Chippy review

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Captain Kirk

Re: Chippy review

Post by Captain Kirk »

lvdkeyes wrote:My bf and I tried Goose's. Parking is a problem, portions are small and not as good as Simon's. We both agreed.
Well I cant make that unanimous. Went to Goose's tonight. My opinion, fish was good - smaller than at Simons but not what I'd call a "small" portion. Chips were a bit greasier than I'd like but enjoyed the interior. Cool, fresh, bright and clean. Next time I go back I'll take a deep breath and try the haddock (almost 500B :o ).
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

lexusgs wrote:Jolly Friar/Fryer,

Good value at 99 bht. Near to what was Cartier in Soi Lengkee
Jolly Friar also has a new location in Jomtien. If traveling from Dongtan Police station in the direction of Jomtien Complex, go past Bamboo Bar and at the next Soi on the left (leads to soi behind the row of shop houses) you can't miss it as it has a large blue sign with white letters clearly visible from Thappraya Road.

I went to their web site, but it does not yet show they have the Jomtien location. The telephone number is for their Soi Lengkee location and notes they deliver within 2km of that location.

From their posted menu - http://www.jollyfriarpattaya.com/ - Prices vary from 60 Baht (small Pacific Dory) to 220 Baht (Halibut) in beer batter (6 choices of fish) or from 60 Baht (small Pacific Dory) to 220 Baht (Parrot Fish) in breadcrumbs (4 choices of fish).

Chips are extra and range from 40 Baht for small, 50 Baht for medium, and 60 Baht for large. There are also a large selection of side dishes and meat pies around 90-95 Baht. They also have 3 choices of grilled fish.

Since I live in the Jomtien area, I thought I would try some take out. I looked over the menu and selected the Atlantic Cod in beer batter (140 Baht) and the large order of Chunky Chips (60 Baht) - wrote out my selection and the bf went there and brought it back to me. I thought the Atlantic Cod was very good and it was a fairly large portion. The Chips were chunky and slightly greasy, but not enough to put me off. But next time, I will go with the small order or medium order as the large order is just that, large.

Also, next time, I will visit or order take out again - I will see if they deliver and get a telephone number for that location.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

2lz2p wrote:
lexusgs wrote:Jolly Friar/Fryer,

Good value at 99 bht. Near to what was Cartier in Soi Lengkee
Jolly Friar also has a new location in Jomtien. If traveling from Dongtan Police station in the direction of Jomtien Complex, go past Bamboo Bar and at the next Soi on the left (leads to soi behind the row of shop houses) you can't miss it as it has a large blue sign with white letters clearly visible from Thappraya Road.

I went to their web site, but it does not yet show they have the Jomtien location. The telephone number is for their Soi Lengkee location and notes they deliver within 2km of that location.

From their posted menu - http://www.jollyfriarpattaya.com/ - Prices vary from 60 Baht (small Pacific Dory) to 220 Baht (Halibut) in beer batter (6 choices of fish) or from 60 Baht (small Pacific Dory) to 220 Baht (Parrot Fish) in breadcrumbs (4 choices of fish).

Chips are extra and range from 40 Baht for small, 50 Baht for medium, and 60 Baht for large. There are also a large selection of side dishes and meat pies around 90-95 Baht. They also have 3 choices of grilled fish.

Since I live in the Jomtien area, I thought I would try some take out. I looked over the menu and selected the Atlantic Cod in beer batter (140 Baht) and the large order of Chunky Chips (60 Baht) - wrote out my selection and the bf went there and brought it back to me. I thought the Atlantic Cod was very good and it was a fairly large portion. The Chips were chunky and slightly greasy, but not enough to put me off. But next time, I will go with the small order or medium order as the large order is just that, large.

Also, next time, I will visit or order take out again - I will see if they deliver and get a telephone number for that location.
I've had four goes there already.
The fish is quite reasonable but I prefer the breadcrumbs. Steak Pie is also quite edible (given up looking for "really good" chippies).
Although it's probably seen more as a kids meal I enjoyed the Fish Fingers most.
Just a word on the chips. The "chips" are not too great. 'Inconsistent' is around the mark. I just about favour the French Fries though again not amazing or anything. Portion wise, unless you are in need of dietary advice I'd say just go with the small portion. I wolf down chips myself but not the amount they stuff on the plate (and that's a medium portion I had). Small is plenty.