Portugal

lvdkeyes

Portugal

Post by lvdkeyes »

My bf and I are going to Portugal in May. Does anyone have any tips about out of the way places to see, restaurants, etc.? We are not interested in gay venues.
pong

Re: Portugal

Post by pong »

and this BF is Thai? with the tipical interests they usually have.
And you plan to have a hirecar?
Nature? Beach? Culture? specific interest?
Be aware of the Christian holidays- Ascension/ Pentecost? or whatever they are named in engl-long weekends and anyone leaves town.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

My bf is Thai, but not typical Thai boy. First off he is 45 y/o, not interested in bars or alcohol and he is interested in art and architecture.

Beaches are of no interest. We have beaches here.

Culture and restaurants are our prime interests.

Yes, we are planning to rent a car for a week or so to get out of Lisbon.
jomtien999

Post by jomtien999 »

I was in Portugal about three years ago for a conference which was in Porto. A really lovely city with beautiful architecture. Our best meal was a lunch at one of the old Port (Wine) Houses overlooking the old town. If you're interested I am sure I can look that place up. We also hiked a shortened version of the Camino for about three days and enjoyed arriving in Santiago de Compostella - our destination. Santiago is truly fascinating and very beautiful - it has the benefit of being a lively university centre - so lots of interesting small restaurants and bars which are not expensive. We did not go to LIsbon.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Thanks for the information. This is exactly what I am looking for.
jomtien999

Post by jomtien999 »

Taylor's Port Wine Cellars in Vila Nova district of Porto is the place I was trying to remember. They host an excellent and informative tour of the underground cellars plus a small tasting session. Website is www.taylor.pt. Their restaurant is wonderful and has a terrace that overlooks the city.
Santiago de Compostela is in Spain of course - but depending on how much time you have it is very worthwhile. We walked part of the route approaching from the Portuguese side.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

If you are going up to Porto - which is well worthwhile - do consider the shortish train trip up to Santiago da Compostella as suggested by jomtien999. It is a fascinating town and the huge basilica is just amazing.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Thanks again.