Problem coming for retirement visa?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Problem coming for retirement visa?

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:06 am According to the Nation article (linked below) which was released on August 6th
Apparently that article is a "re-release". Although THE NATION released it August 6, 2023, the article itself clearly shows it was first published February 1, 2019.

I like this line from the article:
In October 2018, the then newly appointed immigration chief Surachate Hakpan vowed to crack down on visa agents who falsify documents for foreigners applying for visas and extensions of stay.
That chief is "Big Joke". Nearly 5 years later, nothing has changed for the visa agents and they are operating as usual.

For those using visa agents simply for convenience, but are really fully qualified for the retirement visa, I suggest you start inconveniencing yourself and take care of your extensions personally at your immigration office. Using visa agents for retirement visa extensions, even legitimately, may become a problem if this time "Big Joke" gets his way.

For those using visa agents because there is no other way for you to get the retirement visa, you very well might end up facing a big problem, but I wouldn't start packing my bags just yet. Even if "Big Joke" does get his way, getting retirement visas for people with, shall we say "questionable" eligibility, is big business for these visa service companies. If there is a way to circumvent and get visas for people under such circumstances, believe me they'll figure it out. But if even visa service companies can't help you, now start packing your bags . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

The fish rots from the head. If the the head of immigration gets his cut of the tea money, he has an incentive to keep the corrupt schemes going and occasionally increase fees as well.

I believe an alternative to keeping 800,000 in a bank is paying about 15,000 to a visa agent. They briefly transfer 800,000 to a bank account at a specific bank & somehow the fact that that it's not been there for the correct amount of time is overlooked.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Sorry for referencing the wrong original release date for the Nation article.

It's impossible to estimate just how much money we're talking about, but if you take just 10% (an extremely conservative estimate) of another very rough estimate (dart toss) of 300,000 retired expats who are paying agents for their visa extensions each year that equals 420 million baht each year (30,000 X 14,000 THB) flowing between the agents and Immigration. In all likelihood the percentage of expats using the services of visa agents is MUCH HIGHER than the percentage shown here. Very serious money.

Interesting, that if the same 30,000 expats were using Immigration services versus agents the amount of income being collected by Immigration on an annual basis would be significantly reduced to around 57 million THB (30,000 X 1,900): 420 million (using agents) minus 57 million (not using agents) equals 363 million THB.

I wonder where the 363 million baht is going???
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:42 am In all likelihood the percentage of expats using the services of visa agents is MUCH HIGHER than the percentage shown here. Very serious money.
I think the brouhaha about this is only because it was "Big Joke" who brought it up. He is well known and highly respected, especially since he seems to be a totally honest cop who can't be bought. If it was anybody else I doubt much attention would be paid to it.

Meanwhile, a lot of people are quite upset by this because of it coming from "Big Joke" and are not buying the idea that there is no reason to worry. Many are getting the impression that Thailand doesn't want any foreign expats unless they are very wealthy.

I don't believe that is the case. Thailand does want wealthy foreigners, that is true, but nobody is proposing that those who legitimately have the means to live under the rules, support themselves, and pay their bills are not also welcome.

All this got started a few years ago because apparently there was a significant number of farang who ran up huge hospital bills, had no proper insurance to pay those bills, then fled the country without paying.

I believe it is people like that along with foreign criminals that "Big Joke" is trying to get rid of. I fully support him in that, but again I do not support a method that would mean innocent expats who do follow the rules and pay their bills end up caught in the middle of it. I see that as neither reasonable nor fair.

I know one set of criminals he could start with right now - the motorbike maniacs around Sunee Plaza. What they're doing is certainly criminal activity. I wish he would arrest, deport, and blacklist every one of them. I think Thailand can survive quite nicely even if they completely alienate Kuwaitis. If this is how they behave, and obviously it is, who needs them?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I agree with what this man is saying - that it is much too soon to start getting upset, that nothing has changed, and if there are any changes they are unlikely to happen any time soon.

I also notice that while "Big Joke" started this, I have not seen a single member of the current powers-that-be saying anything about it one way or the other. As I said in an earlier post, I think with all that is going on with Thai politics, they have much bigger fish to fry than worrying about raising the amount we're forced to keep in a Thai bank account or anything else about retirement visas.

What I do suggest for those who do not hold the retirement visa, but are seriously contemplating retirement in Thailand, then get the "O" visa as soon as you can if you are eligible. At least you'll already be in the system if and when any changes do occur. I also recommend getting the visa when you are in Thailand rather than in your home country. That way you'll get the "O" visa rather than the "O-A".

Also, if you need any help establishing a Thai bank account, getting the retirement visa, getting a Thai driving license, etc, the visa services are still in full operation. Nothing has changed for them either.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I have seen no further publicity about this. If and when additional information becomes available, I will place this topic back under "Announcements".