How to get cheap flights?

christianpfc

Re: How to get cheap flights?

Post by christianpfc »

Now I'm back, I spent the 14 hours in Abu Dhabi airport (from noon to 2am) reading and surfing internet. They have free internet (I don't mean wifi which is useless to me as I don't take a laptop on holiday, real computers! However only standing and a keyboard made of metal where I can't touch type.) So I could catch up on reading gay blogs and forums I had no time to do during my holiday (none of them was blocked). For the last flight (Abu Dhabi to Paris) I got a free upgrade to first class (I only noticed in the plane when I checked the seat number), which was very nice. Thank you, Etihad!

Only days left and the search for flights for my December holiday will start, a complex attempt to optimize dates, times, stopovers and price.
Jun

Post by Jun »

If you take the price of the cheapest direct flight, subtract the price paid to fly through Abu Dhabi and then divide by the number of hours spent in Abu Dhabi, what's the amount saved per extra hour?
I've never seen savings sufficient to justify the 14 hours of misery, or certainly not sufficient for a working professional.
Were I already retired, with lots of free time and if I also had a barely adequate pension, of course the indirect flight might be more attractive.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

I saved about 140EUR (~6000THB) compared to the next more expensive flight (which was 960EUR and had just 2h stopover for the flight). This is the border where it becomes inefficient (i.e. I probably will not do it again). But people have different priorities, and money is one of mine.