Automatic processing for outbound foreigners

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Automatic processing for outbound foreigners

Post by Gaybutton »

It's not as good as it sounds just yet. For now, only holders of Thai, Hong Kong, and Singapore passports will be able to use the automated system. If it works well, I believe it won't be long before they set it up to be available for all nationalities, which is why I placed this topic under "Announcements".

Meanwhile, Thailand seems to be so focused on trying to attract Chinese, I'm surprised they're not included from the start.

Automatic processing for outbound foreigners from next month

by Wassayos Ngamkham

November 15, 2023

Most outbound foreign travellers will be able to pass through automatic channels to quickly board planes at Suvarnabhumi airport, and relieve congestion, from next month.

Pol Maj Gen Choengron Rimphadee, commander of Immigration Division 2, said automatic processing at Suvarnabhumi is currently available only for passengers with Thai, Hong Kong or Singaporean passports.

The Immigration Bureau was improving its computer programming and amending regulations so that other departing foreigners could also use automatic channels, starting on Dec 15, he said.

He expected this would increase processing of outbound travellers at Suvarnabhumi airport from about 5,000 per hour to 12,000.

Pol Maj Gen Choengron said Airports of Thailand planned to also install more automatic channels at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports. Immigration officers could then be reassigned to speed up processing of inbound travellers.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... next-month

Thailand's Immigration Launches Automated Passport Control

by Webfact

November 15, 2023

Tourists can rejoice as the Immigration Bureau of Thailand responds to Prime Minister Setha Thavisin's policy by introducing an automated passport control system at Suvarnabhumi Airport, starting December 15th.

On November 14th, Police Lieutenant General Chengron Rimphadee, head of Immigration Bureau 2, discussed the progress in developing the Automated Channel at Suvarnabhumi Airport, reported Daily News.

This initiative aims to alleviate congestion at departure gates, allowing passengers to board their flights more efficiently. Additionally, it involves the use of technology for outbound passenger checks, freeing up immigration staff to focus more on inbound checks. This move aligns with the government's policy to enhance tourism convenience.

As per Prime Minister Setha Thavisin's directive, the Immigration Office has been instructed to improve the existing system and introduce the Automated Channel at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

This system is designed to expedite the departure process for outbound passengers, including the implementation of technology for passenger checks. The Automated Channel, previously available only to Thai passport holders, will now be accessible to foreign travelers. In preparation for the New Year festivities, the Immigration Bureau is accelerating system upgrades and procedural adjustments to meet the December 15th deadline.

Lieutenant General Chengron elaborated that the expansion of the Automated Channel for foreign nationals would double the airport's capacity to handle outbound passengers, increasing from 5,000 to approximately 12,000 passengers per hour. The new system will reduce the steps involved in the departure process while maintaining security checks for wanted criminals, individuals barred from leaving the country, and those overstaying their visas.

Continuing developments include the procurement of new Automated Channel systems by the Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited (AOT) to replace the 12-year-old systems at both Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang Airports. The installation will include 40 new machines for international departures at Suvarnabhumi, up from the current 16, and replacements for both the inbound and outbound channels at Don Mueang Airport. The updated systems promise to be more modern, accurate, and faster.

Lieutenant General Chengron concluded by noting the necessity of manual checks for international arrivals to ensure national security. The future installation of additional Automated Channel machines for departures will allow for increased staffing at the inbound passport control, thus accommodating the surge in passengers during peak travel periods.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1312194-thai ... t-control/
Jun

Re: Automatic processing for outbound foreigners

Post by Jun »

Just for comparison, 38 nationalities can ENTER the UK via the automatic gates. I believe it's the same for departure.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:29 pm 38 nationalities can ENTER the UK via the automatic gates.
Good to see Thailand finally moving in the right direction. As long as you are comparing, how long have the automatic gates been used in the UK? I'm curious as to how many years ago Thailand could have been doing the same . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:01 pm how long have the automatic gates been used in the UK? I'm curious as to how many years ago Thailand could have been doing the same . . .
I would think at least 15 years.

Thailand has also had them for several years. We're just not allowed to use them. With multiple photos of me, multiple copies of my fingerprints and a flawless immigration track record, apparently it's still been too difficult to have a computer check my immigration and emigration.

Mind you, this is a country that has pointless processes such as reentry permits. So what hope is there for rationalised systems ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:10 pm Thailand has also had them for several years.
I didn't know that. From the way the articles are worded, I thought the whole system is brand new. There are a lot of things in Thailand that could very easily be handled online and by computer, but improvements and modernization seem to happen only in occasional drips and dribbles. I suppose the bright side is at least once in a while they happen at all.

For me, the most convenient improvement they've come up with in quite a while is the online 90-day address report, although it still makes no sense to me why they find these reports necessary at all. Still having to spend about 2 minutes every 3 months dealing with it in the comfort of my home is certainly a major improvement over having to physically go to immigration.

But major airport improvements would certainly be helpful, especially considering no matter where so many foreigners are coming from (and going back to), the last thing they need is having to wait in long lines immediately after enduring a long-haul flight.
pong

Post by pong »

Yes, in EUR more&more airports-in case one has to pass passpt controls, have them. Flew into BKK on this trip via ZURich on Swiss and in that airprot-leaving the Schengen zone-it was also.
For TH-due to much lower wages, even for better trained officials and a lack of very knowledgeable staff for all possible queries etc. the case to automate it is much lower.
I guess-as Chinese are never admitted (as far as I have noted) anywhere that way, it may also have to do with the specifications that are hidden IN your passpt. And Chinese always like to make such things their own way-or perhaps they will never accept the standards set on such things with a lot of national pride in them, by others as from that middle Kingdom.
From what I understand it also will not work if one has visa or other specific entry - and hence also exit at the end- stored-maybe even still as an old-fashioned stamp.
Jun

Post by Jun »

pong wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:37 pmFor TH-due to much lower wages, even for better trained officials and a lack of very knowledgeable staff for all possible queries etc. the case to automate it is much lower.
Thailand already has the automatic passport gates. So the cost of actually allowing us to use them ought to be minimal.

Thailand also claims to have a labour shortage. One of the ways to fix that would be to fire all the people doing pointless admin jobs. Immigration would be a good place to start, although the first priority ought to be rationalizing daft procedures at all the local immigration offices rather than at the borders.