Rich Man Poor Man

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Up2u

Re: Rich Man Poor Man

Post by Up2u »

A recent visit to RMPM certainly validates all the positive comments regarding the food. I enjoyed the meatloaf and mashed potatoes, real home cooking. People who had the apple pie said it was excellent. This little unpretentious hole-in-wall is a blue-collar type restaurant, cheap with good basic food. If I didn't hear about it on the forums and just happened to be strolling by I probably would have kept on walking. If smoking is permitted I did not witness it. But this place probably does try to bend the rules since it has a bar with stools. If someone smoked and I found it bothersome that would be justification for me for not leaving a tip. Something I just feel strongly about.
TOQ

Post by TOQ »

I am glad you had a good meal there, I always had too. Last time I was there many people were smoking in the dining room. When I asked about it the owner told me if I wanted a smoke free room I would need to find another restaurant. I have not darkened the door since.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Up2u wrote: If someone smoked and I found it bothersome that would be justification for me for not leaving a tip. Something I just feel strongly about.

While I agree that allowing smoking inside RMPM is unacceptable. I have stopped going there because of it. I don't think it is fair to the wait staff to stiff them when they have no control over patrons smoking when the owner allows it.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Believe me it is your loss for not going there. During the day there is rarely any smoking and it mostly occurs at night when there are games on the tv.

He will not miss your business because he is doing good business for many years. Sometimes you have to do what the customer wants and evidently he has a lot of customers at night who like to smoke.

As far as it being the law, This is Thailand. The law means nothing!!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69 wrote:As far as it being the law, This is Thailand. The law means nothing!!
Unfortunately, that is true. A law doesn't mean very much if it isn't enforced. They keep coming out with new laws, enforce them for a couple weeks, and that's the end of it. Sometimes I think instead of calling it a law, they instead ought to call it a temporary farce.

Along with the lack of enforcement of smoking regulations, my favorites are the 90 decibel music volume limitation and the alternate day parking on Pattaya Tai. Anyone seen either of those enforced lately?

The smoking regulations shouldn't even need enforcement. Everyone knows not to impose smoke on others. Being a smoker myself, I don't understand why it's such a big problem to simply step outside to smoke. Many of the bars have gone back to allowing smoking too. Despite the fact that there is supposed to be a 2000 baht fine for those caught smoking indoors and a 20,000 baht fine for the establishment if they permit it, I have yet to ever hear of a single fine ever being issued to a customer or establishment.

I also have yet to hear of any establishment ever fined for violating the 90 decibel rule. Quite frequently, angry letters-to-the-editor appear in publications such as the Pattaya Mail, in which someone is complaining about a nearby karaoke or bar with the music volume set to the max and it goes on all night. People can't sleep. It is driving them crazy. Some say they can't even hear their own TVs. They say they've called the police, but the police do nothing about it. Even on the rare occasions when the volume is reduced after an even more rare visit from the police, as soon as the police leave the volume goes right back up.

The underlying problem is the sheer absence of consideration for others. Far too many people couldn't care less if what they're doing, and doing illegally, is bothering others. And if you try to do anything about it yourself, now you become the one who is most likely to end up in the police station - in handcuffs.

In Pattaya, at least, almost any new regulation is nothing more than a joke - and a lot of money is spent on the little laugh. The traffic signals for pedestrians is totally ignored by traffic. The recent media hype about fining and even arresting wrong-way motorbike drivers - enforcement lasted a grand total of one day. The sweeps of the lady-boy Beach Road and Walking street pickpockets - in every instance they're fined 100 or 200 baht, released, and they're right back on the streets doing the same thing.

The only serious and consistent enforcement I ever see is the police pulling over motorbike drivers who are not wearing a helmet. It comes as no surprise to me that the anti-smoking regulations are becoming more and more ignored. The only thing I know that a farang can do about it is to vote with their feet. Only one problem - it doesn't work.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I don't care if the owner misses my business or not. I am not going to go to an indoor place that allows smoking and subject myself to an unpleasant nauseating odor.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

lvdkeyes wrote:
Up2u wrote: If someone smoked and I found it bothersome that would be justification for me for not leaving a tip. Something I just feel strongly about.

While I agree that allowing smoking inside RMPM is unacceptable. I have stopped going there because of it. I don't think it is fair to the wait staff to stiff them when they have no control over patrons smoking when the owner allows it.
You are right and I am wrong; smoking is a sore subject with me even at the beach. I wouldn't stiff the staff but I would have a few choice words for the owner.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:I would have a few choice words for the owner.
Other than making you feel better, do you really believe that would change anything?
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

You are right it wouldn't change a thing; just healthier to relieve the pressure and not keep things built up inside. Don't get me wrong, I'd be polite.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

From what I have heard your comments, polite or otherwise, would be met with disdain. Better to just avoid places that allow smoking indoors if you feel as strongly about smoking as I do.