Thai police visiting foreigners, asking for personal info

Anything and everything about Thailand
Up2u

Immigration Form

Post by Up2u »

Anybody in Chiang Mai vouch for this report?

http://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/09/t ... gners-say/
Gmac

Re: Thai police visiting foreigners, asking for personal info

Post by Gmac »

I just returned from Pattaya and can tell you your information is correct. I ran into an old friend there who had moved a few blocks to another condo and was approached by the Thai authorities and confronted for not reporting the move. Fortunately, after providing proof of the new rental he wasn't charged with any crime. On a lighter note. We had a blast and I can't wait to return. Going to Bangkok in Late October, recommends for evening food and entertainment?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Gmac wrote:I ran into an old friend there who had moved a few blocks to another condo and was approached by the Thai authorities and confronted for not reporting the move.
I'm sure we'll hear about sporadic confrontations regarding the form. I think what happened with your friend had nothing to do with the form. Based on your post, that's coming across to me as an entirely different thing. Whenever a foreigner living in Thailand moves from one address to another, he's supposed to report the change of address immediately, not wait until the 90 day address report is due. If immigration finds out somehow that a foreigner did not do that, now it's trouble. Your friend was lucky. If he was approached by the wrong officers, it could have gone much worse - and he wouldn't have been able to do a thing about it.

Regarding your question about recommendations for food and entertainment in Bangkok, I suggest starting a separate topic. The answers to those questions do not belong on a topic about Thai police confrontations. You might also send a PM to Trongpai. He lives in Bangkok and knows all the places. He might even be willing, if you ask real nice, to take you personally to some of those places.

I also suggest reading ChristianPFC's blog. Christian is a member of this board, lives in Bangkok, and he is also usually willing to answer questions if you send him a PM. Read his blog. He's been everywhere and knows the details about anything you can think of, and even quite a bit about things you never thought of. http://christianpfc.blogspot.com
Gmac

Post by Gmac »

Thx for the info. Much appreciated.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: I also suggest reading ChristianPFC's blog.
F.Y.I. Christianpfc no longer lives in Bangkok and has returned to Germany.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:F.Y.I. Christianpfc no longer lives in Bangkok and has returned to Germany.
You're making it seem as if that's permanent. He goes back to Germany for a few months every year.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I guess; I can only hope.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

That's fine, Undaunted. Now can we stick to the subject?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote:That's fine, Undaunted. Now can we stick to the subject?
Back on subject.......Either you believe an isolated incident brought on by an act of negligence is relevant or not, if you report properly then any intrusion most likely can be avoided and needn't be viewed as a "witch hunt".
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Gaybutton wrote:. Whenever a foreigner living in Thailand moves from one address to another, he's supposed to report the change of address immediately, not wait until the 90 day address report is due. If immigration finds out somehow that a foreigner did not do that, now it's trouble.
Technically it is the responsibility of the condo owner/lessor to report the presence of a new tenant within 24 hours with a TM 30 Form. Rarely done by many condo owners. Fine is somewhere up to 2000 Baht for non-compliance.
Of course the tenant could self report his presence with TM 30 or TM28

Here is a topic on your forum regarding this reporting procedure, note your comments.

http://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?t=6914