Changes in wake of death of His Majesty, the King

Anything and everything about Thailand
Up2u

Re: Changes in wake of death of His Majesty, the King

Post by Up2u »

I've been wearing black and a handful at the Pattaya City Expats Club also. I see many respectful posts on FB and Twitter but expats in Bangkok may have more sense of grief of the Thais than those of us living in a tourist town like Pattaya.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

As guests in this country it is only respectful to mourn with the majority of the Thai people by wearing black or dark subdued colors.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

I would also take care not to be seen wearing shorts and sandals.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thaiworthy wrote:I would also take care not to be seen wearing shorts and sandals.
That is not a problem, at least in Pattaya. Even most Thais are wearing shorts and sandals. It's a different story if you're going to a wat or government office, but nobody is otherwise objecting to shorts and sandals.

There is no problem about dressing casually and dressing normally. The thing to do is wear black, white, dark colors, and neutral colors. Nothing flashy or flamboyant. I wouldn't recommend walking around in a Hawaiian shirt right now, though, even when going to the beach.

Thais want respect shown for His Majesty, The King. As long as you are not intentionally dressing disrespectfully, there will be no problem.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

thaiworthy wrote:I would also take care not to be seen wearing shorts and sandals.
Nonsense. Thai's don't expect foreigners to dress in black. They couldn't care less. There a hundreds (thousands?) on any given street or mall or driving their motorbikes or going about their business wearing their regular clothes, whether it be black, yellow, or any colour under the sun.
Shorts and sandals are common place, and continue to be so.

(Good grief ... me and The Hammer overlapped and in agreement.)
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Smiles wrote:Thai's don't expect foreigners to dress in black. They couldn't care less.
I wouldn't say they couldn't care less. I'm sure Thais would appreciate farang dressing appropriately. I do agree with everything else you said. Most Thais I've seen are dressing as they always dress, but I do notice much more black than usual.

White is also considered appropriate, but I've seen far more black than white.

Besides, many farang, especially farang in Thailand as tourists, may not even have black clothing. There has been a run on black clothing and many shops have already sold out. How soon they'll have more is anyone's guess.

Just use common sense.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Smiles wrote:Thai's don't expect foreigners to dress in black. They couldn't care less. There a hundreds (thousands?) on any given street or mall or driving their motorbikes or going about their business wearing their regular clothes, whether it be black, yellow, or any colour under the sun.
Shorts and sandals are common place, and continue to be so.
I don't care about what any one else is doing, I only care about what I am doing. I said "I" would take care. When I wear shorts and sandals, it makes me look like a slob. But that's just me. The comment is just an opinion from my point-of-view and only reflects how I feel when I look in a mirror. You can take this out of that context if you like, but it is not my intention to impress other Thais and foreigners regardless of their perception of whether I am dressing out of respect or not. Not everyone who lives here dresses for a beach party. It don't like the image it conveys about me, so forgive me if your flip-flops left you tongue-tied.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

thaiworthy wrote: I would also take care not to be seen wearing shorts and sandals.
Sounds to me like you are suggesting what people should do!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:
thaiworthy wrote: I would also take care not to be seen wearing shorts and sandals.
Sounds to me like you are suggesting what people should do!
This argument just ended. Let's please stick to the subject. This topic is for information, not arguments.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I have edited the list to exclude cancellations for dates already passed at the time of this post.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Status of tourist attractions

The Grand Palace and The Temple of the Emerald Buddha - Closed 14-20 October 2016
Wat Pho (The Temple of the Reclining Buddha) - Open as usual
Wat Arun (The Temple of Dawn) - Open as usual
Ratchadamnoen Boxing Stadium - Closed until further notice
The Alcazar Cabaret, Pattaya - Open as usual (daily show times at 17.00, 18.30, 20.00 and 21.30 Hrs., but the last show has been cancelled until end of October 2016
Tiffany’s Show, Pattaya - Open as usual (daily show times at 18.00, 19.30 and 21.00 Hrs.)
Siam Niramit - Open as usual (17.00-20.00 Hrs.)
Phuket Simon Cabaret - Open as usual (18.00-22.30 Hrs.)
Calypso at Asiatique The Riverfront - Open as usual (no alcohol)
The Square Buddha Amulet Market, Bangkok - Closed until further notice
Chiang Mai Walking Street on Saturday and Sunday & Chiang Mai Night Bazaar - Closed until further notice

Events cancelled

Scorpions 50th Anniversary Tour 2016, BITEC, Bangkok - 26 October 2016
2016 Lee Jongsuk Fan Meeting Variety in Bangkok, Thunder Dome, Bangkok - 28 October 2016
BIGBANG Made [V.I.P] Tour in Bangkok, IMPACT Arena - 29-30 October 2016
Ghost Fair at Mega Bangna, Bangkok, - 20-31 October 2016
Bangkok Symphony Orchestra 2016 – The Sound of Thai Heritage - 21 October 2016
Pattaya International Fireworks Festival - 25-26 November 2016
New Year Celebrations, Pattaya - 31 December 2016 – 1 January 2017

Events postponed indefinitely or to new dates

Chanthaburi Scenic Marathon - 29-30 October 2016
Harmony World Puppet in Kanchanaburi 2016 - (1-7 November 2016 (new dates 20-26 February 2017)
Krabi Adventurous Trophy 2016 - 4-5 November 2016
Bangkok Street Show 2016 at Lumpini Park - 10-12 December 2016

http://pattayaone.news/en/current-statu ... -official/