thai food

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Re: thai food

Post by Gaybutton »

If you like Thai seafood, if you make your way to the south end of Jomtien Beach you'll find a number of waterfront seafood restaurants, many of which set up for dinner with tables that offer a spectacular view of Pattaya. The food is very good and much less expensive than the Walking Street seafood restaurants. Whenever I want seafood, I always head for one of those restaurants.
redtimber

Post by redtimber »

I confess Thai food confuses me and am ashamed to say I eat very little of it when I'm blessed enough to be there.

When I sit down at a restaurant I turn to the Thai menu first and look at the dishes in that but with all the ingredients and names I do not know I get scared and can never work out if it will be to my taste so I end up turning to the American food and ordering a big pasta or a nice steak instead. Sigh.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

redtimber wrote:I confess Thai food confuses me and am ashamed to say I eat very little of it when I'm blessed enough to be there.

When I sit down at a restaurant I turn to the Thai menu first and look at the dishes in that but with all the ingredients and names I do not know I get scared and can never work out if it will be to my taste so I end up turning to the American food and ordering a big pasta or a nice steak instead. Sigh.
Exactly! This is precisely what I am talking about. Redtimber, thank you for your post. I am afraid I won't like what they put in front of me. Perhaps a buffet where you could try different things and decide what you like? If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it and then just go get something else. A smorgasbord of Thai entrees?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thaiworthy wrote:I am afraid I won't like what they put in front of me.
Suppose you don't? Thai food is not usually expensive. If you don't like it, try something else. I would not advise going to a Thai buffet. I would advise going to a shopping center food court. There you can see everything, see pictures of everything, see signs in both English and Thai, and usually manage to come up with at least something you'll know you like. You can also try some things you've never heard of. It's usually not too difficult to figure out what different things are.

In most of the food courts you don't pay cash. You buy coupons at the entrance. That's how you pay, with the coupons. Get about 100 baht worth of coupons per person. What you don't use can be cashed in at the same booth where you bought them from when you leave.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Ahhh . . . what a great idea! I know about the coupon places. A food court in a shopping mall it is! This is a perfect. Thank you, GB. :D
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I think, if you asked at a food court, they would even give you a sample taste of a dish that looks good to you. Depending on your tolerance for spicy food you might what to ask if it is spicy, but "not spicy" to Thais is not the same as not spicy to westerners. Be adventuresome! As GB said, Thai food is not expensive and if you don't like what you buy, try something else.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I seldom if ever eat Thai food except in Chiang Mai....Where the food has no Essan influence.....You can actually taste the food and not the chillies.
RichardStreetLife

Post by RichardStreetLife »

Rogie wrote:Seconds away,

Bagels at dawn

street food versus Street Life

except!

Street Life is not Thai nosh so any other recommendations?

Rogie, When we start the hot food in the next couple of days, we will have Thai Food as well. :D
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

Ah, good man, you've thought of everything!
PattayaBob

Post by PattayaBob »

I found the best Thai food in Pattaya to be at Rins Kitchen, Thappraya Road Soi 9....going towards Jomtien take a left at 7/11Soi 9 go down about 100 yards on the right. inside and outside dining. Great selection, mid price range...I really enjoy it.