . . .

"Of course dear. What did you expect?"
- Gladys Cooper (Mrs. Higgins). 'My Fair Lady'

Public and private sectors pledge to tackle Pattaya traffic woes

By Pattaya Mail

July 21, 2023

A concerted effort to improve traffic flow and elevate the tourist experience in Pattaya took center stage at the Sabai Sabana Hotel, as the Pattaya Business and Tourism Association (PBTA) hosted a pivotal meeting on July 19. Under the leadership of President Boonanant Pattanasin and the presence of Pattaya Mayor Poramet Ngampichet, the gathering focused on finding effective solutions to the city’s pressing traffic and parking challenges.

Representatives from the Chonburi Transport Office, law enforcement officers, baht-bus (Song Taew) operators, motorcycle taxi drivers, and other relevant authorities actively participated, providing a platform for open dialogue and collaborative brainstorming. The primary objective of the meeting was to devise and enforce comprehensive tourist service regulations and traffic laws, aiming to ensure seamless traffic management and bolster Pattaya’s reputation as a forward-thinking “Smart City.”

Amidst various issues discussed, a crucial aspect was the pressing need for clear and strictly enforced parking regulations. Encouragingly, baht-bus and motorcycle taxi operators expressed their willingness to cooperate and recognize the vital importance of adhering to traffic laws.

A specific hotspot of concern brought to the forefront was the intersection of Wat Chai Mongkol Market on Pattaya 2nd Road. Despite the presence of clear “No Parking” signs, some drivers persist in parking and waiting for passengers along the roadside, leading to congestion and inconveniences for pedestrians. Motorcycle taxis, too, contribute to traffic issues through reckless maneuvers on the roads.

In response to these critical concerns, Pattaya authorities reassured all attendees of their commitment to take prompt and decisive action in addressing the challenges surrounding traffic management. They promised to strictly enforce parking regulations to ensure smoother traffic flow in problematic zones.

The meeting culminated with a sense of shared responsibility and understanding between the PBTA and transport operators, underlining their joint commitment to collaborate and effectively uphold the city’s traffic regulations for the benefit of both residents and tourists.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/public ... oes-436388
Jun

Re: In other words, nothing

Post by Jun »

Pattaya Mail wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:39 pm A specific hotspot of concern brought to the forefront was the intersection of Wat Chai Mongkol Market on Pattaya 2nd Road. Despite the presence of clear “No Parking” signs, some drivers persist in parking and waiting for passengers along the roadside, leading to congestion and inconveniences for pedestrians.
I need a geography lesson here.

I thought Wat Chai Monkol was the one on the corner of second road and south road. The sign says Chai Mongkron, in Roman and วัดชัยมงคล in Thai. I think the Thai letter ล is an L at the start of a syllable and an N at the end.
So it's pretty easy to see how Thai transliteration to the Roman alphabet is so inconsistent.

Google maps has Wat Chai Mongkol Market as the one off south road. Some of us use that as a nice short cut between Sunee & Boys Town. That market had closed.

So what are they referring to on second road ?

Excluding roadworks, the number one obstruction I see on second road is baht buses blocking 2 or even 3 lanes outside of Central, hoping for customers.
So solve that one, all they need to do is ban baht buses from operating on these routes and put in a proper bus service, with stops. Buses work nicely in Bangkok, which proves it can be done in Thailand.

Then start taxing car parking to discourage cars and fund further public transport improvements.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:37 pm So solve that one, all they need to do is ban baht buses from operating on these routes and put in a proper bus service, with stops. Buses work nicely in Bangkok, which proves it can be done in Thailand.

Then start taxing car parking to discourage cars and fund further public transport improvements.
You have brought up those ideas many times. Seems to me if they were ever going to do any of it, they would have done so long before now. I think what they will really do is what they normally do - nothing.

As for parking problems, I am surprised parking meters have never been put in place in Pattaya. That would solve some parking problems, but nowadays they would need sophisticated technology - such as meters that can accept both coins and Prompt Pay. I, for one, rarely carry much cash since the advent of "scanner pay" and I don't even have coins anymore. And since I doubt Pattaya would hire "meter maids" there would also need some sort of technology to automatically fine cars that park longer than they paid for or some sort of billing system similar to Easy Pass.

However, I doubt parking meters are coming anyway, at least not in the foreseeable future.

I have seen no movement other than talk once in a while about the trams. Oh well, maybe once future archeologists manage to discover Pattaya and excavate it like Pompeii, that's when trams will be built.

As far as I can tell, the method of dealing with the traffic problems in Pattaya is a recommendation to just live with it . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:07 pm I think what they will really do is what they normally do - nothing
Agreed.

Copying what works elsewhere is way too difficult for the authorities, so they do nothing.