Sure Glad I Retired in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Sure Glad I Retired in Thailand

Post by Jun »

Dodger wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:38 am My policy in Thailand will increase incrementally by another 12% or so over the next 15 years. It covers extended care, with 600,000 out-patient per year/per medical incident, and 5 million baht in-patient per year/per medical incident with a deductible of 40,000 THB. It's world-wide coverage, and as long as you continue to maintain the policy they cover you until death regardless of age.

Regardless of how much a person is paying for health insurance - their total cost-of-living expenses in Thailand would be less than half of what they're faced with in the West...and that's without the bouncing-brown-boys making it a no-brainer!!!
Thank you.

Does this mean you expect an increase of only 12% in 15 years ?
Or 12% per year for 15 years ? Which means at 85, the premium would be 5.5x the price today.

Is that just the age related component, or does it include inflation ? Ageing is predictable, but inflation is not.

I would like to understand this properly, as here in the UK we have a communist state healthcare system, funded by taxes & I'm not so familiar with health insurance.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:58 pm I would like to understand this properly, as here in the UK we have a communist state healthcare system, funded by taxes & I'm not so familiar with health insurance.
There are so many variations about health insurance that any one explanation won't do it. The basic explanation is the amount you pay for it depends on many variables:

1. Whether the insurance company is willing to insure you in the first place, usually depending on your age when you first buy it and where you live.
2. What kind of policy and coverage you choose - and there are a great many choices and each insurance company offers their own choices.
3. How much of a deductible you have. If you don't know what a deductible is, it is the amount you have to pay the hospital, doctor, or whatever first, and then the insurance pays the rest. In other words, Dodger says his deductible is 40,000 baht. If he gets a hospital bill of 100,000 baht, he will have to pay 40,000 baht and his insurance will pay 60,000 baht. If his total bill is less than 40,000 baht, then he has to pay all of it.
4. Whether your insurance will pay the hospital directly or whether you have to pay the whole bill first and then wait for the insurance company to reimburse you.
5. Whether there are any exclusions. For example, if you have some sort of preexisting medical problem and it arose before you bought your insurance, the insurance company might exclude coverage for that problem. I remember seeing one insurance company that will exclude any injuries caused by a dog if you own a pit bull.
6. Whether you have choice of hospital or you have to go to a hospital the insurance company designates.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones occurring to me at the moment. The point is finding the right medical insurance policy for you is quite a complicated procedure and requires a great deal of shopping around.

I consider myself very fortunate to have my policy with Cigna Global expat insurance. I am covered anywhere in the world except my home country. Which hospital I go to is entirely up to me, but they do have a list of their preferred hospitals. In Pattaya their preferred hospital is Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital. It is my preference too. In Bangkok there are several. Bumrungrad Hospital is one of their preferred hospitals.

They pay the hospital directly. I only have to pay the deductible. And if it is an ongoing procedure, several times a year, I only have to pay the deductible once a year, not every visit.

How much I pay for my insurance has been going up about 9% per year, but I have no complaints about their price. Also, I opted for a very low deductible. If the premiums start to get difficult, I can always go to a higher deductible and reduce the cost of the premiums that way.

My insurance will cover me, no age limit, as long as I pay the premiums. I am covered up to US $1-million per year.

I had a farang friend who was looking for medical insurance. His preexisting condition was HIV. He was in his early 80s. Cigna Global was willing to insure him for about US $10,000 per year, which he could pay annually, semi-annually, quarterly, or monthly - his choice.

I have no idea how it works for you in the UK or what you have to do to see a doctor or get admitted to a hospital. If it is entirely tax-based, I also have no idea how much that portion of your taxes costs.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Dodger wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:00 pm In America, based on the average persons annual net income this is the percentage they spend on the following basic needs:
Housing = 36%

As compared to my spending in Thailand:
Housing = 3% (annual condo maintenance fees)
Are you mixing two things up? Rent or mortgage in the US, condo maintenance fees in Thailand?
But even if you compare rent in US vs. rent in Thailand, numbers for Thailand come out much lower.

Rent was my main expense when I was living and working in Europe, but once I moved to Thailand, I spend more money on entertainment (travel and boys) than on rent. I have a friend who spends more money on beer than on rent.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

christianpfc wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:14 pm I have a friend who spends more money on beer than on rent.
I had to chuckle when I read this, because my bar bins were usually quadruple the costs of my rent when I was visiting Thailand on holiday...and that didn't include "the boys". That's back when 90% of my money was budgeted for BEER - BARS - BOYS, and the remaining 10% covered everything else... :lol: