The year Halloween fizzled..

Anything and everything about Thailand
catawampuscat

The year Halloween fizzled..

Post by catawampuscat »

Looks like Halloween will be forgotten this year due to national mourning. I'll save the 'dirty old man' costume for next year.
Gaybutton

Re: The year Halloween fizzled..

Post by Gaybutton »

The 30 day designated mourning period concludes November 14.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I've read several sources that say New Years fireworks and celebrations outdoors are cancelled.http://www.richardbarrow.com/2016/10/la ... h-of-king/

I had non refundable reservations for a Pattaya hotel during New Years. The manager said he's positive that there will be no fireworks display this year and I was offered a full refund. I took it before they change their mind. I can't see paying an inflated Holiday price if there's no fireworks display.

Siam @ Siam hotel has a nice roof top party every year and it's the perfect spot for viewing the fireworks. The manager told me it's cancelled. He also said that in the past few weeks around 80% have cancelled their New Years bookings. They were fully booked. Many made booking 4 to 6 months ago.

Now, the question: Will the Pattaya authorities reverse or amend this decision?

Many of us start planing now on a Songkran escape. The Thai government has for some years now tried to tone down the wild out of control water wars but this year we might see a return to a civil, calm and no water war Songkran. I can hope.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

catawampuscat wrote:Looks like Halloween will be forgotten this year due to national mourning. I'll save the 'dirty old man' costume for next year.
Loy Kratong is still on so why not wait and just tape a candle to your head?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Loy Kratong is still on
Loy Kratong is on the list of cancellations. See: http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/updat ... nd/156878/

As for Songkran, that holiday is still 6 months away. It is not on any cancellation lists that I have seen. My guess is Songkran will go on, even if it has to be toned down. The Thai government would have a rough time trying to cancel Songkran.

As for Pattaya reversing any of the cancellation decisions, I don't think the local government has the authority to do that. The cancellations are coming from the national, not local, government.

However:
_______

All Thai national parks and museums now free until February

by Albert Jack
October 28, 2016

All national museums and historical parks nationwide will be open for free for everyone – Thais and foreigners alike – now through the end of January.

In Bangkok, that means free access to places such as the main Bangkok National Museum, Royal Elephant National Museum and National Museum of Royal Barges, according to an announcement Thursday by the Fine Arts Department.

Thailand’s 10 national historical parks are located in as many provinces. They include the old capital of Ayutthaya, ancient grounds in Sukhothai and a millennium-old Khmer temple complex in Buriram. Four are registered as UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

Free entry at all sites excludes fees for vehicles, parking, bicycle rental and other costs.

http://pattayaone.news/en/thai-national ... -february/
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Gaybutton wrote:As for Songkran, that holiday is still 6 months away.
Yes, and a good time to start thinking of escape plans before the hotel rates and airfares increase from the demand of sane people looking to get out of town when the water madness begins.

At Bangkok travel fairs many booths offer Songkran escape packages and it's an escape from Songkran not for Songkran.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I think these annual three days of insanity are actually good for Thailand. Songkran provides those who need it a rather harmless form of release. I've never fled Songkran, but sometimes three days are too many for me, then I just stay in one or two of them, big deal!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:S.G.T. Posts the following
That is so typical of here. One source says it's canceled and another says it isn't. We'll find out soon enough. My guess is people will be allowed to float their kratongs, but aside from that there won't be any fireworks (other than the ones sold by the illegal vendors), beach parties, or much of anything else.
Gmac

Post by Gmac »

I'm headed over in early November so I'll just have to get my fill of Halloween in the states. Some good old fashioned Day of the Dead.