Gaybutton

PIPA and SOPA Postponed

Post by Gaybutton »

Apparently the protests against PIPA and SOPA worked:
_________

PIPA, SOPA put on hold in wake of protests

By Stephanie Condon

January 20, 2012

Senate and House leaders announced Friday they are postponing work on two controversial anti-piracy bills in the wake of large online protests that spurred several congressmen to rethink the legislation.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid announced today that he is postponing Tuesday's procedural vote on the Protect IP Act (PIPA). Meanwhile, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith said his committee is postponing consideration of PIPA's House companion, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), "until there is wider agreement on a solution."

PIPA and SOPA are intended to strengthen protections against copyright infringement and intellectual property theft, but Internet advocates say they would stifle expression on the World Wide Web.

Full story: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162- ... -protests/

I'm against PIPA and SOPA. I don't like protectionist laws that favor specific industries. If these companies want protection, then they need to come up with ways to prevent piracy themselves. I don't want legislation that protects them to further stifle freedoms for everybody else. It's a precedent I totally dislike. Besides, legislation or not, I doubt legislation would effectively even slow down the piracy, let alone eliminate it. They claim they lose millions every year due to piracy. Fine. I'll be glad to trade bank accounts with any of those industry execs whenever they want.

I recall a few years ago some brilliant congressman wanted to start taxing Email. Fortunately, that idea was quickly shot down.

"I love America. I love all the freedoms we used to have."
- George Carlin