Photo display question

bao-bao

Photo display question

Post by bao-bao »

When I'm looking at photos on the forum here they sometimes seem to be "cropped" by the phpBB software that the forum us based on (as are most others I've visited).

For example, on a recent thread about a river taxi trip ( http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3058 ) I saw the images as squares, such as this one...

and I suspected I wasn't seeing the entire image, that in the case of the above image would have looked like this:

I'm using Google Chrome and the "prosilver" layout. Is anyone else experiencing this display oddity?

Thanks
Gaybutton

Re: Photo display question

Post by Gaybutton »

Unless you are experiencing the same thing on other phpBB boards, then the problem isn't the board. It's probably some sort of setting you have in your browser. Check your settings. If you can't find anything that fixes the problem, then try another browser and see if the same thing happens. If you don't have the problem with another browser, then it was either a setting you missed in your Chrome browser or the browser itself. If you do have the same problem with other browsers, then the problem is likely to be a setting in your computer.

I can't imagine it's the board software. I don't have this problem and I will be surprised if anyone else does. If it turns out to be some sort of glitch in the board software, I have no idea how to fix it.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Upon further research it appears that it may have had to do with the screen resolution I'm using (1024 x 768). If I'm viewing the thread and press the Ctrl and the " -" keys a few times, more of the image fits on the screen and the full photos are visible. However, the font for the posts becomes rather small.

Anyway, I guess it was a resolution setting here, and as Emily Litella would have said...

...nevermind!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Then something is still wrong. The photos and font sizes should appear normally without you having to do anything. Why won't you try other browsers? What's so special about Chrome? Based on your posts, it looks to me like the problem is Chrome.

If it helps anything, my monitor is one of those newer rectangular shaped flat screens and my screen resolution is set to 1920x1080. But the screen resolution shouldn't have anything to do with the reason for your problem.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Gaybutton wrote:... the screen resolution shouldn't have anything to do with the reason for your problem.
Agreed, it shouldn't - but the screen image overall did, as the shrinking the view with "Crtl" + "-" thing made the images show horizontally in full.

As for browsers: the issue was the same using Internet Explorer, and while I used to use Firefox before reinvesting my SGT time elsewhere (SGT's Elephantspike used to favor that browser - may still) I didn't download it again to try it in this case. Your wider monitor may have made a difference, I couldn't say; nothing that new in my abode! ;-)

Anyway, just a question and nobody else has responded to it, so it can just lie fallow here. Thanks for the suggestions, though.