Cooking Oil Shortage

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Cooking Oil Shortage

Post by Gaybutton »

Would you believe Thailand is currently experiencing a cooking oil shortage crisis? And I do mean crisis. Anyone who has been to a grocery store lately might have noticed the cooking oil section is empty. You can still get olive oil, corn oil, and several other exotic oils if you want to pay the price. It's a crisis because so many Thai foods are stir-fried, which means a lot of restaurant menu items, both Thai and farang, are going to be unavailable and the small shops and food vendors are going to run out of oil if they haven't already. At the moment, Corner Bar can't even make those fabulous onion rings! Corner Bar told me he's been all over town trying to find cooking oil and there just isn't any. Nobody seems to have any idea how long this is going to last.

But now there is a ray of hope . . .
_____

More Cooking Palm Oil Hits Markets

By Petchanet Pratruangkrai
The Nation
Published on February 3, 2011

About 23 million litres of cooking palm oil has been gradually released since yesterday to the market mainly to modern traders to ease serious shortage. However, consumers still have to limit their purchasing and wait for another 120,000 tonnes of crude oil import.

The survey by the Commerce Ministry yesterday found that more cooking palm oil under 10 different brands are available at five modern traders, which have 60 per cent allocation from 30,000 tonnes of crude palm oil.

About 13.75 million litres of cooking palm oil have been distributed via modern traders, one million litres to fresh market, 2.25 million litres to food retailers and local traders in each province, and 6 million litres to small retailers.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/02 ... 47800.html
thaiworthy

Re: Cooking Oil Shortage

Post by thaiworthy »

And look how much more expensive the imported stuff is compared to domestic.
lvdkeyes

Re: Cooking Oil Shortage

Post by lvdkeyes »

I only use domestic oil, except for olive oil.