Air Quality & Your Health

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Air Quality & Your Health

Post by Dodger »

Most of us know this already, but in case there’s someone out there who doesn’t you should know that being exposed to air pollution over a long period of time can cause a long list of life-threatening lung conditions including asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and has also been linked to lung cancer. It’s a good idea to monitor the AQI where you reside to keep a handle on this.

A bit about AQI:

Think of the AQI (Air Quality Index) as a yardstick that runs from 0 to 500. The higher the AQI value, the greater the level of air pollution and the greater the health concern. For example, an AQI value of 50 or below represents good air quality, while an AQI value over 300 represents hazardous air quality.

AQI values at or below 100 are generally thought of as satisfactory. When AQI values are above 100, air quality is unhealthy: at first for certain sensitive groups of people, then for everyone as AQI values get higher. Just as an example these are the AQI values for a few places today: Pattaya = 42, Phuket = 66, Buriram = 60, Bangkok = 61 (personally I have a hard time believing this) and Chiange Mai = 195.

From what I understand international travel insurance carriers have canceled coverage for tourists visiting those places having AQI values >100 such as Chiange Mai. There may have also been international travel advisories issued to the same effect…not sure.

The experts recommend keeping doors and windows shut and use a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) purifier. “Undaunted” purchased one of these years ago and recommended we do the same. I didn’t listen then but I’m buying one now. The AQI is OK where I reside, but coupled with this extreme heat we're experiencing I think some sort of preventive steps should be taken.

On a personal note: I wouldn't travel anywhere up in the northern regions at all until the AQI levels come back down to normal. And, because of the heat wave we're experiencing now, I'll be spending less time outdoors in general. I can think of plenty of fun things to do indoors until it cools down a bit... ;)
Jun

Re: Air Quality & Your Health

Post by Jun »

Here is a source for AQI figures:
https://www.iqair.com/gb/air-quality-ma ... oomLevel=6
1 They quote AQI, whereas the newspapers are quoting PM2.5 figures. Although if you look into each site reading, you can see PM2.5 data.
2 They sell equipment to users who may join the site and share data from the equipment. So theoretically, it's possible that some locations could show readings from filtered rooms, although I suspect not in most cases.
3 Pattaya seems relatively good now. Possibly helped by a southerly wind, if the data on the AQI site is correct.
Gaybutton wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:24 amWhere did you buy it? I have no idea where to get them or even what they look like.
I got my filter sheet from Home Pro on Pattaya Klang. 3M did some Filtrete, which was thin, but effective and covered the whole aircon filter mesh. They did some other 3M branded filters which were thicker and did not cover the whole aircon filter mesh, but still helped. I taped it to the filter mesh.
There were some larger rolls which would probably be the way to go for residents.

I suspect Lazada have the stuff, if not sold out due to the news. Thais really like to "fix the roof when it's raining".

As I said earlier, these would typically reduce PM2.5 concentration by 75%. That's measured with my Mi PM2.5 meter, which easily fits in a pocket.

The large freestanding filters are everywhere, but as a tourist, I'm not getting one. I suspect this is a market where checking the cost of the replacement filter elements is more important than the cost of the unit.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Lazada shows plenty of 3M aircon filters available.

Great idea!

As Jun stated these can reduce PM 2.5 by approx. 80% (similar to the masks) which will work fine..

I'll order some as soon as I return home from Buriram.

Thanks Jun
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:23 pm 3M did some Filtrete, which was thin, but effective and covered the whole aircon filter mesh.
The problem, as I see it, is while these filters are fine for air conditioners, what about the rest of the air in the room? The air from air conditioners obviously isn't the only air.

While I'm sure the filters work beautifully, on the whole are they really significantly effective enough to make it worth the trouble? I suppose it's better than nothing, but how much better?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:45 pm The problem, as I see it, is while these filters are fine for air conditioners, what about the rest of the air in the room? The air from air conditioners obviously isn't the only air.

While I'm sure the filters work beautifully, on the whole are they really significantly effective enough to make it worth the trouble? I suppose it's better than nothing, but how much better?
I've already posted numbers ! What more do you want ?

As I stated, in my case, the PM2.5 concentration was typically reduced by 75%. As measured.
If I had sourced a larger filter element which covered the entire aircon inlet in the lounge, it would probably have been better than 75%.

Even as it was, this resulted in PM2.5 levels in my room being well below the WHO safe limit, whilst being well above the limit outside.

If you keep the aircon fan on, all of your air goes through the filter eventually. Obviously you need to keep the windows closed most of the day.
It takes a little while to work.
To avoid waste, I would typically leave the aircon on the fan setting whilst out during the day & only switch to aircon on when returning to my room

Richard Barrow also published a very good article on his own tests with filters.

