Air Quality & Your Health

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Air Quality & Your Health

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:17 am I for one don't trust all of the numbers being reported related to the pollution problem in Thailand
"I have certain rules I live by. Rule 1: Trust nothing the government tells you. Nothing. Nada. Never."
- George Carlin
Jun

Post by Jun »

Dodger wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:17 am I for one don't trust all of the numbers being reported related to the pollution problem in Thailand this year, thus the reason for me even posting this topic.
The AQI numbers on the site linked to earlier are independent of the government.

You can buy a Mi PM2.5 meter for about 600 baht.

There are also free standing air purifiers. https://www.richardbarrow.com/2018/03/u ... gkok-smog/
These are on sale in the obvious places in Pattaya.

There's no way I'd buy one in the UK, but nevertheless, I have one, as it was left behind by a tenant. On the rare occasions when I need it, such as when the neighbours attempted to burn their pampas grass plant, it was very effective at reducing PM2.5 readings in the room.
If I ever move to Thailand, I'll get one immediately. As a tourist, I merely fit filters to the aircon, if staying in a location for a few weeks.

Anyone who genuinely wants clean air has easy options to do something about it.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Elsewhere on the internet, where the same topic is under discussion, someone has criticized "worrying" about air quality.

Worrying about it is the last thing to do. Either improve your air quality or accept it. For PM2.5, improving indoor air quality is easy. For outdoors, there is the option of a mask.
I don't wear a mask, although I've decided to ensure there is always one in my bag in Thailand, after the last trip up Sukhumvit in a Songthaew.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I just had my 2 air-conditioners serviced today and also had the service man install 3M air purifiers that I recently purchased from HomePro as Jun had suggested.

I paid 720 baht for a roll pf 3M filters large enough to provide a years worth of filters. Note that 3M recommends replacing filters every 1-3 months.

If what they're saying is correct this should improve the air quality in my condo by approx. 96% including bacteria, viruses, and allergens down to PM2.5.

I'm breathing easier already.

Now if I can just find a way to stop Jai from burning those fucking peppers in the kitchen.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Dodger wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:47 am Now if I can just find a way to stop Jai from burning those fucking peppers in the kitchen.
Invest 600 baht in one of those pocket Mi PM2.5 meters, then you can show him the result. This can also measure the effectiveness of your filtration.

In the UK, when I cooked food, the PM2.5 reading went up from 4 to 13. When someone else cooked, or rather burnt his food in his usual way, the reading went up to 110.