"Big Day" for Songkran water splashing in Pattaya - Friday, April 19

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

"Big Day" for Songkran water splashing in Pattaya - Friday, April 19

Post by Gaybutton »

For many years Pattaya's "Big Day" for water splashing has been April 19 and it will be the same this year. On that day Pattaya Beach Road will be closed, but water splashing will take place all over town.

While some are hesitant about Songkran, for the first time, being celebrated for the entire month of April, you most likely will be safe from splashing until the "Big Day", but you might want to be cautious for 2 or 3 days before.

Every year Chonburi City's "Big Day" has been April 18 and Sattahip has been April 20. I have not heard whether that will be the same this year, but I think it will.

I really don't know about the goings on for Bangkok, but most of the activity will be on Khao San Road.

Pattaya Beach Road to Be Closed to All Vehicle Traffic During Wan Lai on April 19th

By Aim Tanakorn

3 April, 2024

Pattaya City has announced to close Beach Road from Central Pattaya to South Pattaya to all vehicle traffic during Wan Lai Day, also known as the Big Day on April 19th, 2024.

The road will be closed from 2:30 PM to 11:00 PM to allow tourists to play water along the beach. The closure was officially announced on Tuesday, April 2nd, by Pattaya Deputy Mayor Mr. Wuttisak Rueimkitkan.

Pattaya’s Wan Lai Day will feature a variety of activities, including religious ceremonies, cultural and music performances, and water splashing. Although activities and water fights will likely start in some tourist portions of Pattaya as early as April 12th, the 19th is the official annual celebration of Songkran, the Thai New Year, in Pattaya and sees hundreds of thousands of domestic and international tourists.

The festival will start in the morning and last until 11:00 PM.

https://thepattayanews.com/2024/04/03/p ... pril-19th/
2lz2p

Re: "Big Day" for Songkran water splashing in Pattaya - Friday, April 19

Post by 2lz2p »

From the Pattaya Mail article, which also includes Songkran events throughout Thailand (https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnew ... ril-456304 ):

CHON BURI
Wan Lai Bangsaen Festival
16-17 April 2024
Bangsaen Beach

Wan Lai Naklua Festival
18 April 2024
Lan Pho Naklua Park
Bang Lamung District

Wan Lai Pattaya Festival
19 April 2024
Wat Chai Mongkhon and Pattaya Beach
Pattaya City

Flow Day Water Fest
19-20 April 2024
Legend Siam Pattaya
Sattahip District

Songkran Si Racha Festival
19-29 April 2024
Ko Loi
Si Racha District

Wan Lai Bang Saray Festival
20 April 2024
Bang Saray Beach
Sattahip District

RAYONG
Wan Lai Pluak Daeng Festival
16-17 April 2024
Pluak Daeng Sub-district Municipal Office
Pluak Daeng District
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Wan Lai is usually the day when the major water splashing takes place.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:40 am Wan Lai is usually the day when the major water splashing takes place.
And they will never get me out of my bunker alive!! :D :D :D
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:02 amThe idiots are bewildered!
Is your super soaker all tuned up ready for the big day ? ;)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:02 am The idiots are bewildered!
I'm not surprised. For quite some time Thailand has been pushing a full month of Songkran celebrations. But to many tourists Songkran means water splashing and, like the Chinese guy in the article, that's the main reason they come. Apparently they forgot to inform these people that the water splashing is restricted to certain days.

I'm waiting for the usual heavily tattooed, drunken farang to show up and start splashing people whether they are supposed to or not.

What a reason to travel to Thailand - to splash people . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Today, April 13. is the actual Songkran holiday. The roads and all transportation options are as full as they can get with Thais trying to go home for the holiday.

Water splashing might take place today, but probably not very much, if any. I will not be doing my usual drive-through daily reports this year. I'm sorry, but the traffic, along with all the road construction - it's just too much, so I will not be leaving "The Dark Side".

Unfortunately, the so-called 7 Dangerous Days of road accidents has also begun. I report this every year and every year a few posts appear telling us the number of deaths and accidents are not much different from any day throughout the year. I'll take the posters' words for it. I'm not going to spend time trying to look it up.

Thailand Reports 25 Deaths on Day 1 of the ‘Songkran Seven Days Road Safety Campaign’

By Goongnang Suksawat

13 April, 2024

A total of 234 road accidents, with 248 injuries and 25 deaths, were reported on Friday (April 12th) by the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) on the first day (April 11th) of the ‘Seven Days Road Safety Campaign’ during Songkran (April 11th – April 17th) 2024.

Most were caused by excessive speeding (44 percent). About 86 percent of the accidents involved motorcycles. Most road accidents occurred on highways (47 percent) between 4:01 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.

Provinces with the highest fatalities were Bangkok with 3 deaths. The highest number of accidents and injuries were in Songkhla, in the south of Thailand, with 11 road accidents and 13 injuries.

https://tpnnational.com/2024/04/13/thai ... -campaign/
Jun

Post by Jun »

Isn't 25 deaths better than an average day ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Songkran travel kills 63, injures 550 in 2 days

April 13, 2024

The number of road accident fatalities during the first two days of Songkran travel rose to 63 with 550 injuries, according to the government’s Road Safety Centre.

Justice Minister Tawee Sodsong said on Saturday that road accident statistics collected by the centre showed 307 road accidents nationwide on Friday, the second day of the road safety campaign. Among these accidents, there were 38 deaths and 299 injuries.

Speeding was the main cause of accidents (41.37%), followed by drink-driving (21.17%) and cutting in front of other vehicles (20.20%).

Most of the accidents involved motorcycles (84.91%). Of these accidents, 86.32% occurred on straight roads, 40.07% on Highway Department roads and 25.73% on roads within tambon administration organisations and villages.

Most injured and dead victims were aged between 20 and 29, said the justice minister.

There were 1,762 main safety checkpoints manned by 51,496 officers throughout Thailand.

On Friday alone, Phayao province reported the most accidents at 15. Prachuap Khiri Khan and Phaya saw the most injuries, with 14 each. The provinces with the highest number of road fatalities were Nakhon Ratchasima, Roi Et and Chiang Rai, each reporting three deaths.

The accumulated figures for Thursday and Friday were 541 road accidents, resulting in 550 injuries and 63 deaths.

Forty-two provinces reported zero deaths from the road accidents.

The provinces with the most accumulated accidents were Chiang Rai and Prachuap Khiri Khan (21 each). Nakhon Si Thammarat and Songkhla reported the most accumulated injuries (22 each). Roi Et had the highest accumulated deaths (5).

The Royal Thai Police (RTP) had set a target of reducing road accidents by 5% during the seven dangerous days this year.

Prommin Kantiya, director of the Thai Health Promotion Foundation's Accident Prevention Network, said some people have extended their holiday by taking leave until April 21, leading to an increased period of heavy road use in the country.

During the Songkran festival from April 11-17 last year, there were 2,203 road accidents, causing 264 deaths and 2,208 injuries, according to official figures.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -in-2-days