Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
thaiworthy

Beef & Broccoli

Post by thaiworthy »

Preparation time: About 20 minutes
Marinating time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: About 15 minutes

Ginger and ground red pepper heat up the hearty sauce that coats beef strips and tender broccoli. Make the cooking sauce while the beef marinates.

3/4 lb. broccoli
1 pound lean boneless beef steak (such as top round, flank, or sirloin)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
Cooking Sauce (recipe follows)
1/4 cup salad oil
2 tablespoons water

Cut off and discard tough ends of broccoli stalks; peel stalks, if desired. Cut tops into small flowerets; slice stalks 1/4 inch thick. Set aside.

Cut beef with the grain into 1 1/2-inch-wide strips, then cut each strip across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slanting slices. In a bowl, mix beef, soy and garlic. Let marinate for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare Cooking Sauce and set aside.

Place a wok over high heat; when wok is hot, add 1 tablespoon of the oil. When oil is hot, add half the meat mixture and stir-fry until meat is browned (2 to 3 minutes); remove from wok and set aside. Repeat to brown remaining meat, using 1 tablespoon more oil.

Pour remaining 2 tablespoons oil into wok. When oil is hot, add broccoli and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Add water, cover and cook, stirring frequently, until broccoli is tender crisp to bite (about 3 more minutes). Stir Cooking Sauce, then add to wok along with meat; stir until sauce boils and thickens. Makes 3 or 4 servings.

Cooking Sauce. Stir together 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, a dash of ground red pepper (cayenne), 2 tablespoons dry sherry, and 1 1/4 cups regular-strength beef broth.

Per serving: 318 calories, 29 g. protein, 8 g carbohydrates, 19 g total fat, 65 mg cholesterol, 879 mg sodium.

-----------------

When I make this recipe I use vegetable oil. I don't know if this is the same as salad oil, I guess it is. I also use fresh ginger and grate it. I like ginger, so I use more than the recipe calls for. I omit the cayenne pepper because I do not like it so hot.

You can serve this over rice, but haven't been doing that lately because rice has a lot of carbs in it. I make this recipe a lot and I like this dish very much. To me, this tastes so much better than any beef and broccoli I have ever tried in many a restaurant. Highly recommended you try this.