Online Thai Language Learning

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Online Thai Language Learning

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:48 pmI didn't mean Google Translate. I meant just Google.
Google and google translate use the same database. Type I like. with a full stop and I get the same error in the audio track.
Gaybutton wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:48 pm By the way, yes Chan usually means female, but can be interchangeable. Whoever sees or hears the translation ought to be able to figure out you are male unless you're talking to a moron. You don't need to have any qualms about using it in translations.
I don't mind minor errors when I'm merely translating. For example, during a visit to M-Bar.

Given that some of the lads in Pattaya use ka, it wouldn't surprise me if they use Chan as well. Some of those are probably the types that a certain board member would expect to be lining up for gender reassignment.
I'm intending to use Pom.

When I'm intending to learn the vocabulary, I want it to be correct. Hence dual sourcing translations.
billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

Jun wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:06 pm I was using this site in Thailand, on my Android tablet: http://www.thai-language.com/id/234098

I'd also like to use it at home on my PC, but so far no amount of fiddling around will get it to play the audio files on either of my browsers.
If anyone else finds the audio files work on their PC, I might persevere in trying to fix it.

Also, I'd like to hear about any similar sites.
Use the site's control panel to change the audio files from WMA to .mp3

Works fine in Chrome.
Jun

Post by Jun »

billyhouston wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:26 pm Use the site's control panel to change the audio files from WMA to .mp3 Works fine in Chrome.
Thank you. Now I have that working in Chrome, although I thought I tried that setting yesterday, without success.

It still doesn't work in Firefox with the same settings, but I can tolerate Chrome for that site.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

I get posts about Thai language learning on Facebook and Instagram, and they all speak a lot of English before coming to the point. That would be a huge waste of time for me, and in general I think language learning should quickly switch to using the target language in class, even if slow and with repeats and translations. In Chinese I quickly found material that uses Chinese to teach Chinese.

I recently was in Shenzhen, the world electronics capital, and salespeople in electronic malls used digital translators (the size of a mobile phone, and a screen like a mobile phone, but other than that a different system as far as I can tell) to good success: he speaks Chinese and the machine displays written Chinese and English translation, and can read out the English as well. I should have taken a closer look, where those devices are for sale, which languages they support and to know if it works offline.
Jun

Post by Jun »

christianpfc wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:43 pmI get posts about Thai language learning on Facebook and Instagram, and they all speak a lot of English before coming to the point.
I find that too.

I tried recording the audio off You Tube Thai teaching videos, so I can listen to it whilst out for a walk. There's usually far too much waffle in there.

I then tried editing this down with audacity.
In the most recent case, I've reduced the track length by 66% without losing any content. I probably should have cut 75%.