Potatoes in Thailand

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Klong

Potatoes in Thailand

Post by Klong »

Other than some type of sweet potato, I have found only one type of potato available in Thailand. It is a white potato. In the US at least three types are commonly available. The red which many call Irish Potato, the Russet and the Canadian Gold. Anyone know why only the white one is available in Thailand?

Additionally, I find that the one potato available here does not fry well. Anyone else have this problem?
lvdkeyes

Re: Potatoes in Thailand

Post by lvdkeyes »

Sometimes Makro has some potatoes similar to russets which fry up well, but they don't always have them.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Foodland has the small brown potato, which I have used when making stew.

Several years ago, I was planning on making a sweet potato pie - so, I tried to cook the Thai sweet potato -- used different methods - they always came out with about half the potato crumbly and the remaining part not tender like USA sweet potato. When Richard Burk had his Thanksgiving dinners at the old Amor, he had Yams on the menu, I had hopes. But they were obviously the Thai variety and to me were not tasty. Likewise, you can sometimes find the Thai yams the food carts - but again, not very tender or tasty.

On my last visit to USA a few years ago, I made a point of eating at Outback Steak Houses a few times as I like their Prime Rib with mashed sweet potato as a side dish - very tasty IMO. At the Outback in Hong Kong, they also served mashed sweet potato as a side dish. A friend suggested I try the Outback in Bangkok -- I did and was very disappointed - one, they were "out" of prime rib that evening and two, looking at the menu, no mashed sweet potato available as a side dish. :evil: On occasion, at Villa Market, I have seen imported sweet potato (expensive) and canned sweet potato. I haven't been there in a long time, so don't know if they have other types of imported potato.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I have never seen red potatoes at any of the Villa Markets. Villa sometimes have Idaho Russets and they are so expensive each one is individually rapped and priced. I was told that the open food market on Kamphengphet opposite Chatuchak have Russets but I have never personally confirmed that. The place is the size of two foot ball fields and unless someone wants to tell me exactly where, I don't have the motivation to try and find them. Also, they might be a sometimes have, sometimes have not especially if they are coming from some local source rather than imported.

Ahh, mashed sweet potatoes, haven't tried that with Thai sweets. You can fry them too like French fries. How about Timmis, that mashed sweet potatoes with lightly mashed carrots seasoned with ground cloves, black pepper and a little cinnamon. Or try this variation, looks good:
http://www.theglobaljewishkitchen.com/2009/11/17/887/
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

2lz2p wrote:Several years ago, I was planning on making a sweet potato pie - so, I tried to cook the Thai sweet potato -- used different methods - they always came out with about half the potato crumbly and the remaining part not tender like USA sweet potato. When Richard Burk had his Thanksgiving dinners at the old Amor, he had Yams on the menu, I had hopes. But they were obviously the Thai variety and to me were not tasty. Likewise, you can sometimes find the Thai yams the food carts - but again, not very tender or tasty.
Surprisingly, sweet potatoes and yams are better for your health than the white potato variety. They are lower on the glycemic index. The GI value for the russet is a whopping 94. Sweet potatoes are only 48 and yams 51. GI values are calculated only for foods containing sugar or starch. To check out where other vegetables rate, go to:

http://www.glycemicindex.com/