Thai police visiting foreigners, asking for personal info

Anything and everything about Thailand
Maple

Thai police visiting foreigners, asking for personal info

Post by Maple »

Thai police visiting foreigners at home, asking for yet more personal info via new controversial form.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/945 ... sial-form/
lvdkeyes

Re: Thai police visiting foreigners, asking for personal info

Post by lvdkeyes »

Outrageous!
Jogger

Post by Jogger »

lvdkeyes wrote:Outrageous!
+1
I agree it is outrageous. If anyone has similar experience especially in Pattaya, please post it here.
Thank u.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jogger wrote:If anyone has similar experience especially in Pattaya, please post it here.
One person did. Apparently he ended up caught for submitting false information. See the article below.

I don't see it as particularly outrageous if they're checking people they have good reason to believe intentionally submitted false information. If it is nothing more than random checks to check that people are really living where they say they are living, I still don't see that as outrageous. I see it as immigration finally doing their job.

However, this bullshit about all kinds of personal information - that I see as outrageous, especially since the form says much of that information is not required. My question would be if they wanted more information than was submitted, why wasn't that checked when people first turned in the form? The officer who took my form never even looked at it. She just put it in a pile with the rest of them.

British national fined after random address checks

September 27, 2016

A British man has been fined in Pattaya for not registering his correct address.

Thirty-eight-year old John Paul Withers was discovered living at an address he had not told Chonburi immigration about.

It appears immigration officials were carrying out random checks of condo buildings in Banglamung on September 13 and found Mr Withers not on their list of residents.

He has been fined 4000 baht under 1979 immigration regulations.

His case has been listed on the Chonburi immigration website in the section called Good Guys In Bad Guys Out.

He is not being deported.

Immigration officials warn all foreigners to register their correct addresses or face fines.

Story and photo: http://pattayaone.news/en/british-natio ... ss-checks/
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

In these times I can't help but think of this:

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
pong

Post by pong »

From other fora (in my own language) I have learnt/read that this happens already for quite some time in faraway regions like Isan, also from outer areas around HuaHin. Sometimes just to check the farang is indeed living there as officially stated, sometimes to ask for more.
Jun

Post by Jun »

All of this makes complete sense. If people lie on their immigration forms, the authorities should be entitled to check it.

As long as that is limited to people lying about significant stuff like residents with the wrong permanent addresses.

Obviously at the other end of the scale, tourists could not be expected to list anything other than their first hotel on their immigration form, considering the available space.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Smiles

Post by Smiles »

pong wrote:" ... From other fora (in my own language) I have learnt/read that this happens already for quite some time in faraway regions like Isan, also from outer areas around HuaHin. Sometimes just to check the farang is indeed living there as officially stated, sometimes to ask for more.
I have lived in Hua Hin for 9 years and I have never once heard mention by any farang who holds a Non-Imm visa (and that's a lot) speak about, has heard about any such document or any knocking-on-doors investigating by any members of the Thai Police.
Since the beginning of 2016 I have had three 90-day visits, plus 1 Re-entry, plus 1 annual Extension. Not once has there been an incident where the Imm Police asked for documentation other then the Usual Suspects.

I can't speak to other areas.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Smiles wrote:I have never once heard mention by any farang who holds a Non-Imm visa
Neither have I. I don't know anyone who has had a knock on the door from immigration wanting further information. I don't know anyone who submitted the document asked for any further information when they went to immigration. I don't know anyone who has the barcode receipt, once they've submitted the document, asked for anything other than the barcode receipt.

I'm guessing this is going to be yet another move that quickly fades away. I have no objection to immigration checking to make sure foreigners are living where they say they live. I think that's what they should have been doing all along.

Supposedly this whole thing with the document is supposed to help security and help catch potential terrorists. Would somebody please explain to me how? As far as I know, the only time anyone has been caught doing anything wrong as a result of information submitted on the document is the one guy talked about in the article.

A true need for this document is already on my "I Don't Get It" list, and has been there ever since they started requiring it.