New Indonesian Restaurant now Open

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
dorayme

Re: New Indonesian Restaurant now Open

Post by dorayme »

A farang friend and I ate at the Bali Breeze two nights ago. We ordered the 15 selection rice table at 500 Baht each. We ordered mild but 90% of the food was spicy and think it had been cooked the day before. I ordered white wine and was served red. A 10% surcharge was added to the entire bill to "cover increased costs". Desert (for me one small scoop of ice cream) took about 30 minutes to reach the table. I would not go back or recommend the restaurant.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

dorayme wrote:A 10% surcharge was added to the entire bill to "cover increased costs".
That sounds like pure bullshit to me. I haven't been to any restaurants that say they're having problems about "increased costs" and nobody I know has said anything about other restaurants trying to pull that kind of stunt. I don't know of any Pattaya restaurants having problems with shortages or cost increases. If they're doing something like that, I won't go either.

Did you know about the 10% charge when you ordered or did they surprise you with it when they brought your bill?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

This hardly sounds like the restaurant where I have eaten a few times.
dorayme

Post by dorayme »

I did not know but the waiter had told my dining companion.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

dorayme wrote:I did not know but the waiter had told my dining companion.
If it wasn't in writing and the waiter did not tell you personally at the time you ordered or before, if it were me I would have refused to pay it. If they are really dealing with increased costs, then they need to alter their written menu prices, prominently place a written notice, or make sure the waiter tells everyone at the table - preferably all of those. But if after I've ordered and eaten, that's when they decide to let me know they're adding 10% to my bill, there's no way I'd ever pay it.
patexpat

Post by patexpat »

dorayme wrote:A farang friend and I ate at the Bali Breeze two nights ago. We ordered the 15 selection rice table at 500 Baht each. We ordered mild but 90% of the food was spicy and think it had been cooked the day before. I ordered white wine and was served red. A 10% surcharge was added to the entire bill to "cover increased costs". Desert (for me one small scoop of ice cream) took about 30 minutes to reach the table. I would not go back or recommend the restaurant.
As my company provided the POS system for this restaurant, as far as I know we have not been asked to add a '10% surcharge' function .... so I treat this post with some suspicion.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

patexpat wrote:I treat this post with some suspicion.
I guess we won't know for sure until a second board member eats there and either verifies or denies this is going on. If it is going on, it's the only restaurant I've heard of doing something like that. If not, maybe it was a clever waiter conning customers and pocketing that 10% himself.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

The last time we ate there the owner (a very friendly Dutchman) came to our table twice to be sure everything was up to our expectation. He hardly seemed like a guy who would perpetrate this kind of behavior or allow his staff to get away with it. I, also, find this post suspicious.
dorayme

Post by dorayme »

This was neither a POS function nor a clever waiter. The 10% charge was added as a line item on the bill. Adding 10% TO A 700 Baht bill really isn't a big deal and shouldn't be belabored. Most probably wouldn't notice the extra line on the printed bill. I posted my experience with the restaurant. I wouldn't go back because I didn't like the food.
patexpat

Post by patexpat »

dorayme wrote:This was neither a POS function nor a clever waiter. The 10% charge was added as a line item on the bill. Adding 10% TO A 700 Baht bill really isn't a big deal and shouldn't be belabored. Most probably wouldn't notice the extra line on the printed bill. I posted my experience with the restaurant. I wouldn't go back because I didn't like the food.
Just for completeness, it IS a POS function as the ability to add 10% and then print on the bill would need adding in to the existing POS configuration by someone.