Restaurants elsewhere

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Restaurants elsewhere

Post by Gaybutton »

Nearly every restaurant review and recommendation on this forum is about Pattaya restaurants. How about other areas? Some of you who either live in or have been to other areas must know of restaurants you would recommend. How about some recommendations for Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Ko Samui, and Udon Thani restaurants? How about other areas? Even rural areas often have surprisingly good restaurants. What are some of your favorites?
saintemilion

Re: Restaurants elsewhere

Post by saintemilion »

In chiang Mai , I love the restaurant La Terrasse , very good food, nice atmosphere ..not too expensive
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

saintemilion wrote:In chiang Mai , I love the restaurant La Terrasse , very good food, nice atmosphere ..not too expensive
Thank you for getting this started, but you really didn't tell us much of anything. I'm hoping for reviews a little more comprehensive, including what kind of food is served, what your favorite menu items are, prices, atmosphere, service, location, etc.

I don't expect anyone to write professional reviews and I don't expect reviews as comprehensive as the following, but it gives an idea of what I'd like to see if you're going to review a restaurant:

http://www.diningguidechiangmai.com/201 ... eview.html
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

When we were in CM in November we went to a nice restaurant with Bob and some of his friends. I don't remember the name of it, but I am sure Bob does.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:I don't remember the name of it, but I am sure Bob does.
Ok, Bob - that's your cue . . .
Bob

Post by Bob »

Gaybutton wrote:
lvdkeyes wrote:I don't remember the name of it, but I am sure Bob does.
Ok, Bob - that's your cue . . .
Geez, nice to have the cue but better yet if you could remind me where I went with Khun Lvdkeyes and others. Okay, I think it was Chez Marco on Loy Kroh (about 50 yards toward the moat from the French restaurant (La Terrasse) mentioned above).

It's difficult as hell to rate restaurants up here for the simple reason that there are 17 billion of them and I've only been to a couple hundred or so of them. But, for what it's worth (exactly what you're paying for it?):

Falang food - best in my view is Chez Marco and I've never known anybody who's gone there who didn't enjoy the meal. Medium pricey but very good food. A close second - just my personal preference and I'm not gourmet - is The House which is about 300 yards due north of the Montri Hotel (which technically might be the "M" hotel now but nobody cares as we still call it the Montri). Food might be a tad better at Chez Marco but it's still very good at The House, the prices are a bit lower at The House, and the ambience is far better than at Chez Marco (Chez Marco looks okay inside but it is rather noisy). The House, by the way, also serves Thai food although it might be a tad "made for falang" according to a couple of Thais I know who've eaten there. Anyway, I recommend heartily both places for falang who come up here to the boonies.

I and some others also went to the LaTerrasse French place mentioned above a couple of months ago. Okay with all of us but, frankly, we weren't all that impressed with it. Food was fine (nobody got too excited about it, though) and service was so-so. Somewhat non-memorable for our group. I see that poster Saintemilion enjoyed his meal there so maybe we should try it again (most restaurants have an off night now and then).

One of the best places for lunch on the west side is Khun Maw on Soi 17 of Nimman (directly across the soi from Khun Churn, a fairly good vegetarian restaurant). All Thai and "asian-fusion-type" food but everybody I know who's eaten there really likes the place. Very clean and usually fairly busy (a lot of Thais eat there and that ought to tell you something).

I could tell you about a lot of other places but there's still another couple of thousand places I haven't eaten at. Oh, attended the opening of the new Mexican restaurant Loco Elvis (it's on Moon Muang just inside the moat across the street from Mikes) and, while it was pretty obvious that they couldn't handle the crowd there for the buffet-style layout on opening night, the little bit of food that I did get was really, really, good (true Tex-Mex - the place is owned by a guy who was a restaurant owner in Oklahoma for 30 years). Went back with a few friends a couple of weeks later and I guess I should have remembered about the total incompetence of the staff at the opening. A couple of friends got their first orders about an hour later...and they had the orders wrong. They straightened most of that out in another 10-20 minutes (we were getting rather unhappy about the wait). Clever me.....having noticed upfront that the waitress (she should have been blonde) didn't seem to understand anything (Thai or English) with the first three orders....thought I'd eliminate the problem by pointing on the menu as to what I wanted and then making her repeat it. I was left with no doubt that she wrote down exactly what I ordered but......I'm still presently waiting for my order to be delivered! And, of course, we made them delete my order from the bill as, given we're a tad picky especially when we're slightly pissed off, we figured that they shouldn't charge 200-300 baht for delivering nothing! Needless to say, we all agreed to wait a year to try that place again.

Okay, that's about as "comprehensive" as I can get on a Monday afternoon.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Yes, Chez Marco was the place.