More gay marriage progress in USA? American & Thai ???

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
travelerjim

More gay marriage progress in USA? American & Thai ???

Post by travelerjim »

Gay couples, where spouse is a foreigner, sue over DOMA
More progress in USA? Let's hope so!

When it finally hits the US Supreme Court, it will be allowed and the hipocrit so called - self professed -Christian
wackos can complain all they want...justice and equality will prevail for ALL, IMHO.

This lawsuit filed this week involves the right of an American to marry a foreigner of the same sex...
and be entitled to same benefits and rights as hetero marriages.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... -over-doma

Same-sex couples, in which one partner is a foreigner, have filed a lawsuit challenging a federal law that prevents them
from getting a green card for their spouses, just ahead of the start of a related court battle that some predict could bring
the issue of gay marriage to the Supreme Court.

The lawsuit, filed Monday on behalf of five binational gay couples, targets Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA),
which blocks federal benefits for same-sex couples -- including the right of an American to sponsor their foreign spouse for
a green card. The lawsuit claims that DOMA violates their constitutional right to equal protection.

tj
Alex

Re: More gay marriage progress in USA? American & Thai ???

Post by Alex »

It's about time, I hope it will happen!
crabby

Post by crabby »

I sure hope so! I could adopt boy as my wife!
anonone

Post by anonone »

I was wondering when this would happen. About time.

It is absolutely crazy that gays in long term relationships have such trouble to even get a visa for their BF to visit, let alone a green card. Straights get married and get let right in....

Equal protection...right.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

anonone wrote:It is absolutely crazy that gays in long term relationships have such trouble to even get a visa for their BF to visit, let alone a green card.
A few year ago I asked a representative at the US embassy about why it is so difficult for Thais to get a visa to visit the USA. He said the problem is the number of people who enter the USA on one kind of visa or another and don't leave. They just stay as illegal immigrants. That, he said, is the problem.

He said the reason for all the requirements, paperwork, and hoops visa applicants have to jump through is because it is part of the embassy's responsibility to attempt to prevent that as best as they can. He said it all boils down to one thing: A visa applicant has to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the embassy that he has a "compelling reason" to return to his home country.

By the way, he also said if the embassy has reason to believe the applicant is, or ever has been, involved in prostitution, then a visa will not be issued and that person will be placed on "the blacklist" for life.

All this was told to me about 12 years ago. I have no idea whether there has been any policy changes since then. From what I understand, the people at the US embassy who handle visa applications and interviews are not Americans. They're Thais who have been trained and employed for that task and they're much tougher about granting visas.

For what it's worth, I know several people whose boyfriends did manage to get a visa to travel to the USA and I would have thought they had no chance. On the other hand, I know a Thai young man who had a student visa and had been in the USA going to a university for three years. He had never been in any kind of trouble in the USA, was getting good grades, and had returned to Thailand periodically to visit his family. Shortly before the beginning of his fourth and final year at the university, when he went to the embassy to renew his visa, they denied him the visa. They never even gave him a reason for it. They don't have to and they didn't. I thought that was a terrible and totally unfair thing to do to somebody, but that's what happened anyhow. Your tax dollar at work!

My advice is, if you want to have a boyfriend visit the USA or any other country, it can't hurt to try. Just remember - for many boys if may be the first time he has ever been out of the country. Remember that old saying about the road to Hell being paved with good intentions? I know several people who succeeded in getting the visa, but regretted it when they realized the boy was hating the whole thing and all he wanted to do was get back to Thailand. Even food was difficult because the boys would only eat Thai food. The whole experience was very expensive and completely miserable for both of them.

On the other hand, I also know people who did it and had a fabulous time.

