Farang Fitness & Exercise

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Farang Fitness & Exercise

Post by Jun »

Dodger wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:58 am Ironically, most of the expats I know that are in LTR's have similar lifestyles where physical fitness/daily exercise, and healthy diet and healthy living habits seem to have taken center stage.
(quote from password thread)

This doesn't surprise me, although looking at the farang walking around Pattaya, perhaps these fitness fanatics are a minority ? ;)

As a tourist, I'm coming to the conclusion that a little more work on fitness is needed during my holidays.

Upon returning home, the bathroom scales indicates I'm about 1~1.5kg lighter, but the mirror indicates that the weight is moving to the wrong places :cry: .

At home, I do cycling, walking, weights & push ups.
In Thailand, I do walking and push ups. So I'm missing out on the more strenuous cycling. Also, walking hours are curtailed by late February & March, there's not much shade for walking during the day. If I try and walk up the beach road in the evening, there are too many fat & slow Asian tourists in the way. Some weights would be good too.

What's the normal expat exercise routine ? Do they join a gym, use condo block facilities or get equipment at home ?
I've noticed that gyms in Thailand cost more than the low cost gym chains in England.
From my very rare visits, I note some of the Thai gyms also have very low standards of maintenance that would simply not be accepted in the UK.
Dodger

Re: Farang Fitness & Exercise

Post by Dodger »

Jun asked:

"What's the normal expat exercise routine ?

As I've mentioned several times in the past we're all as different as the leaves on a tree.

I will say that I've seen two distinct categories I can place expats in as it relates to taking care of their health in general;

Category 1: Drinkers. Being those who seem to view alcohol as being a privilege of retirement who consume alcohol on a regular basis.

Category 2: Those who don't.

I was firmly planted in category 1 during my holiday years...have absolutely no regrets, but when it came time to retire my priorities changed - and changed dramatically. I knew I couldn't have my cake and eat it too. If I wanted to live a long quality life after retirement my health had to become priority #1. In order to accomplish this daily exercise, coupled with healthy eating habits and healthy life environment had to become part of my new lifestyle. I didn't at the time, and still don't believe there are any shortcuts.

My routine:

5:00 AM
Up and out at 5:00 AM before the sun rises. Ten laps (one hour/2.5 Km) brisk walk around our fitness park - followed by 30 minutes of alternating stretches - followed by 30 minutes of Tai Chi meditation which I do along our coastline.

7:00 AM
After a short stop at our local market I return home (Jai is just getting out of bed) where I alternate between spending 1 hour doing resistance training or working on my rowing machine. Note that both weight bench and rowing machine I have are the fold-up type and don't take up much space.

8:00 AM
Breakfast - alternating between mixed berries over muesli - oatmeal with whole grain bread - or eggs. A far cry from the belly-busting steak & egg with fried potatoe breakfasts I grew up with.

10:30 AM
Spend time with Jai doing odds & ends.
Depending on the depth and scope of odds & ends I either go swimming at 11:00 AM or 2:00 PM... ;)

My diet consists of high-protein/high nutrient food supplemented with whey protein isolate (64 grams/day), probiotic, fish oil, and a good multi-vitamin. I avoid fried food, but when I do fry I use only coconut and olive oils. Drinking green tea and incorporating Thai herbs in evening meals is also a regular staple.

You can see from this brief outline that it's more than just exercise...it's a lifestyle.

I'm not suggesting that others do as I do. As a matter of fact I'm not recommending anything to anybody. I simply chose this lifestyle for myself because I firmly believe it's adding years on my life and allowing me to enjoy each moment to the max.

As a side-note: I highly recommend expats consider the advantages of a rowing machine. It is truly the best full-body exercise you can do...great for seniors...works all muscle groups...firms the tummy and butt...boosts the immune system tremendously...and goes a long way to helping prevent heart and lung problems. Simply the best for seniors IMO. They sell the fold-up types suitable for a bedroom on Lazada. The wisest investment you'll ever make.

Cheers
Jun

Post by Jun »

Dodger wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:11 pmI highly recommend expats consider the advantages of a rowing machine. It is truly the best full-body exercise you can do...
Thank you. Perhaps I should consider that.

On my rare visits to gyms, I gravitate towards exercise bicycles.
Partly because cycling is what I do at home and partly because I'm unsure of the effect of exercise bicycles on my back. I suppose the latter is no issue, if I got the technique right and build up to it.
KeithAmbrose

Post by KeithAmbrose »

My physio recommends cycling, no strain on the back. However my personal trainer points out that at my age, 70, I need strength building exercises, to build up core strength.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:33 pm
.......Thank you. Perhaps I should consider that.
You may find the article below interesting:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/s ... e-31964670
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

KeithAmbrose wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:00 pm
My physio recommends cycling, no strain on the back. However my personal trainer points out that at my age, 70, I need strength building exercises, to build up core strength.
Sounds like good advice to me.

You may find the article below interesting:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/s ... e-31964670
KeithAmbrose

Post by KeithAmbrose »

Interesting, indeed!