Merry Christmas - I Think?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Merry Christmas - I Think?

Post by Dodger »

Christmas has gradually transformed to a non-event and just passed me like a blink in the eye.

The memories of snow covering the ground...houses covered with colored lights...nativity scenes on every street corner with the sounds of people singing Christmas carols...with even the grumpiest of relatives smiling for a change...stacks of Christmas presents everywhere you look...reindeers perched on rooftops...the smell of mom's special fudge brownies flowing from the kitchen...rosy cheeks...running noses...and all to the sounds of Bing Crosby singing "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" filling the air. Those were the days.

As wonderful as those memories are, I have to admit that I much prefer the peace and serenity that retirement life in Thailand provides me. I think it's just the mere fact that there's so much less stress during the holidays now, e.g., trying to figure out how I can buy gifts for 35 relatives when I haven't the foggiest clue what they want, trying to find the right gift for Aunt Dorothy even though I can't stand her, and better yet, trying to figure out what to say to Aunt Dorothy considering the fact that the last time we spoke I called her a stupid cunt, hoping my company gives me a free turkey so I don't feel depressed like I did the previous year when they forgot mine, being forced to attend church with the family elders for the Christmas service, only to sit for hours listening to a very holy-sounding guy dressed like Emperor Ming on Flash Gordan babbling absolute nonsense. This all adds up[ to just a lot of stress and I couldn't wait for the holidays to end so I could get back to feeling normal again.

Anyway, not trying to sound like a Scrooge, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Gaybutton

Re: Merry Christmas - I Think?

Post by Gaybutton »

I've often been asked why I don't post a Christmas greeting or acknowledge other holidays.

The reason is I agree with every word of George Carlin's take on religion:

Jun

Post by Jun »

Delete
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:37 pmI agree with every word of George Carlin's take on religion
I'd agree with every word of his too. I would also add in a few more words about all the wars, disagreement, daft lifestyle restrictions & other offences originating from religion.

Now apologies for the slight xmas theme here, but the video has other qualities:

Click on "Video on Facebook" and the video comes up.

goldcoaster

Post by goldcoaster »

The religious right in Australia has hijacked both major political parties. The Liberals (right wing) served up Tony Abbott , a religious nut job as their leader, soon after we got Scott Morrison, a happy clapper who told us that he spoke to God (who wanted him to be Prime Minister).

Despite both electorates, of these two unflushable turds, voting to approve Gay Marriage in a divisive Plebiscite , they both scurried out of the chamber so they did not have to vote.

Labor Party (left wing) have since regained power in the federal sphere and we have rebalanced , without the need for a daily reference to religion.

Christmas is now a commercial opportunity to sell toys and other rubbish, to eat and drink to excess, to have family arguments over long held gripes , and max out the credit cards.

Bah Humbug,
Jun

Post by Jun »

goldcoaster wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:50 pmsoon after we got Scott Morrison, a happy clapper who told us that he spoke to God (who wanted him to be Prime Minister).
Thankfully UK prime ministers usually don't mention religion & the current one is Hindu. He takes a photo opportunity at some Diwali event & that's the limit of it.
On the other hand, your head of state is still head of the church here ;) .

goldcoaster wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:50 pmChristmas is now a commercial opportunity to sell toys and other rubbish, to eat and drink to excess, to have family arguments over long held gripes , and max out the credit cards.
Going to Thailand on holiday is a better solution.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

goldcoaster wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:50 pm to have family arguments over long held gripes
That reminds me of one that happened with my family. The whole family, aunts, uncles, cousins, were all gathered at my house for a holiday dinner. One of my uncles was not exactly known for being a spendthrift. He wasn't as bad as Scrooge, but he wasn't all that far from it.

Those were the days when the husbands were still in control of all the money. His wife was complaining about something she wanted to buy. I forgot what it was, but he wouldn't give her the money. I don't know why, but his response has stuck with me all these years:

"You've lived without it for 67 years. What the hell do you need with it now?"