Thai police visiting foreigners, asking for personal info

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Thai police visiting foreigners, asking for personal info

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:Rarely done by many condo owners.
I don't understand why some people don't comply. The last thing I would want would be to end up on immigration's shit list.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

>> Rarely done by many condo owners.

> I don't understand why some people don't comply.

Because condo owners don't want to end up paying the 12% rental tax. Plus, those that own multiple units (and don't hire a manager) don't want to be arrested for not having a work permit.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

mahjongguy wrote:Because condo owners don't want to end up paying the 12% rental tax. Plus, those that own multiple units (and don't hire a manager) don't want to be arrested for not having a work permit.
Ok, that's understandable. Meanwhile the renter may report his address, assuming he's going to comply with the law. I don't know how sophisticated Thailand's computer systems are just yet, but sooner or later it stands to reason that it will be very simple for immigration to see whether someone reporting his address from a rental, as a tenant, cross checks with the owner reporting the presence of the tenant. I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that if I hadn't complied.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Immigration nowadays pays attention that a full address is given in arrival card. Years ago, you could just put "Khao San", but now staff checks while you are still in the queue if you have passport and arrival card ready and filled out completely. That information might be used to cross-check.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

To date, other then the incident reported earlier in this topic, has anyone or do you know of anyone who has actually received a visit from immigration? I haven't and I don't know anyone who has.