In short, you have nothing to lose by trying to get the visa, but you better make sure the boy you're hoping to bring home is really going to enjoy it if he succeeds.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Gaybutton wrote: On the other hand, I know a Thai young man who had a student visa and had been in the USA going to a university for three years. He had never been in any kind of trouble in the USA, was getting good grades, and had returned to Thailand periodically to visit his family. Shortly before the beginning of his fourth and final year at the university, when he went to the embassy to renew his visa, they denied him the visa. They never even gave him a reason for it. They don't have to and they didn't. I thought that was a terrible and totally unfair thing to do to somebody, but that's what happened anyhow.
What surprises me about this is that he had to renew his visa at all.

Those people I know who went to the U.S. to study there received a student visa that's valid for five years. From the start. So as long as you continue to study and have the papers to show that, you shouldn't need to apply for a new visa each and every time you go back home for a short visit.

Even most tourists get a U.S. visa that is valid for quite a long time (5 years or 10 years not being uncommon, even for Thais). Sure, with such a visa, you can still be denied entry by the Immigration officer, and you cannot stay too long in a row, but nevertheless, you don't need to re-apply for a new visa for a long time, unless you need a different type of visa.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:[What surprises me about this is that he had to renew his visa at all.
I don't know why he had to renew his visa. All I ever knew about it is he did have to renew it and it was denied.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Alex wrote:Even most tourists get a U.S. visa that is valid for quite a long time (5 years or 10 years not being uncommon, even for Thais). Sure, with such a visa, you can still be denied entry by the Immigration officer, and you cannot stay too long in a row, but nevertheless, you don't need to re-apply for a new visa for a long time, unless you need a different type of visa.
My Thai bf has had two US Tourist Visa's issued...(after one turn down in 2005)...
He was first issued a one year visa with multiple entries in 2009; then his second was for 5 years issued in 2011.

He has visited the USA with me 6 times and each time has been admitted for 6 months -
although we stayed approx 2 weeks to 2 months each trip.

Every time he has arrived at US Immigration he was pulled over for further "secondary" review. He would have his detailed itinerary
with him as well as return ticket. Along with a full letter from me discussing our trip and relationship. That "secondary" interview each time would take about 1-2 hours...as there were many being given a second look by US Immigration.

The last time he entered the US in Detroit, after about an hour, an Immigration Officer came out of the office and saw me.
I had asked an Officer "Where was my Thai bf?"...that Officer went into the secondary interview room and informed them I was waiting for him.

The Officer asked if the Thai was with me and were we married or bf's? I said we had been together nearly 8 years and were bf's...
and waiting for the laws in the US to change to recognize marriage for gays. He also asked if he was "my employee" I said NO.
He was satisfied with my answers and returned to the office, following which my bf joined me in the baggage area to gather our luggage and continue with our trip. Hopefully, the Officer will enter remarks into my bf's record regarding our relationship...just maybe he will not have to endure the time wasted in the secondary interview upon arrival at US Immigration.

Later this year we will find out as we travel to USA for the year end holidays. I hope so...as I am embarrassed each time at the way the USA Immigration treats him as he is always sent for secondary review. Even though he has been in the USA now 6 times.

I do not think the Mexicans and others who cross our Southern US border are even interviewed once ..as they enter illegally.

tj
gumbleby

Post by gumbleby »

Gaybutton wrote:Even food was difficult because the boys would only eat Thai food. The whole experience was very expensive and completely miserable for both of them.
Before applying for a Schengen visa we visited a few neighboring countries together first (Laos, Singapore etc.).

My boyfriend eats Farang food some of the time (he tends to prefer fish). At home we ended up cooking on alternate days - with me cooking Farang style, him Thai style. When traveling he sometimes had cup noodles (we'll need to bring a small water cooker next time).

No problem finding at least some ingredients for Thai cooking ; BF also liked some local ingredients like Brussels sprouts, endives, fermented anchovy and of course beer and wine, ...).

Of course getting a Schengen visa (tourism only) is probably easier than North America.

If a North American visa is too difficult, I'm not sure about Mexico, but I remember Thais don't need a visa for most of Latin America. Thais can transit trough Europe, Australia or Japan without a transit visa (baggage has to be checked through). At least the BF can do the long distance flying for a change.

North Africa should also be easy to organize.