Corned Beef

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lvdkeyes

Corned Beef

Post by lvdkeyes »

This is my recipe for corned beef that I use for St. Patrick's Day Corned Beef & Cabbage.

7 quarts hot water
2 cups pickling salt
1/4 cup dry mustard
2 tbsp pickling spice**
10 cloves garlic
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 pounds beef brisket
**Pickling spice:
6 tbsp black pepper corns
6 tbsp mustard seeds
5 tbsp whole allspice
6 tsp coriander seeds
6 whole cloves
3 tsp ground ginger
3 tsp red pepper flakes
3 bay leaves, crumbled
3 cinnamon stick, cracked
Directions:
1. In an 8 quart non reactive container, stir together hot water, pickling salt, dry mustard, pickling spice, whole garlic cloves and pepper.
2. Let cool.
3. Add the beef and top with a heavy plate to keep the beef submerged.
4. Let beef brine for a minimum of 3 days or up to a week in the refrigerator.
5. Rinse with cold water.
Undaunted

Re: Corned Beef

Post by Undaunted »

You must be joking all this for a corned beef when you can buy it in a vacuum sealed bag?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:You must be joking all this for a corned beef when you can buy it in a vacuum sealed bag?
What's the joking part? Lvdkeyes posted the recipe because I asked him to. Some people simply enjoy trying to make their own, whether it's easy to buy it or not. If I want fried chicken, it's easy to go to KFC, but I also enjoy making my own. If I want a loaf of bread, I can easily go and buy it, but I enjoy making my own with my bread machine. Lvdkeyes enjoys making his own bread completely by hand, without a bread machine. So, what's wrong with making your own corned beef?

Seems easy enough to me. If you've got a teaspoon and tablespoon, what's the hard part? I have most of those spices sitting around the house anyway.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Undaunted wrote:You must be joking all this for a corned beef when you can buy it in a vacuum sealed bag?
Believe me, the vacuum sealed corned beef is not as good as making your own.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The one item on the list I haven't been able to find is the pickling salt. Where can I get it?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I am friendly with a retired history teacher who spends half the year here and half at his home in the west of Ireland. last night over a drink we talked about what was Irish food, he said corned beef and cabbage was not, he went on to tell me a story that many years ago his sister moved to the states and became friendly with a women she worked with and that women invited her for dinner with her family. Sometime in the next few days she arrived as planned for dinner, her host made corned beef and cabbage, while eating, my friends sister commented how delicious the meal was and asked what kind of meat was this?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

GB, pickling salt is essentially coarse non iodized salt. You can get it at the wet market at Wat Chai.

Modern day Irish in Ireland rarely have corned beef, but it dates back to the 1st century in Ireland. It is what they call salted beef. Corned beef in the US dates back to when the Irish arrived during the potato famine in Ireland. It was a way of using what was, at that time, a cheap cut of beef. The "corning" was a way of preserving it. In many American Irish families corned beef and cabbage is the traditional dish for St. Patrick's Day.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

justme wrote:where are they for sale
You might find what you want at Western Wholesale Meats. He always has corned beef, and he will cut them to whatever size you want, but you have to cook it yourself. Sometimes he has packaged corned beef and pastrami and sometimes he doesn't, but when he does, for me it's always been very good. You can call him before going to find out if he has any and how much of it he has. He has a lot there besides corned beef and pastrami.

It's a small place and easy to miss the first time you look for it. If you go, it's on Soi Chaiyapruek, on the south side between the railroad tracks and Sukhumvit. It's almost directly across from the open air market and next door to the soft drink wholesaler. If you come in from Sukhumvit, it's on the right, about halfway between Sukhumvit and the railroad tracks.

lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Today I picked up the brisket I ordered from Prime Beef. It looks very good. 350THB/kg. On the off chance I called Western Wholesale to see if he had pickling salt. Lo and behold he has it. 70THB/kg. 1 kg is 2 cups. Just what is needed for the corned beef recipe I use. My brisket is in the fridge brining now for St. Patrick's Day. I like mine well brined.

As I said before you can use Kosher salt, but the pickling salt has agents in it to keep the meat pink and more appetizing to look at.
blue

Post by blue »

@lvdkeyes..only 2 more days to go :) hope u enjoy ur corned beef..
Can u pls post a pic , i like to see the color. Thanks...