Pig and Whistle Jomtien

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lexusgs

Pig and Whistle Jomtien

Post by lexusgs »

Ate here yesterday. This place is situated on the outside of Jomtien Complex on Thapprya Road right opposite Tops daily supermarket. Brand new and nicely furnished. For those guys from the UK that follow snooker it also has a large Jimmy White sports lounge upstairs with some great tables. Great British menu here along with daily specials. We had a very tasty Irish Stew that was perfectly cooked. Came with Garlic Bread for 210 bht. A fantastic range of quality local and imported beers including draught cider(my fav). Great service, air con and comfortable surroundings. Was full of st8 guys but found the manager very welcoming to me and my bf...highly recommended

http://pattayatoday.net/news/news-from- ... n-jomtien/
Captain Kirk

Re: Pig and Whistle Jomtien

Post by Captain Kirk »

Two comments on the P&W.
1.Tried it three times. Ambiance is very good, felt very comfortable. Service was quick. Food: Steak & Kidney Pie, absolutely appalling, I mean like utterly dreadful. Fish, average. Braised Steak, average.
2. Not sure what this was about to be honest. They have three large tv screens. On one occasion when I was there, at 6pm the screens went blank and then they played 'Jerusalem' with the words coming up on the screens. Some of the customers stood to sing and the staff went to other tables requesting they stand up also. Maybe some enlightened person can tell me what that was about, a one off or regular thing, or what? I certainly didn't get it.

On either point, it's not for me.
patexpat

Post by patexpat »

Captain Kirk wrote:Maybe some enlightened person can tell me what that was about
Playing what is widely considered an alternative to the UK national anthem at the time (6pm) when the Thai national anthem should be played smacks of bad taste to me ... and I'm a Brit....
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

patexpat wrote:
Captain Kirk wrote:Maybe some enlightened person can tell me what that was about
Playing what is widely considered an alternative to the UK national anthem at the time (6pm) when the Thai national anthem should be played smacks of bad taste to me ... and I'm a Brit....
If that was what they were doing, and I had known that at the time, I'd have given them a quite impolite opinion there and then. I was rather hoping there was a reason for playing it. I know the rugby crowd are into singing it so I considered that may be the basis for it, being that the World Cup Rugby is on but by then England were already back home (tries not to snigger ;) ) so I can't see why it should be that. It's possible it was commemorating something.
lexusgs

Post by lexusgs »

Captain Kirk wrote:Two comments on the P&W.
1.Tried it three times. Ambiance is very good, felt very comfortable. Service was quick. Food: Steak & Kidney Pie, absolutely appalling, I mean like utterly dreadful. Fish, average. Braised Steak, average.
2. Not sure what this was about to be honest. They have three large tv screens. On one occasion when I was there, at 6pm the screens went blank and then they played 'Jerusalem' with the words coming up on the screens. Some of the customers stood to sing and the staff went to other tables requesting they stand up also. Maybe some enlightened person can tell me what that was about, a one off or regular thing, or what? I certainly didn't get it.

On either point, it's not for me.
I would stayed seated unless they were playing the Thai anthem. Guess the management a slightly brainless on that one.
dbrinny

Post by dbrinny »

In response to Captain Kirk's post I am happy to clear up the mystery . At the time of your visit there were a group of people in the bar who had just returned from the funeral of the bar's owner, Mr. Bob Adams . His friends and fellow expats had arranged to sing ' Jerusalem ' as their tribute to a much - loved and respected man who had passed away a long way from home .
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

In the spirit of "When in Rome..." it probably would have been a better idea to hold the memorial sing until a quarter past the hour or something along those lines, but the remembrance was a nice touch, IMHO.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Can anyone explain the name? Pig and Whistle. If the name has some sort of significance, I'd like to know what it is.

The same goes for Cabbages and Condoms. I understand the condoms part. Anyone who has ever eaten there would see the significance. But where does the "cabbages" part come in?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Many UK pubs have odd names. I recall one called The Still and Sugar Loaf. WTF?
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote:Can anyone explain the name? Pig and Whistle. If the name has some sort of significance, I'd like to know what it is.

The same goes for Cabbages and Condoms. I understand the condoms part. Anyone who has ever eaten there would see the significance. But where does the "cabbages" part come in?
No idea on P&W, but have heard that Cabbages and Condoms is from Kuhn Mechai Viravaidya founder of the PDA. He was an early pioneer for promoting birth control and, if I recall correctly, was called "Mr. Condom." I was told the name was from his belief that condoms should be as accessible and as easy to get as cabbages in the market.

His organization is involved in many development projects to benefit poor communities in Thailand and, it is my understanding, that the profits from the restaurants (they are also in locations other than Pattaya) are used to further these activities. I have heard him speak a couple of times, a very interesting and dedicated individual.
As mentioned on Cabbages and Condoms website (http://www.cabbagesandcondoms.com/about_background.php):
PDA was first active in promoting family planning in urban and rural areas of Thailand, where knowledge of and access to such services were scarce. PDA recruited and trained respected members of local urban and rural neighbourhoods to distribute and provide information on affordable contraceptives directly to their communities.