Baht Weakest in 10 months

Anything and everything about Thailand
Montree

Re: Baht Weakest in 10 months

Post by Montree »

I'm getting 44.65 Baht against the Pound in Pattaya today (13 Dec) which is the highest I've seen for a long time.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dollar weakens as rate cuts expected.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:15 pm Dollar weakens as rate cuts expected.
That's disappointing. Only 2 days ago the WISE exchange rate for the US dollar was 35.73. Now it is 34.93. I hope it turns around again. I doubt any of us like to see the exchange rates going the wrong direction.

While it doesn't seem like it's much of a difference, for those of us who receive pension benefits once a month, even that small exchange rate loss means a difference of several thousand baht.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Over the years I have noticed that the Baht always strengthens at the start of the high season.

So I have instructed myself to change all my money on arrival.

This year I arrived on 3 December and immediately changed all my money and got 44.1 Baht per GBP.

Today, 27 December, the height of the high season, I see the baht is now worth only 43.35 per GBP. (All figures from T.T. Currency Exchange).

So it was worth me changing 3 months allowances on arrival!!

Whilst I agree there are other factors at play the onset of the high season must have some influence. Most previous years I’ve noticed the same thing.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I usually don't try to play the currency markets, as they are difficult for me. I'd rather put in the effort where the odds are more in my favour.

When taking cash, I used to change it all on arrival.
Having progressed onto Wise transfers, I usually send it all shortly before departure.

This time, I made an exception & transferred all the money early, to lock in a 44.15 baht rate (to GBP).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Unfortunately the latest prediction is the dollar will weaken and the baht will strengthen. I hope they've got it wrong.

Baht to strengthen against US dollar

Fed expected to start cutting interest rates

by Nareerat Wiriyapong

January 4, 2024

The baht could strengthen to 33 to the US dollar in the near term as the market is convinced the US Federal Reserve will start cutting interest rates by as early as March, bringing back fund inflows to the Thai currency.

The baht traded at 34.26-34.28 to the greenback on Wednesday, weakening slightly from Tuesday's close of 34.14. The depreciation was in line with other regional currencies as the US bond yield rose and there was higher demand for the dollar.

Kanjana Chockpisansin, head of research at Kasikorn Research Center (K-Research), said the Thai currency should fluctuate in a wide range this year based on Fed rate cuts, possibly appreciating to 33 to the greenback in the near term.

"The market believes the Fed will be quick to cut rates, doing it aggressively this year," Ms Kanjana told the Bangkok Post.

The market expects the US central bank to cut rates by as much as 1.5 percentage points in 2024, down from 5.25%-5.5% to around 4% by year-end, she said.

However, K-Research anticipates a more cautious tone for the Fed, cutting the benchmark rate by only 0.75 percentage points this year.

"The Fed worked very hard to curb US inflation by raising and maintaining rates at a high level. We don't think they will rush to cut the rate as the economy remains sound, while inflation remains persistently high," said Ms Kanjana.

The Thai currency will move according to the weakening dollar and the Fed's rate cuts, finishing at about 34 baht to the greenback by the end of the year, she said.

Therdsak Thaveeteeratham, executive vice-president of Asia Plus Securities, agreed that the baht could appreciate to 33 to the dollar, driven mainly by the expected US interest rate cuts starting in March.

The baht is strengthening, which is driving fund inflows, he said. Foreign investors were net buyers in the Stock Exchange of Thailand by 1.25 billion baht on Tuesday.

Tourism stimulus measures should increase the number of arrivals, especially Chinese travellers, which may lead to a trade surplus and services surplus, bolstering the baht, said Mr Therdsak.

From 2015 to 2019, Thailand had a current account surplus of 3.68 billion baht, mainly from a trade and services surplus, while the baht averaged 31 to the dollar. If the tourist volume rebounds, Thailand is expected to record a trade surplus and services surplus again, which will strengthen the baht and raise fund inflows, he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/ge ... -us-dollar
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

American expats will start receiving a 3.2% Social Security COLA increase this month which would help offset a stronger baht in 2024 - if-in-fact the baht does strengthen against the U.S. dollar. Who knows???