Pattaya Teenagers Vandalize Park

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Pattaya Teenagers Vandalize Park

Post by Gaybutton »

These kinds of stories have become quite common. My question is where are the parents? Are they responsible for nothing at all? Is it that they do not or cannot control their children?

What are these teenagers doing out there at those hours in the first place? Why, if they don't have driving licenses, do they have access to motorbikes?

I blame the parents as much as the teenagers - and these kinds of stories have been appearing in the media since the parents themselves were teenagers.

I believe there are ways to put a stop to it - and quickly. When the teens are caught, then heavily fine the parents - very heavily. And make them financially responsible for the cost of repairing the damage. Along with that, put the teens to work under strict police supervision cleaning up the mess they made and perhaps additional community service such as working at animal shelters, beach cleanups, etc. Jail time seems appropriate too, especially if they are caught with any weapons. I would even have them have to go around to all the residents they disturbed and apologize. And make the rival gangs work together.

Obviously these teens have nothing better to do. I'd like to see sports, instead of fights and weapons, settle rivalry disputes. Football games, boxing, even badminton - you name it - again under police supervision.

If that starts happening I seriously doubt many teenagers will be out at all hours causing this kind of mayhem. These teens need to learn to be responsible adults, not criminals.

Pattaya Teenagers Vandalize Chak Nok Public Park

By Tanakorn Panyadee

27 July, 2023

Dissolute teenagers in Pattaya vandalized the Chak Nok Public Park in Soi Thung Klom-Tan Man, spray painting on rocks and chopping down trees for fun.

The Chak Nok Public Park, managed by the Nong Prue Municipality, is usually opened to the public for exercise and relaxation, featuring large decorative stones and various species of trees. However, it recently has became a popular late-night hangout spot for teenagers in Pattaya.

Yesterday, July 27th, in the middle of the night, a large group of youngsters aged 14-18 years old gathered at the park overnight to cause a public disturbance. Nearby villagers complained to The Pattaya News that they heard the group carelessly revving up their motorbike engines for no apparent reason.

The worst thing is that after the group left the park, it was discovered that many trees, including the popular coconut trees, had been destroyed and chopped down. Additionally, various profane graffiti in the Thai language were found all over the decorative stones, creating a permanent eyesore for decent park users.

The park, in which the city had invested over 60 million baht for decorations over the years, is now riddled with damaged trees and dirty rocks, according to the reports.

One nearby resident, who saw the group, stated that around 20 teenagers often gathered there late at night to smoke and chat. They also rode their motorbikes recklessly around the park, having crashed into each other frequently.

The resident added that one of them also carried a long knife, dragging it around to vandalize trees. On some occasions, they even staged a fight among themselves, with groups of friends cheering them on, resembling a boxing arena, the resident stated.

In a message to the authorities, the resident said, “I would like to urge the relevant authorities to be more rigorous in preventing this incident as it is becoming more severe and has significantly ruined the park.”

The Pattaya News will provide an update on the authorities’ response once it becomes available. Some residents have suggested after a number of violent incidents with teens implementing a curfew for those under eighteen in Pattaya unless the teen is working or traveling with family. TPN media notes curfews for minors is a popular rule in some western countries but not in Thailand.

https://thepattayanews.com/2023/07/27/p ... blic-park/
Jun

Re: Pattaya Teenagers Vandalize Park

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:23 pm What are these teenagers doing out there at those hours in the first place? Why, if they don't have driving licenses, do they have access to motorbikes?

I blame the parents as much as the teenagers - and these kinds of stories have been appearing in the media since the parents themselves were teenagers.

I believe there are ways to put a stop to it - and quickly. When the teens are caught, then heavily fine the parents - very heavily.
The article says 14~18 years old. So the 18 year olds could have motorcycle licenses ?

Of course, I must admit to seeing under age people on motorcycles and very young kids out unsupervised late at night.

Also, at what age are people considered to be adults in Thailand ? It's 18 here in the UK. So no problem prosecuting the 18 year olds.

Unlike in the UK, I would have thought Thai police might get away with dispensing a well deserved and unofficial thrashing to the under 18s. But perhaps not ? Of course, there is no tea money in it, so perhaps little motivation to act.
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya Teenagers Vandalize Park

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:02 pm The article says 14~18 years old. So the 18 year olds could have motorcycle licenses ?
They could. In Thailand the minimum age for a car license is 18, but for a motorbike license it's 15.

Do you really think any of them even bothered?

Maybe the powers-that-be will finally do something. After all, it is bad for Pattaya's "good image" . . .