In my opinion, it's a relatively small expense to help your health. Particularly for anyone who can afford a fancy 4K TV ;) .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:58 pm What more do you want ?
Very simple. I want to keep well away from the areas where a mask or filter would be necessary.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

an important "air quality" consideration these days not included in AQI/PM2.5 discussions is CO2 levels which are increasingly considered an important indicator of air circulation and air freshness in enclosed spaces like malls, offices. schools, restaurants, etc, particularly important in the spread of diseases like COVID
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 pmVery simple. I want to keep well away from the areas where a mask or filter would be necessary.
How are you doing that, when Pattaya regularly exceeds WHO PM2.5 limits ?
Or how do you define necessary ? I suppose protection against an excessive concentration pollutants which increase your risk of cancer isn't strictly necessary, but we could make an argument for it. Particularly when it's easy within the home.

Pollution is not just a Chiang Mai problem. The outdoor PM2.5 readings I got in Pattaya were typically about double the WHO safe level last month.
The indoor readings were exactly the same as the outdoor readings, until I invested about 250 baht in some filter material.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:55 pm How are you doing that
I'm not. You asked what more I want. Staying away from it is what I want. Trouble is - I don't always get what I want.

I am well aware of Pattaya's air pollution, but at least it's a tad less than Chiang Mai. Am I going to wear a mask in Pattaya or buy air purifiers and filters? Probably not unless it gets much worse.

Chiang Mai again world's most polluted city

State employees told to work from home; concerns rise ahead of Songkran

April 9, 2024

Chiang Mai led other cities as the most polluted place in the world on Tuesday morning, as thick smog continued to plague the northern region.

Chiang Mai municipality regained its spot as the most polluted city at 9.20am, with fine dust levels recorded at 203 microgrammes per cubic metre, according to IQAir rankings. The weather monitoring website labelled the city "very unhealthy", and it could continue into Wednesday and beyond.

Thailand will celebrate the Songkran water festival from Thursday until next Monday, and Chiang Mai city is normally one of the most popular destinations for holidaymakers.

Chiang Mai governor Nirat Pongsitthithavorn on Monday declared disaster zones in seven districts but not in Muang district, which is one of the most polluted areas in the province. The declaration facilitates the provision of budget-tied emergency assistance to Fang, Phrao, Chiang Dao, Mae Taeng, Chaiprakarn, Mae Ai and Wieng Haeng districts.

The governor ordered state officials to work from home until Thursday, because of the air pollution, and advised residents and visitors to abstain from outdoor activities if possible, and wear a mask if they leave home.

At Monday's press conference, Mr Nirat was asked why he deliberately played down the pollution levels in Chiang Mai and the number of patients with respiratory problems. He strongly denied this. Officials "have given the press all information and you can freely write about it", he said.

Pita Limjaroenrat, chief adviser of the Move Forward Party, on Monday also said the governor and provincial officials were being selective in their decisions. "Other districts with serious pollution are not on the list," he posted on the X platform.

The northern provinces of Lamphun, Lampang, Phayao, Nan, Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Song were also on the list of areas with high PM2.5 dust levels on Tuesday, but their situation was not as dire as Chiang Mai's, according to the Pollution Control Department.

With concern about high air pollution levels growing ahead of Songkran, weather forecasters on Tuesday issued an alert, warning of possible summer storms in the northern, northeastern and central regions until Thursday. Chiang Mai could expect scattered storms on Wednesday and Thursday, the Meteorological Department said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... al/2773593
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I for one don't trust all of the numbers being reported related to the pollution problem in Thailand this year, thus the reason for me even posting this topic.

If, for whatever reason, the numbers (AQI/PM.2) are not always accurate, with some numbers in the popular tourist destinations being much lower than one would expect just using common sense, this raises a red flag with me and tells me that I can't rely on this information to keep myself safe - I have to do it myself.

As an example: How can Bangkok, one of the most polluted and over-crowded cities in the Kingdom be reporting an AQI level of 61 which is nearly the same as little-old Bang Saray sitting on the eastern seaboard with its prevailing winds...a microscopic population as compared to Bangkok...and with fewer motor vehicles in operation than on any one square km in Bangkok? It just doesn't add up. And Pattaya reported as registering an AQI of 42 is another head-scratch... :?

Just looking at the local press releases you can see that hospitals are reporting a significant increase in patients with upper respiratory problems. Go figure! Not just up in Chiang Mai, but all over the Kingdom.

I'm not one for overreacting and never freak out over things like this - but always like to be prepared none-the-less.

Here's a few very simple things I'm going to do until the pollution levels drop:

- wear a PM.2 face mask in heavily populated or polluted areas.
- Install 3M aircon PM.2 filters at home (thanks to Jun's suggestion)
- Limit my time outdoors temporarily.
- continue to monitor the situation - putting more trust in the hospital reports than the local AQI data.

Here's just one of many recent hospital articles:

https://thainews.prd.go.th/nbtworld/new ... 524/?bid=1